Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dont Want Insurance, dont offer insurance? Get Fined!

Dont Want Insurance, dont offer insurance? Get Fined!

Quote Originally Posted by The AP
    Under Senate health care plan, either way you pay
    By RICARDO ALONSO-ZALDIVAR, Associated Press Writer
    Fri Jul 3, 7:25 am ET

WASHINGTON – First you paid to insure your car. Soon you may have to add health insurance premiums to that stack of monthly bills as well.

In a revamped health care system envisioned by senators, people would be required to carry health insurance just like motorists must get auto coverage now. The government would provide subsidies for the poor and many middle-class families, but those who still refuse to sign up would face fines of more than $1,000.

The details were unveiled Thursday in a health care overhaul bill supported by key Senate Democrats looking to fulfill President Barack Obama's top domestic priority.

The Congressional Budget Office estimated the fines would raise around $36 billion over 10 years. Senate aides said the penalties would be modeled on the approach taken by Massachusetts, which now imposes a fine of about $1,000 a year on individuals who refuse to get coverage. Under the federal legislation, families would pay higher penalties than individuals.

Called "shared responsibility payments," the fines would offset at least half the cost of basic medical coverage, according to the legislation. The goal is to nudge people to sign up for coverage when they are healthy, not wait until they get sick.

In 2008, employer-provided coverage averaged $12,680 a year for a family plan, and $4,704 for individual coverage, according to the Kaiser Family Foundation's annual survey. Senate aides, who spoke on condition of anonymity because they were not authorized to speak publicly, said the cost of the federal plan would be lower but declined to provide specifics.

The legislation would exempt certain hardship cases from fines, which would be collected through the income tax system.

The new proposals were released as Congress neared the end of a weeklong July 4 break, with lawmakers expected to quickly take up health care legislation when they return to Washington. With deepening divisions along partisan and ideological lines, the complex legislation faces an uncertain future.

Obama wants a bill this year that would provide coverage to the nearly 50 million Americans who lack it and reduce medical costs.

In a statement, Obama welcomed the legislation, saying it "reflects many of the principles I've laid out, such as reforms that will prohibit insurance companies from refusing coverage for people with pre-existing conditions and the concept of insurance exchanges where individuals can find affordable coverage if they lose their jobs, move or get sick."

The Senate Health Education, Labor and Pensions bill also calls for a government-run insurance option to compete with private plans as well as a $750-per-worker annual fee on larger companies that do not offer coverage to employees.

Sens. Edward M. Kennedy, D-Mass., and Christopher Dodd, D-Conn., said in a letter to colleagues that their revised plan would cost dramatically less than an earlier, incomplete proposal, and help show the way toward coverage for 97 percent of all Americans.

The Congressional Budget Office, in an analysis released Thursday evening, put the net cost of the proposal at $597 billion over 10 years, down from $1 trillion two weeks ago. Coverage expansions worth $645 billion would be partly offset by savings of $48 billion, the estimate said.

However, the total cost of legislation will rise considerably once provisions are added to subsidize health insurance for the poor through Medicaid. Those additions, needed to ensure coverage for nearly all U.S. residents, are being handled by a separate panel, the Senate Finance Committee. Bipartisan talks on the Finance panel aim to hold the overall price tag to $1 trillion.

The Health Committee could complete its portion of the bill as soon as next week, and the government health insurance option virtually assures a party-line vote.

In the Senate, the Finance Committee version of the bill is unlikely to include a government-run insurance option. Bipartisan negotiations are centered on a proposal for a nonprofit insurance cooperative as a competitor to private companies.

Three committees are collaborating in the House on legislation expected to come to a vote by the end of July. That measure is certain to include a government-run insurance option.

At their heart, all the bills would require insurance companies to sell coverage to any applicant, without charging higher premiums for pre-existing medical conditions. The poor and some middle-class families would qualify for government subsidies to help with the cost of coverage. The government's costs would be covered by a combination of higher taxes and cuts in projected Medicare and Medicaid spending.
    For most of the 17 years after I turned 18 I havent had medical insurance, even if I where employed Ild rather have the extra money in my paycheck then MI. If this goes through Ill be fined for exercising my free will relating to my healthcare??

If it even looks like this will become law there will be even more layoffs and firings. Yay Nannystate Gov ideas!!!
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

blue, how will you manage if you get hurt in an accident or have an illness? i am curious. thank you joyce
    joyce who has princess peanut, spokesdog for the catpack, mojo, magic, kira and squirty, members of the catpack, angel duke, a good dog who is missed and angel alex the wonder dog, handsome prince.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Personally I feel that anyone that doesn't carry at least some health insurance, is putting themselves in a very bad position. If you do have a job that offers insurance at some cost to you and you choose not to get it, that little extra that you pocket every month is small potatoes compared to what you would put out if you needed even some minimal hospital treatment, or an MRI, or a cast for a broken bone, x-rays, and I could go on and on with small stuff that costs big bucks.

