Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ellie -Mae still not well....

Ellie -Mae still not well....

I am really concerned about my Ellie, even after finishing her steriods, i can tell things are not right with her mouth, since her dental over two months ago we have been battling with this, she has had so much medication, antibiotics, sterioids, injections and pills, you name it we have tried it.

I am going to have to take her back to see Gabe, but someone here mentioned chronic gingivitis, after reading that article i am sure that is what we are dealing with, it say's it is often hard to treat, and unfortunately it seems the case with my Ellie, i feel so sorry for her having a painful mouth all the time.

She has been eating reasonably well, but i mash all her soft food up and sometimes i have to encourage her to eat,i am sure it hurts at times,it breaks my heart to know that,and i am sure the steroids helped her appetite along some what.

I feel very stressed, wondering what we can do for her,gosh that previous owner has a lot to answer for who neglected this wee girl for so long,makes my blood boil.

Please keep her in your thoughts, and any ideas much appreciated.
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

Oh, I am so sorry to hear about Ellie-Mae. It is so difficult when they are not feeling well. And when there's not much you can do, it's even worse.

I will keep you and Ellie-Mae in my thoughts.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I am sorry to read about Ellie-Mae. We had a cat, Raven, whose mouth was so neglected by her previous owner. In the first year that Raven lived with us, ALL her teeth were removed. Raven did really well after all the bad teeth were gone!!! When she was mad at me, she would gum my arm!!!! We sure miss our Princess.....Good luch with Ellie-Mae!!!

Thank you everyone, yes i am not certain if total teeth removal is the answer here, but will discuss with my vet, she has picked up some today and eaten well, not sure whether to just keep an eye on her this weekend and maybe go a bit later, she is does not appear to be in discomfort as such, but i strongly suspect things are not normal in the mouth.

Oh yes i find it quite stressful dealing with two sick cats,not my idea of joy, i can tell you, but i can only do my best for them, and that i am.

Fingers and paws crossed we can get Ellie back to normal and this problem sorted once and for all, but from what i read, it is ongoing and chronic, so i am not holding my breath for such a positive outcome, but you never know eh?
    Furangels only lent.
    RIP my gorgeous Sooti, taken from us far too young, we miss your beautiful face and purssonality,take care of Ash for us, love you xx000❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Ash,your pawprints are forever in my heart, love and miss you so much my big boy. ❤️❤️

RIP my sweet gorgeous girl Ellie-Mae, a little battler to the end, you will never ever be forgotten, your little soul is forever in my heart, my thoughts, my memories, my love for you will never die, Love you my darling little precious girl.❤️❤️

RIP our sweet Nikita taken suddenly ,way too soon ,you were a special girl we loved you so much ,miss you ❤️❤️

RIP my beautiful Lexie, 15 years of unconditional love you gave us, we loved you so much, and miss you more than words can say.❤️❤️

RIP beautiful Evee Ray Skye ,my life will never be the same with out you ,I loved you so much, I will never forget you ,miss you my darling .❤️❤️

My RB Puddy had gingivitis and Dr. Lee gave me a bottle of Chlorhexadine to squirt on her gums and it seemed to help. Maybe talk to your vet about it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

i will mention it to him , thanks Mary, i also read you can put on an antiseptic gel, for cats who one finds too hard to brush their teeth, i dare not even go near her mouth,she does not particularly like that i can tell you, not that i blame her, will discuss all the possible treatments other than steroids, maybe they will give her another injection,i really don't know , she is eating really well today, so i might go early next week, rather than tomorrow, depends on how she is tomorrow, hopefully they might be able to sneak me in.
    Furangels only lent.

Awww, poor little girl. My RB Speckles has a mild case just a few months before she passed. I didn't do anything for it because she ate well and didn't appear to be in any discomfort. She even ate dry food.

Prayers on the way Carole. I hope she can find some relief soon.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Thanks Slick, i did not go in the weekend to the vet, as she seemed ok and was eating like a horse, so i am keeping a very close eye on her, and may just take her in wed night for a check up anyhow.,fingers and all paws crossed she is improving.
    Furangels only lent.

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post

I feel very stressed, wondering what we can do for her,gosh that previous owner has a lot to answer for who neglected this wee girl for so long,makes my blood boil.

