Thread: Two Cat Question

Two Cat Question

We recently adopted our one year old kitty's sister and it's the best thing we've ever done. They took to one another after only 3 or 4 days. We are wondering about a couple of things. Can anyone chime in and tell us of their experiences. 1) The two are sisters but the new kitty is taller and sleeker. She is a grazer when it comes to eating. The original kitty is shorter and kind of a chunky monkey. She loves to eat and will finish her dish and then try to nose out the other kitty from her dish. Even though they are sisters is the difference in appetites and size a normal thing in the feline world? 2) New kitty is 'more mature' and quiet and tends to Mother the original kitty. Original loves it but also can be selfish--when she is tired of the Mothering she's likely to chase off the other and keep the perch, etc. to herself. Is this sort of thing unusual?

Do what I do...put newest kitty in a bathroom or bedroom with her food, water and litterbox while you feed the others away from her. Eventually, put a babygate in the doorway and feed them on opposite sides of the gate. It'll give them a pleasurable experience while protecting them both if one should get mad.

Oh yeah and one more thing...remember, "There IS no such thing as a family reunion in the feline family". I've got the scars to prove it!!

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

There is always rivalry between two female cats [even kittens and even if (sometimes especially "if" )from the same litter. ] We have had that happen with two females(not related); but have seen it in litters before. The only exception was an older female who tolerated the antics and demands of the younger ones. But usually....
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    I loved reading: Cat Stories by James Herriot who wrote the All Creatures Great and Small series.

Best to start now feeding them separately. Once you have a "fat cat" on your hands, it is very hard to help them lose the extra weight.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Quote Originally Posted by treybabe View Post
    There is always rivalry between two female cats [even kittens and even if (sometimes especially "if" )from the same litter. ] We have had that happen with two females(not related); but have seen it in litters before. The only exception was an older female who tolerated the antics and demands of the younger ones. But usually....
    Not necessarily so. My son's 2 twin girls are littermates and are about 5 years old now. They eat from the same dish at the same time, and I have never seen them spat about anything. They're like 2 peas in a pod! IMO - it's just a matter of each individual personality.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Mine has always been a two-cat household. Never had one kittey at a time.

Currently, the original cat [female] (11 years) was in the house BEFORE the second cat [male] (only 4 years).

The first cat barely tolerated the 2nd at first. Now, it is a different story. They are inseparable. My 1st cat is a grazer; the 2nd a chow-hound.

Moral to the story -- you snooze (at the food bowl), you loose.

Not really . . . I feed the 1st cat "some" wet food in addition to the dry. The 2nd cat refuses to eat wet food -- he ONLY likes dry. So it actually works out quite nicely.
    Sebastian & Miss Minnie