Thread: Dog agression to other dog

Dog agression to other dog

I have a 1 year old male beagle. He growled at my son and I when we would discipline him. He would at times bite us as well. He would not bite my husband. We were told that we had to establish dominance with him. He also needed a lot of activity, and had separation anxiety. We neutered him and started to establish our dominance, the aggression towards my son and I stopped. We got another dog, a Husky/Shepard mix female puppy, for a playmate. This stopped his separation anxiety, and gave him a playmate. But a couple of months after we got our girl, our beagle started to have episodes of aggressive biting and growling fits towards her. She would roll over on her back and cry, but he would not stop, he would actually start to bite harder. We would need to pull him off of her. If we didn't lock him in another room, he would just go after her again. Our girl shows no mean bone in her body, and does not fight back. As of now, our beagle will attack our girl multiple times a day. It does not matter what they are doing. It seems spontaneous. Does anyone know why he does this, and how to stop it?

Quote Originally Posted by Christina p View Post
    I have a 1 year old male beagle. He growled at my son and I when we would discipline him. He would at times bite us as well. He would not bite my husband. We were told that we had to establish dominance with him. He also needed a lot of activity, and had separation anxiety. We neutered him and started to establish our dominance, the aggression towards my son and I stopped. We got another dog, a Husky/Shepard mix female puppy, for a playmate. This stopped his separation anxiety, and gave him a playmate. But a couple of months after we got our girl, our beagle started to have episodes of aggressive biting and growling fits towards her. She would roll over on her back and cry, but he would not stop, he would actually start to bite harder. We would need to pull him off of her. If we didn't lock him in another room, he would just go after her again. Our girl shows no mean bone in her body, and does not fight back. As of now, our beagle will attack our girl multiple times a day. It does not matter what they are doing. It seems spontaneous. Does anyone know why he does this, and how to stop it?
    What do you mean by "discipline" him? What do you mean by "establish dominance"? Have you disciplined him for growling/snapping at the puppy? Has your Beagle ever actually done harm to the puppy, or is it all for show? What do you do before/during/after the "attacks"? Are you nearby when he attacks her? How is your Beagle with other dogs?

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

We have established dominance over him by laying him on his back and putting our hands around his throat until he stops growling at us. We also grab him by the snout and hold it closed till he stops growling. We discipline him by rewarding good behavior, and putting him in a time out when he is bad. There are always treats involved with good behavior. He does hurt our girl pup. He means it when he bites her. He is not playing. He scares the piss out of her literally. Sometimes we are there, others we are not in the room, but we always come running to get him off of her. When we get him off her, we sternly say bad boy, and put him in time out. Our beagle loves other dogs. It is only her he is that way with. He also loves people. It was only my son and I we had a problem with.

Christina,

Are you still checking pet talk?

Reply to this and we will try to help.