Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Something I don't like about Germans

Something I don't like about Germans

It's their narrow-mindedness, their arrogance, and their way to talk others down. Well, at least in German internet forums. That's why I barely post there, but sometimes I have to.

Like yesterday, when I found that the uploads on fotocommunity.de were no longer working with Firefox. I even downloaded the new Firefox version, but it was still not working. So I asked in the "informative general talk"-forum on fotocommunity if there were others with the same problem. Was told to empty the cache folder which I wanted to do, but I couldn't find the function in the new Firefox version, so I asked for advice. Eventually I found it, emptied the folder and the problem was solved. So far, so good.

This morning, there was a new reply in this thread, someone asked if this was a forum for "DAUs" (German term, Dümmste anzunehmende User, "most stupid user possible") who are not capable to do the most simple things at the computer. I ignored that, but it really annoyed me.

It's just so typical for my fellow countrymen and is one of the reasons I don't like posting in German internet forums. Another thing is the dictorial way these forums are run. For example, when you post something that has been posted before (even when it's years ago), you will be told to use the search engine of the forum before you post. And after that, they'll close your thread. Things like that.

Or, when you misspell something, it may happen to you that you'll be told to work on your orthographical skills. Saw this happen to obviously dyslexic people several times.

I'm posting in American forums for 10 years now, and I really have to say that I like them so much better, as I barely see things like that happening there!

Anyway, just had to vent a bit and point out why I'm glad that there are places like PetTalk on the web!

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 07-12-2009 at 07:09 AM.

I have seen the same types of things happen on American forums. I have left more than one because of this. Every message board has at least a few jerks, but some seem to collect them. The longer the jerks have been members, the more "holier-than-thou" they get.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Germans are supposed to be the "master race" - according to Hitler - but that is ridiculous.

Kirsten - I don't think I would be posting on any of their forums either, if what you described is typical. Stay with us girl - we love ya'!!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    I have seen the same types of things happen on American forums. I have left more than one because of this. Every message board has at least a few jerks, but some seem to collect them. The longer the jerks have been members, the more "holier-than-thou" they get.
    Well, luckily this never happened to me in an American forum. Of course there were also jerks from time to time, but sooner or later, they all disappeared (used to be like that in the very first forum I registered with; a lot of bickering, but it was still fun)

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu
    Germans are supposed to be the "master race" - according to Hitler - but that is ridiculous.
    Well, the funny thing is... even though most Germans carry a certain feeling of guilt with them re. those years between 1933 - 1945 and would tell you they are so different from the picture Adolf Hitler has drawn of their ancestors, I believe that deep inside they still think of themselves as something like a "master race", obviously the crap made up for us in those dark years is still alive in some peoples' brains, I don't know... At least, they have to do everything with perfection.

Stay with us girl - we love ya'!!
    And I love this place! Otherwise I wouldn't still be around after almost 9 years!

Kirsten
    Last edited by Kirsten; 07-12-2009 at 07:28 AM.

Wow! I wouldn't stay on those forums either if I was talked to in that manner. Leave those sites to the spoilers. That way maybe they won't search for other good sites such as PT and you can post w/a free heart. Jeez, I'm just amazed at how people talk to each other. I often wonder if they'd be so abrasive and brave to do it live, up close and personal. The anonymity of the internet allows some people to be arrogant bullies but I wonder if they'd be like that in person. Maybe not because then they run the risk of getting their faces smacked!
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

The anonymity of the internet allows some people to be arrogant bullies but I wonder if they'd be like that in person. Maybe not because then they run the risk of getting their faces smacked!
    Yup, most likely! But I also wonder why people have to do that. My "virtual self" is not so different from my real life one. Why should I pretend to be somebody else?

Kirsten

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    Yup, most likely! But I also wonder why people have to do that. My "virtual self" is not so different from my real life one. Why should I pretend to be somebody else?

Kirsten
    I think it isn't a matter of pretending to be someone else. I think the internet gives them the courage to be the bullies that they are. They keep it inside when dealing w/people in person. You're not that way, Kirsten, so it wouldn't come out on the internet. IMO, it isn't pretense; it's the real person coming out for all to see.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    I agree. I have passed through several boards, of varying topic content, and it seems there is always at least one jerk.

Nationality plays no part in it - jerks are jerks, no matter the language they speak.

IMO, it isn't pretense; it's the real person coming out for all to see.
    Well, you could be right about that, and in fact, I find this even more scary!

Nationality plays no part in it - jerks are jerks, no matter the language they speak.
    Sure, jerks are everywhere, but what I often perceive in German forums is not only a jerk thing, but a matter of a certain mentality, or attitude. Spoke to some friends about this on the phone today (all Germans), and they felt the same way.