However, I don't feel that it should be mandatory to have it. It's your choice. And should it become mandatory, I'm positive that there will be those who still won't get it. Sure - car insurance is mandatory, but look at all that break the law and drive without it anyway. Healthcare insurance will be no different.

And so in the end, the people that do carry motor vehicle and health insurance, are the ones that pay for those who don't - in the form of higher premiums, hospital costs, etc., etc, etc.

It a vicious circle!
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

blue, here are 2 good examples of why you should have medical insurance.

It costs me $23.00 each paycheck, $46.00 per month to have medical insurance through my employer.

I have one medication that has a copay of $25.00 - if I had to pay for that prescription each month out of my own pocket, it would cost me $581.00. PER MONTH. This is a medication I need in order to function on a daily basis... it's not pain meds, it's not even my blood pressure medication. It's for a neurological condition.

This doesn't even count the fact that things are going to happen such as surgeries, etc. You could be healthy like my husband... but he was rushed to the hospital a couple of years ago. His appendix ruptured and he had to have emergency surgery. That's the only time he's ever been truly sick in the 12 years I've known him. He was in the hospital 4 days. Had we ended up paying for that out of pocket, we'd have been bankrupt. Our total cost for his hospital stay and surgery? $500.00

Please, reconsider and take out health insurance.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Scooter's Mom - good examples. And how about those accidents?

I stepped on a dog toy (tennis ball) in the dark, and fell and fractured my wrist a couple of years ago. That turned out to be very costly - approaching $75,000 when all was said and done.

It was so badly fractured that it had to be surgically repaired. Just the metal outrigger that was screwed into my hand and arm was $14,000, and then there were all the other charges - emergency room, ER doctors, x-rays, operating room, anesthesia and anesthesia doctor, surgeon - all that just for the first day. Then it was back to the surgeon and x-rays every week for 7 weeks, then back into surgery after it was healed to have the outrigger removed, and then 6-8 weeks of physical therapy! I had good insurance, and it cost me not one cent for that accident. Could I have paid it with no insurance?? - no way!

Then 4 months after that, I slipped and fell on ice in my driveway and fractured my hip. I don't even want to total up the cost of that one, but again, I paid nothing out of pocket.

So even something that would seems rather simple, could totally wipe you out! To me, those extra few dollars in my pocket that I'm getting from not having to pay for any insurance, just aren't worth it. If it's taken out of your check, you never miss it, since you never had it in the first place.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Scooter's Mom - good examples. And how about those accidents?

I stepped on a dog toy (tennis ball) in the dark, and fell and fractured my wrist a couple of years ago. That turned out to be very costly - approaching $75,000 when all was said and done.

It was so badly fractured that it had to be surgically repaired. Just the metal outrigger that was screwed into my hand and arm was $14,000, and then there were all the other charges - emergency room, ER doctors, x-rays, operating room, anesthesia and anesthesia doctor, surgeon - all that just for the first day. Then it was back to the surgeon and x-rays every week for 7 weeks, then back into surgery after it was healed to have the outrigger removed, and then 6-8 weeks of physical therapy! I had good insurance, and it cost me not one cent for that accident. Could I have paid it with no insurance?? - no way!

Then 4 months after that, I slipped and fell on ice in my driveway and fractured my hip. I don't even want to total up the cost of that one, but again, I paid nothing out of pocket.

So even something that would seems rather simple, could totally wipe you out! To me, those extra few dollars in my pocket that I'm getting from not having to pay for any insurance, just aren't worth it. If it's taken out of your check, you never miss it, since you never had it in the first place.
    Fractured wrist - fractured hip - do you take calcium supplements? How about some extra Vitamin D? Have you had a bone density test recently?

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Fractured wrist - fractured hip - do you take calcium supplements? How about some extra Vitamin D? Have you had a bone density test recently?
    Oh yeah - I take extra calcium and D - but I had a total gastrectomy back in 2000 and my absorption stinks because of it. It was after that, that my osteoporisis took off in a full gallop. I can't take any of the oral bone building meds because of my lack of stomach, and I just started on the Boniva I.V. treatment. It's like the once a year Reclast, but it's given quarterly rather than annually. I go for my 2nd treatment on 7/21. My orthopaedic surgeon said if my bones get any more porous, that he won't be able to see them on an x-ray. Of course the last bone density I had was pretty bad, so I'm hoping the Boniva works. Time will tell!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    Oh yeah - I take extra calcium and D - but I had a total gastrectomy back in 2000 and my absorption stinks because of it. It was after that, that my osteoporisis took off in a full gallop. I can't take any of the oral bone building meds because of my lack of stomach, and I just started on the Boniva I.V. treatment. It's like the once a year Reclast, but it's given quarterly rather than annually. I go for my 2nd treatment on 7/21. My orthopaedic surgeon said if my bones get any more porous, that he won't be able to see them on an x-ray. Of course the last bone density I had was pretty bad, so I'm hoping the Boniva works. Time will tell!
    The Boniva worked for Sally Fields - she was taking the oral dose. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let me know how you do.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    The Boniva worked for Sally Fields - she was taking the oral dose. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you. Let me know how you do.
    Thanks. I'll be on it for the rest of my life. I won't know how effective it is until the next bone density, but even if it just stabilizes and doesn't get worse, then I guess that will mean success.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

