Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Plott Hound owners?

hello

my female dog looks like it could be verde sister and my dog is pit bull,rottweiler,visla mix and she also has double coat which came from the rottweiler ill put up pix soon

Questions about Plott hounds

I am interested in a female Plott hound at our local animal shelter (Sierra Vista, Arizona) She is an adult that was rescued from a breeding situation, adopted, then returned to the shelter because the family couldn't keep her. I know they're an active breed. I have a small fenced yard (5' chain link) Are they jumpers? We have a dog park here in town where she could run off leash. I walk my other dog (mini schnauzer) twice a day also. Would that be enough exercise for this dog? How about cats? Think they could get along? Any info you all could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much!

im thinking maybe a dutch shepherd mix

lol this is an old thread. I really don't see Dutch Shepherd. They aren't really all that common.
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Pepper: Same exact dog, so it seems. What do you think?

This is so incredibly late, but I adopted a dog from animal control and it looks the same! I lived at the time in a small FL town, cattle country, and this is what the animal control and others call a "curr" or cattle dog. Plott's are more common down here, I think. I am convinced she is part Plott Hound, as well, with something else, either pit bull or lab. She has a double coat, looks like the same muzzle, fur type, and tail looks similar as Verde's, too. She even lays on the couch the same , and has the same demeanor that is characteristic of a Plott (from what I've researched: loyal, indifferent mostly to other dogs, very loving and friendly to their owner, hunter, etc.). Let me know what you think! I'd love to hear a response, as I am trying to figure out what she is, too. She is about 3 now. Just a lover, she is. Either way, I am sure your Verde makes you very happy!! I love that you love your dog and adopted her!!

[IMG]\\SEM-1\hixa0701$\My Documents\Downloads\Pepper.jpg[/IMG]

[IMG]Pepper.jpg[/IMG]

QUOTE=blue;2166136]A few people now have asked if Verde was a Plott Hound. Her ears and muzzle dont match a Plott Hound but her body, coloring, and temperment are close.

Do Plott Hounds have a double coat? I thought she was a Grey Hound/Pit Bull mix, but niether breed has a double cout like she does.

There doesnt seem to be any PH breeders in AK but that doesnt exlude the breed from her mix.

Ive posted her pics before but here they are again. Im interested if she could be part Plott Hound.

[/QUOTE]

Hey, Annie, welcome! Your pictures need to uploaded - you can post them as attachments if they are not already on the Internet somewhere, or make yourself an Album here to put them in! See this thread for details!
    I've Been Frosted

Welcome! No they do not have a double coat. Your dog may be mixed but there is definately Plott there. Maybe Plott Hound/Lab. Whatever she is she's beautiful!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Hmm

Quote Originally Posted by highdesertmom View Post
    I am interested in a female Plott hound at our local animal shelter (Sierra Vista, Arizona) She is an adult that was rescued from a breeding situation, adopted, then returned to the shelter because the family couldn't keep her. I know they're an active breed. I have a small fenced yard (5' chain link) Are they jumpers? We have a dog park here in town where she could run off leash. I walk my other dog (mini schnauzer) twice a day also. Would that be enough exercise for this dog? How about cats? Think they could get along? Any info you all could give me would be GREATLY appreciated. Thank you so much!
    They are high energy dogs and how long would the walks be?? Not so sure about the jumping part, we kept ares on a chain because they willl run for miles! It's in the blood to hunt things! But maybe if they were raised at a yound age with the cats im sure they will be fine.

Old thread warning. We ought to have a retirement archive for when threads get too old so they aren't dug up. I can't believe nobody mentioned this dog's rose shaped ears being characteristic of a sighthound though. Whippet maybe. Sighthound fits the body, those feet, and the color.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton