Thread: Tilly is constipated!!

Tilly is constipated!!

And she's mortified that I'm posting this but moms have to do what moms have to do...

The past 3 weeks or so Tilly has thrown up hairballs several times. This morning she had another hairball and it didn't smell like a hairball throw up, but like actual vomit, so this is how I know it's not just a bad case of hairballs. Also, last weekend, Tilly came out of the litter box and into the living room, and scooted across the floor and a poop came out and it was pretty hard and dry. So now I'm thinking that maybe she's had an upset stomach because she is a bit stopped up.

So what I want to know is if it's safe for cats to have olive oil, because I am thinking that I will feed her some wet food with a small amount of olive oil mixed in to help her move things along. Does anyone know if this is ok?

I did a yahoo search for "can cats have olive oil" and this came up under "10 uses for olive oil":

#4:
    Hairball Solution

This one is particularly important for cat owners. Hairballs are a common problem in cats. Just add a couple teaspoons of olive oil into a can of your cat’s food and your furry family members will be hairball free in no time.

I don't know that I'd add a couple of teaspoons, that seems like a lot.

Maybe wait for more replies before doing it - I've never done it so would wait and find out if anyone has first.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

I googled it as well and got mixed reviews.. someone said that salmon oil is better, another said canola oil. Then I also read that too much can cause vitamin A deficiency. So now I'm just worried in general She's not uncomfortable at all nor is she suffering, she has just been having more hairballs lately. It's also been REALLY hot here, and my A/C is broken so I'm sure it gets quite warm in my apartment when I'm at work (I do leave fans on for them) so she might not be drinking enough water and she might be shedding more. So even if I don't do the oil thing, I'm going to start supplementing their diets with some wet food every night (which Tilly will LOOOVE.. she mews like a kitten when I ask her "do you want some fishies???" - it's too cute )

Nomi: Max has been extremely constipated as part of the CRF. I mix in some Lactulose in his food and it's working like a charm. Lactulose is not really a laxative...but more of a stool softener so it makes it easier to go. Lactulose can be purchased at any drug store behind the pharmacy counter. It's actually for hoomans but can be used on cats. I also used it on RB Speckles and it really helped.

{{{hugs}}} and good luck.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Nomilynn - the wet food is a great idea. Apparently cats should have some wet food every day.

I mix a good teaspoon size with a bit of warm water. I also add Omega 3 - 6 oil that I get from the vets.

I hope Tilly is better soon!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

When my Pidge became so constipated that she was blocked, Dr. Lee recommended Cat Lax. It's a caramel flavored gel in a tube. I squeeze a little out and she licks it right off my finger. She hasn't had a problem since. It doesn't cause loose stools; it just prevents constipation. You can buy it at pet stores. It really works.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

if you can find tuna in oil, they can have that too.

Any of the "kitty lubes" in a tube work pretty well. They're all basically flavored petroleum jelly.
    I've been finally defrosted by cassiesmom!
    "Not my circus, not my monkeys!"-Polish proverb

Thanks for all the tips!

In addition to the constipation, I want to help her with the hairballs so I was thinking the oil might help with that.

Tilly hates ALL the cat laxitives and lubes; I don't think I would be able to even hide that in food. She does however LOOOOVE tuna, and gets it as a treat sometimes.

I have some Lactulose here at home so I could try that one out too.

Keep all the good advice coming!!

Quote Originally Posted by Nomilynn View Post
    Thanks for all the tips!

In addition to the constipation, I want to help her with the hairballs so I was thinking the oil might help with that.

Tilly hates ALL the cat laxitives and lubes; I don't think I would be able to even hide that in food. She does however LOOOOVE tuna, and gets it as a treat sometimes.

I have some Lactulose here at home so I could try that one out too.

Keep all the good advice coming!!
    Cat Lax is for treating constipation and prevention of hairballs. It's great!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

You can also add some fiber to her canned food. Some people like to add a bit of canned pumpkin (some cats even like it just plain!). My cat doesn't, so I just add a bit of ordinary psyllium fiber (human style, from the drugstore) to the 1/4 can of wet food that also contains his skin/coat and joint/urinary supplements and his antihistamine (and plenty of extra water - it's really more "gravy" than food!) Psyllium is flavorless and proven safe in cats. I just snip the capsule open with the scissors and sprinkle it right in.

The problem with petroleum is that it can coat the intestine and keep a cat from absorbing nutrients. If only they made psyllium Temptations!

Love, Columbine

How much?

Hello,
    Just noticed this thread and it is exactly the same problem that my Iggi has. I'm going to try lactulose, but how much should I give him, how often and do you mix it in wet food?

Sorry for all the questions, but I really hope this stops his little problem. It can't be nice for him.

Well I gave Tilly one capsule full of Salmon Oil in wet food, and it worked REALLY well! I didn't try the lactulose, so I'm not sure about the doses!

Thank you