My calcium is fine my injury was not a broken or fractured bone, I was just a clutz and this whole thing would have cost me a fortune had I not had insurance.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

I have health insurance. At my current wage, I can't afford to have my husband on my insurance. Nicholas thankfully is covered by the state, but to add my husband would kick my insurance payment to over $200 and since he is self employed his options are limited. Im going back to school so I can get a better job (I hope) with more reasonable insurance rates.
    I sure would hate to pay a fine because of not being able to afford insurance...I would especially hate going to jail for contempt if I didn't pay the fine.
    Just a different perspective.

I personally feel this is a concept whose time has come! I cannot tell you the number of uninsured people in the ERs. Even if they have a cold, they go because nobody is refused care in an ER. Insured or not. So those of us with insurance sit for HOURS waiting with our problems because the ER is clogged with uninsired people with regular problems a regular doctor should see.... but they won't go to a regular doctor because they don't have the money to see a regular doctor. So they go for colds and basic stuff handled in your family doctor's office.

The problem isn't a "free will" issue when its not just you who's footing the bill for millions of unisnured people who flood the ER for non-essential things. Its only free will when you take care of the bill yourself for $50,000 for a one day stay in the hospital. At that point, the $500 monthly copays for insurance start looking mighty cheap. In the past few years, I've had several family members in the hospital for one thing or another. And the cheapest bill would have been $50,000 --- the most was over $500,000. It was all paid by insurance, minus a couple hundred dollar deductible. Of course, we worried about paying the deductible, but its nothing compared to the real bill.

Everyone wants the regime to stay out of their business, but they want to be dictated to when it comes top their health.

Does that include mental health benefits?

The problem with folks who don't have insurance ... and I was one of them for ten years, not by choice ... is that they do not actually take the risk of that decision on themselves.

If it were the case that someone who elects to deny insurance coverage, like Blue, could be denied treatment they could not afford, then it would be simple. Choose not to take the coverage, the face the consequences if you become ill or injured. That's fair. That's the ulitmate "government out of my business" theory.

However, it is not the case. Uninsured people cannot be denied emergency room treatment. This is why our emergency rooms are clogged with people who have a cold, a rash, a sore throat, a toothache. This is why an apirin costs $45 and a bandaid costs $69 at the hospital ... the people who can afford to pay, usually via their insurance, are paying for the hundred people that day who couldn't pay for their treatment.

It has to be all or nothing ... no insurance, no treatment. Or ... require people to carry insurance if you are going to require hospitals to treat them.
    "We give dogs the time we can spare, the space we can spare and the love we can spare. And in return, dogs give us their all. It's the best deal man has ever made" - M. Facklam

"We are raised to honor all the wrong explorers and discoverers - thieves planting flags, murderers carrying crosses. Let us at last praise the colonizers of dreams."- P.S. Beagle

"All that is gold does not glitter, Not all those who wander are lost; The old that is strong does not wither, Deep roots are not reached by the frost. From the ashes a fire shall be woken, A light from the shadows shall spring; Renewed shall be blade that was broken, The crownless again shall be king." - J.R.R. Tolkien

Quote Originally Posted by Twisterdog View Post
    This is why our emergency rooms are clogged with people who have a cold, a rash, a sore throat, a toothache. This is why an apirin costs $45 and a bandaid costs $69 at the hospital ... the people who can afford to pay, usually via their insurance, are paying for the hundred people that day who couldn't pay for their treatment.

That is the problem- the 69 dollar bandaid. BEFORE THEY begin to mandate any HC for the masses the government/BO has to take care of the costs.

This is the effing stupidity that all evil empires put into place, for the good of the people, that kill the people-

It's the old 'carrot on a stick' ploy for us drones. If we don't take the carrot, they will beat the crap out of us with the stick.

How much will implementing all the regs cost us, what happens when you get caught without insurance? Will they get the IRS to dock your pay?

Put you in jail?

Take away your home?

"Oh, NO! they'll send you a bill!"

Find out who the lobbyists are who are paying these morons to pass that bill.

We'll end up paying more for the people who refuse to get insured becausee they will delay going to see a physician and be in worse shape when they do.

The current regime is hell bent on passing so many laws/bills they do not realize the real woirk that needs to be done to put a 'national HC system' into place.

The person who cannot afford HCI will be fined, putting them farther behind the curve when it comes to their finances, then we can spend more money employing thugs to track them down and get the money.
    Last edited by RICHARD; 07-05-2009 at 08:39 AM. Reason: typing while mad and blind!