Thread: new boa!

new boa!

our new suriname female boa arrived today. We are hoping that when she grows up she will be Sams girlfriend. I hope he falls in love with her as much as we have!

love that tail!

such a little lady

about 2 months old

that's all for now!

She's pretty.

Do snakes like that not ever bite much? I'd be afraid to hold one for long--too afraid it might swing around and bite me!!

The only time I've ever held a snake was when I was 10 years old and they had this lady bring out tons of kinds of snake telling about them and the last snake was a boa and she let a kid from each class come down and hold part of it up.
    The other time was when I was about 18 I guess and there was a 5 ft. long rat snake in my duck's nest trying to get her eggs and I was afraid it might bite my duck so I grabbed it and threw it out.
    That's all the snake I've ever touched!!
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

lol... I grew up with two older brothers so we've always had snakes. i remember we used to go out and catch them all the time and bring them home to my mom. She had no choice but to get used to them, lol. Boas are very calm, easy going snakes. They are not very likely to bite, but like all animals there is that chance. They are always fun to have around and are great pets.

She is a beauty, congratulations!
    I've Been Frosted

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I'm not a snake lover, but I have to admit that she really has beautiful markings. How big will she get? - and how big is Sam? They don't bite? - but they squeeze, don't they?
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

She's stunning!! I hope to have a redtail someday.

Have you thought of a name for her? How about some shots of Sam!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

She is beautiful! So her tail will always be red like that? That's interesting.
    I'd also like to see some pix of Sam.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I'm not a snake lover, but I have to admit that she really has beautiful markings. How big will she get? - and how big is Sam? They don't bite? - but they squeeze, don't they?
    she is only around a foot long right now but since she is a female she will grow to be 12 to 13 feet long within three years. Sam is 1 year old and he is about 4 feet long right now. He will probably olny grow to be between 8 and 10 feet long. Most likely 8. They are constrictors which means that after they have bitten their pray they coil around it and sqeeze it untill it can no longer breath before they swallow it.

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    She is beautiful! So her tail will always be red like that? That's interesting.
    I'd also like to see some pix of Sam.
    yes.. her tail will always be that beautiful red color. I'll post some pics of sam soon

Quote Originally Posted by ramanth View Post
    She's stunning!! I hope to have a redtail someday.

Have you thought of a name for her? How about some shots of Sam!
    Yes.. we named her Jade

When I was a kid for show and tell one parent brought a HUGE snake. He let it on the floor at the end and said kids could touch it, probably would be issues with that now. I touched it first and only one other kid did after.

It was calm but was black or almost black green, was so long ago.

Very nice markings.