Thread: I realize she is just 10 months old!

I realize she is just 10 months old!

Is there any special 'dog whispering' way to train your puppy not to 'lunge' at every person, cat & dog they see?

The Petsmart training session I had was a complete joke! The 'trainer' spent most of her time dealing with a very aggresive dog who was clearly raised as the 'alpha'. The handler did not have any control over the dog. All the other dogs in the group obeyed to the basic commands - sit, down, stay, come, off etc. This dog clearly needs aggression sessions!

I have been through one personal 'dog trainer' and now the Petsmart thing. I have read the book written by the 'Monks of new skete'. A retired K9 dog trainer sugggested it would be a great training guide for training my German Shepherd. I read the book 'How to be your dog's best friend!'.

I am open to any suggestions other than the cruel ways of training my dog.

How do you react when she lunges toward another animal? You need to practice redirecting her attention toward you, focussing on you - make her stop, sit, down, whatever commands she knows. Don't start moving again until she is calm. Don't yell, just react and redirect her focus toward you, and stay calm. Enough repetitions, and she should get it. Being a Shepherd, she's smart, but that also means she will challenge your authority from time to time, so school yourself to be vigilant and consistent!
    I've Been Frosted

Hello, Myra!

I am sorry you didn't get the attention you deserved at the PetsMart class.

The Monks of New Skete are now considered "old school", he hee. So please be cautious as to what you take from their book.

On to the lunging. Just what Karen said!

This is what was trained in the classes I took:
    http://answers.yahoo.com/question/in...3034608AAzIMoD

You want to teach "Watch Me" where the dog focuses on you. While feeding the treats as in the yahoo link, the dog should be sitting, facing you. The dog should have it's back to the passer by, and a good clearance distance. You may have to mvoe off a path or sidewalk onto grass to give the other dog walker room to pass your dog without being too close.

It will take time, persistence, consistency (all as Karen said!)

You may want to consider an Easy Walk harness. The leash attaches at the chest area. So the dog pulls and this spins the dog around to facing you. I have heard good things about it, but never used one. In classes, twice the instructor suggested it, the people bought one and next class they were pleased with the progress they were making. Here is a link to show you what it is:
    http://www.premier.com/View.aspx?pag...uctdescription