Kirsten

That is terrible someone said that to you, honestly how were you supposed to know. What a jerk!

I don't think there is a certain race in which people are "jerks", but I agree with Grace. Kirsten, if what you say about germans is true you are certainly the exception to that Just stay with us and you'll be fine!

One incident in Italy stands out to me, there was a guy selling knock off watches and my cousin shooed him away with his hand. He wasn't rude, he didn't even say anything to the guy and guy started freaking out. We were in Piza at a cafe and there was a german family next to ours. The watch guy left and the german tourists gets up and starts calling us "ignorant americans". First of all, my cousin wasn't rude in the slightest to him and secondly, it's none of his business. When he saw there was 36 of us and four of them he sat his butt down and shut up. But anyway, it just stands out to me, that has no way hindered my thoughts or feelings about German people. That guy was just a nosy jerk.

Quote Originally Posted by Alysser
    The watch guy left and the german tourists gets up and starts calling us "ignorant americans".
    I'm sorry you and your cousin had this experience with that jerk! Yes, unfortunately, some Germans are like that. If there's someone telling me Americans were ignorant (or whatever), I'm usually telling them that I'm talking to many on the internet, and that they actually are so much nicer than Germans. Usually, that makes them stop! LOL

Kirsten

I'm sorry you and your cousin had this experience with that jerk! Yes, unfortunately, some Germans are like that. If there's someone telling me Americans were ignorant (or whatever), I'm usually telling them that I'm talking to many on the internet, and that they actually are so much nicer than Germans. Usually, that makes them stop! LOL

Kirsten
    LOL, rest assured there are plenty of Americans like that as well. AND some americans are ignorant, can't argue with that logic. But it just confused me what exactly we were being "ignorant" about. It's not like my cousin was a being a jerk to the guy, he just wasn't interested. All races, cultures, religions, and individual people have there "jerks" so don't dwell on it to long.

This morning, there was a new reply in this thread, someone asked if this was a forum for "DAUs" (German term, Dümmste anzunehmende User, "most stupid user possible") who are not capable to do the most simple things at the computer. I ignored that, but it really annoyed me.

It's just so typical for my fellow countrymen and is one of the reasons I don't like posting in German internet forums. Another thing is the dictorial way these forums are run. For example, when you post something that has been posted before (even when it's years ago), you will be told to use the search engine of the forum before you post. And after that, they'll close your thread. Things like that.

Or, when you misspell something, it may happen to you that you'll be told to work on your orthographical skills. Saw this happen to obviously dyslexic people several times.
    You should have seen some of the older Linux forums/newsgroups/mailing lists/IRC rooms/etc. If you *ever* asked something simple, the reply would either be "RTFM (Read The Freaking Manual)" or "JFGI (Just Freaking Google It or Just Freaking Get It)". Now, the majority of them are not like that, but a few still are. Like a lot of the ones related to older Linux distros.

Although, you really should use the search function :P.

Also, at the last comment in that quote, we call people that act like that "Grammar Nazis". We generally ignore them and move on.

Obviously forums are different - and Pet Talk is a very nice one.
    I was always convinced that US-Americans and Canadians are so much nicer but now I would say the bigger a city is the closer it comes to Europe. I feel that in Europe people are breathing down each others neck much more and that makes them more nervous and more aggressive.
    When I have visitors from overseas I always tell them our waiters are grumpy (which IMO they are) and then I come in with my visitors and we meet a very nice waiter who tries to speak English and is very friendly

I don't know any German who thinks of himself as part of a master race. I am sure there are some- but I don't know them. Right now I would say there are not more racist people in Germany than in any other country of the Western world.

About the Germans who misbehaved in Italy: obviously they have been very stupid. If now in Italy you buy fake goods you can get fined really high fines. Italian companies like Gucci don't like to see their purses and watches for 20 bucks- so you better shoo all the sales guys away or you may have to pay 2000 bucks

I worked with German Engineers for years when i worked in Huntsville for NASA. The attitude you mention I observed very often and thought nothing of it. I always just chalked it up as being German. The Germans especially engineering types are perfectionist and that is their nature. Later on in my work experience I was brought in contact with various nationalities that had their own way of doing things. I always attributed it to cultural differences in what was normal.

When Living in The Netherlands my wife had a very hard time adjusting because if you did anything wrong someone would let you know. There may be some unwritten law saying you only go down this grocery Isle this way. She would get cussed out in Dutch and would come home crying almost every day for doing something wrong and usually she had no Idea what. Once she learned more about the people and culture she learned to cope with their difference. She had to just
    learn not to take it personal.
    Last edited by kokopup; 07-12-2009 at 01:34 PM.