Thread: An urgent situation in the Cleveland, OH area; *Update*; 7/14; post #4

An urgent situation in the Cleveland, OH area; *Update*; 7/14; post #4

I received this email from a friend. If you are in or even out of the area and can help in any way and especially if you are able to foster one or more of these cats, please contact the person/s at the end of this post.

Hi all, this is an emergent situation as these cats are locked up in a house that has been abandoned for three weeks. Originally there were 70 cats we are told by the owner (what an idiot!) now there are approximately 35-40 cats and kittens left.
    Elinor Israel and I gained access to the home today with the Lakemore Police when the alledged owner and companion arrived and we witnessed 35-40 cats living in unbelievably deplorable conditions with feces covering the floors upstairs and the main floor. Feces was also in sinks and old mattresses, and on the walls!. THE PLACE WAS COVERED IN FECES.
    There are kittens also.
    We are told by neighbors that the owner left 3 weeks ago. THE SMELL IS SO BAD the neighbors can smell it outside.
    We have video tape of the cats, the inside of both floors to the house, the address, the owners' lisence plate and THE OWNER and the companion with him. Ellinor Isreal has the camcorder tape and I have cellular pictures. The policeman contacted the prosecutors office today and we will obtain a copy of the police report this Tuesday. The Lakemore policeman that answered my call is very nice and cooperative.
    The man threw us out of the house after about 5-7 minutes of taping ,when the policeman walked to his car. ( I asked for access to the inside of the house and he gave me permission while the officer was standing there. )
    The officer contacted the Prosecuters' office and will follow up with them on Monday
    I am calling the Akron Health Department tomorrow morning as soon as their office opens.

Ellie will have the tape edited tomorrow Monday July 6th, and the police department is requesting an unedited tape from us and Ellie will send you the tape also.

Can you help the cats in this situation? Can you talk to the media after we send you the tape? I called them here locally and no reporters showed. We also contacted the Akron Beacon Journal but got no reply. We are told by the police officer that the HSUS locally has been aware of this situation for some time.

The Lakemore police will give us a typed copy of the police report on this coming Tuesday with the owners' identification and info on it also, plus the incident report.

Please reply ASAP,
    We need your help!

Thanks,

Lisa Ayers
    1090 Winston Street
    Akron, OH

Contact info: Call Eric @ 330.864.2879 or email at [email protected]
    Also Sarah @www.oneofakindpets.org.
    Last edited by Medusa; 07-14-2009 at 05:49 AM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

The Humane Society took 12 of the cats so that's a start. It was on the Cleveland news on two channels yesterday so perhaps that will help to find homes for these babies.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Another good update

Eric is working tirelessly for these cats. I've offered to help him w/transport. So if anyone is interested in fostering or adopting any of these poor babies, please contact Eric or PM me. His info is posted in the first post. The first link below is a video. The second is a newspaper article.

http://www.fox8.com/news/wjw-cathous...tory?track=rss

http://www.akronnewsnow.com/news/ite...A_Mess_Of_Cats
    Last edited by Medusa; 07-11-2009 at 07:24 PM.
    Blessings,
    Mary

The situation is improving but help is still needed!

Originally it was estimated that there were 50+ cats in the house but it's turned out to be approximately 100. When the mattress was flipped, there were at least 25 cats inside it! So far, 39 of them have been placed. One woman phoned in a $1500 donation to help w/spaying and neutering. However, homes need to be found for the remaining cats. These are all healthy cats. The brother of the owner came by every day to feed them and they're disease free. Obviously, since the home has been foreclosed, the bank wants the cats out of there and the sooner the better. If you or anyone you know can find room in your heart and home for another cat, please PM me or use the contact info in the first post.

ETA: I edited this post because I just received word that the estimated number of cats went from 50 to 75 and then to 100. If ever there was an example of why cats should be spayed and neutered, this is it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Mary, I'm sorry, I wish I could help. We cannot have even one more cat with Pinot's status; she's a time bomb to other cats (she is a possibly lethal carrier of a viral disease). I can't place other cats in that situation.

Oh My My such a Very Sad Story for the Babies.. Yes they all look Great & Healthy.. I do Pray that they all get Good Loving Homes.. Good Luck & Keep Us Posted ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>