Please keep her in your thoughts, and any ideas much appreciated.
    Do you give him tap water or bottled water?

Sam has the same trouble, so I took him for a dental, then had to go back three months later for more meds. A friend suggested I try bottled water. Sam hasn't had to go back since. There have been some minor flares with stinky breath but nothing that stopped him from eating and he eats mainly dry-food.

I rinse the bowl with filtered tap water and then dry it before putting more water in.

Good luck and don't forget to check the source of the water on the bottle.
    Anne
    Meowmie to Lucy Lou and Barney, and Aunt to Timmy (RIP)

Former kitties now in foster care: Nellie aka Eleanor van Fluffytail (at a Cat Cafe), Lady Jane Grey, Bob the Bobtail, and Callie. Kimi has been adopted into another family that understands Siamese. HRH Oliver Woodrow von Katz is in a Sanctuary.

I'm Homeless, but with resources, and learning to live again.

RIP Timmy (nephew kitty) May 17, 2018, Mr. Spunky (May 10, 2017), Samwise (Dec 2, 2014), Emily (Oct 8, 2013), Rose (Sept 24, 2001), Maggie (Fall 2003)

I hope dear Ellie is still eating like a champ!

Re: water - I use a pitcher with a filter in it, and my cats get that water. Might be worth a try.

I started doing that when, years ago, I had a cat and my roommate had two- and my cat ALWAYS went to the other cats' water dish, which was filtered. Apparently it tastes more like rainwater, cause there is no chemicals in it. I guess cats have really sensitive noses, because I never noticed it. But my cat zeroed in on that filtered water!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    I hope dear Ellie is still eating like a champ!

Re: water - I use a pitcher with a filter in it, and my cats get that water. Might be worth a try.

I started doing that when, years ago, I had a cat and my roommate had two- and my cat ALWAYS went to the other cats' water dish, which was filtered. Apparently it tastes more like rainwater, cause there is no chemicals in it. I guess cats have really sensitive noses, because I never noticed it. But my cat zeroed in on that filtered water!
    My Fur Posse will choose filtered water over tap water every time so that's what I put in their fountains.
    Blessings,
    Mary

well i don't know about the filtered water theory, i don't even drink filtered water myself,not really an affordable commodity for me, or the kitties, but thanks for the suggestions, i will still keep it in mind, she is eating really well again today, i still notice some redness in her gums though, but for now she is holding her own, will just keep very close eye on her for any signs of discomfort and whip her in to the vet if need be,keeping a positive mind about it all and hoping for the best.
    Furangels only lent.

Quote Originally Posted by carole View Post
    well i don't know about the filtered water theory, i don't even drink filtered water myself,not really an affordable commodity for me, or the kitties, but thanks for the suggestions, i will still keep it in mind, she is eating really well again today, i still notice some redness in her gums though, but for now she is holding her own, will just keep very close eye on her for any signs of discomfort and whip her in to the vet if need be,keeping a positive mind about it all and hoping for the best.
    A Brita water pitcher is very inexpensive, Carole. I can't recall what I paid for mine but it was really affordable. You put tap water in it and it filters the water, so you don't have to fuss w/water filters on your tap, etc.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Yes Mary I have often wanted one for ourselves, not sure our budget will allow it, and really not sure it will make a difference, i am not dismissing the idea, but will think upon it,i guess i have to be able to justify an expenditure,by knowing it will make a difference, as we are on a pretty tight budget.

However i do really appreciate everyone's ideas, advice and concern, be sure of that.
    Furangels only lent.

update..

just thought i would give you all an update, Ellie is doing much better now, she is very hungry on those steroids, but rather fussy all the same, but much improved eating today and her gums look pink rather than bright red, so i guess all the treatment is doing something, she will be on steroids permanently though i expect, which i am not too happy about,however if it is the only way we can keep her mouth from being sore, it is what we have to do, there is another drug but it is just way too expensive, and there is no guarantee it is any better, it is like over 4 dollars a day, where as the steroids are only 13.80 per 3mths.

Anyhow progress has been made, so let us all hope it she continues to get better.,fingers and all paws crossed.
    Furangels only lent.