Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: What Do I Do Now?

What Do I Do Now?

I was coming home from work a little bit ago & guess what I seen? Both Roxey & Huney in the middle of the street
    It's a very busy main road too!
    I am so MAD & upset,what do I do?
    Just so happens that the dog catcher was right there as I was pulling up & she had just gotten Roxey in the van, but Huney was standing in the middle of the road. I called & she came to me. So I put them both in the car (soaking wet, it has been raining) and drive to our house around the corner.
    I have ahold of both of their collars & open the door to the house. Huney goes in & guess what...Roxey runs off again
    I had to pretend we were going bye-bye to get her to come back!
    I don't understand, she has never acted like that.
    The dog catcher said that someone called 911 & reported that a dog had gotten hit at that intersection. I checked both of them & they seem fine. I rubbed them down & neither of them acted like it hurt or anything & I can't find any places. Thank God!

But, now what do I do? I'm afraid to let them out in the yard again. The gate was closed so the only way I can figure they got out was to jump the fence. I can't understand. Roxey's never tried to get out before, what happened to make her do it this time?
    Am I going to have to crate them all the time now, only let them out when I can watch? I'm just so terribly upset right now.

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Eeek! What a SCARE!! just glad that they're both ok!
    ~eLLeN~

"Until one has loved an animal, a part of one's soul remains unawakened." ~~Anatole France~~

Oh Anna, I am so sorry to hear about your escape artists' episode! I am so glad that they are both unharmed and that you got to them before they were taken to the pound.

Do you normally leave them out in the yard when you are gone? Can they not be trusted to be uncrated when you are not there? Are they destructive? Perhaps if you keep them in different rooms while you are gone to avoid damages.

If all else fails, you may have to crate them while you are at work.

OMG Anna!!!! Maybe Huney jumped the fence and Roxey followed? What a scare!!!! Kia did the same when I visited a friend. Everyone went inside and we left both dogs outside to play and she jumped the fence. She can't stand to be seperated from me.

I can't leave Kia outside alone if the fence is under 6 ft.

I'm sorry she did this to you. Has she started doing anything else that is odd?

*hugs*
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I am glad they are both ok.

Huskies are such little wizards at getting out. You might have to crate them to keep them safe. Are they trustworthy inside without supervision? What type of fence do you have? We went through several versions of our dog run when we first got huskies. We now have a six foot wire fence, that is also buried two feet underground. Muskwa could clear the fence if he really wanted out, but he goes to work with my husband almost every day. He spends very little time in the run.

Our neighbor's husky used to come visit us regularly when she escaped. He now has a ring of electric hot wire fencing at the top and bottom of his fence. It keeps Abby in and doesn't hurt her if she does get zapped. She learned pretty quick not to touch the fence anymore.

It's so scary when they escape. I am glad both your babies are safe!

That's terrible!

Katie use to jump our fence but I wouldn't suggest doing what Dad did to stop her. He put an electric fence up so the one (and only) time she jump after that she got shocked I was so mad at him! I finally convinced him to build a taller fence (which he hasn't finished! MEN! ) I don't know if you would want a taller fence but its a thought.
    Hold your head high.
    Don't ever let 'em define
    The light in your eyes.
    Love yourself, give them Hell.
    You can take on this world.
    You just stand and be strong
    And then fight
    Like a girl.

Wow! It sounds like you all had a big scare! Do you have a neighbor who is home during the day who may be able to check on the dogs for you? When my brother's dog was younger she learned to go through screens on windows and doors to get out and luckily the next-door neighbor works at home and was able to keep her at her house with her dog until he got home. It is a good thing your dogs had their collars on, I assume they would have an ID tag with your name and number on it in case they get out again and someone finds them.

OMG!! I'm glad that both dogs are ok. And that they did not get hit by a car. I know it has be really scary. I really hope you can find away from them jumping the fence again.
    "Careful what you say, careful what you wish or it may just regret it!"

Oh thanks guys! I'm glad someone was here to read this! Mark is at work & I didn't want to worry him with this.
    No, they aren't destructive when they are in the house alone at all. This has NEVER happened before that's why it scares me so much. I don't know if I can trust them now.
    I was also wondering if Huney could have gone out first & Roxey just followed. Now that she's done it, will it make her want to do it again? I just don't know. She (they) haven't been acting odd at all.
    And yes, we usually leave them out (I'm usually only gone between 2 & 3 hours at a time). Neither one of them liked being crated, they liked being out to play, then when I came home they would come in the house & sleep.
    I don't have a problem leaving them in when I'm gone. I'm just afraid now, will they try & get out when I'm home also?
    Poor Angus, he was just pacing the fence when I came home
    Roxey keeps following me around now & staring at me. She knows I'm upset, because she usually don't do it this much.
    Anyways, thanks. And if anyone has anymore suggestions or thoughts, please, please let me know!

Oh, & they do have id tags & license, good thing since the dog catcher was here!

Huney, Bon & Simba-missed so very much
    Remembering all the Rainbow Bridge Pets

Kia is crate trained. I don't have a yard I can keep her out in but if I leave her out of the crate at my place or my parents, she destroys stuff. But not at Andy's house.

But then, he doens't have a lot of stuff.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Good ideas.....

What about installing an electric/invisible fence inside your fence/yard? They are rather cheap these days. Many of my neighbors have their dogs in their yards this way, just not the regular fence and the invisible at the same time.

My experience is that once they figure out how to get up and over, they will continue! Yikes.

I personally would do a higher, deeper fence, but that may be too darn expensive.

What about a surrounding pen? Wide, tall, etc. but not the kind you can get out of. It sure beats staying inside the house. Maybe you could build one that has a little roof to protect the pups from the rain.

Good luck. I am so glad neither doggie got hurt. I bet you were/are so upset. I would be too! Yikes x 1,000,000!

Oh Anna, I can just imagine how upset you were and are! I would be a nervous wreck. I'm glad neither of them got hurt. I don't have any suggestions but hope you can get a good one from someone else.

osh, you must have been scared to death, I do not know what I would do.

Anna, as upsetting as it might be for the pups, I think "better safe than sorry" until you figure out how they got out. I would have had a heart attack, right there on the spot, I think. I know it scared you to death.

Keep them inside when you're gone, and when you are at home, I'd watch them like a hawk. Whatever got them out the first time is bound to do it again. I just have a hard time picturing little Huney being able to jump your fence!! Are you sure they didn't dig out?

Be safe, take a deep breath, and then consider your options. I'm sure you'll figure out something. And as unpopular as this might be, if it took an electric wire to keep them in, I'd do it in a heartbeat. It's either a little shock to learn a lesson or potentially losing them.

Have a good weekend.

Logan

There's this anti-jump harness on the market. I don't know how well it works. I don't know anybody who owns one. It looks funny but if it saves a life, it might be worth it. http://www.drsfostersmith.com/produc...d=6&pCatId=640

Last edited by Stenograsaurus; 09-27-2002 at 02:47 PM.
    Click here to visit my photo album

"Anywhere I'll ever go and everywhere I've been, nothing takes my breath away like my front porch looking in." - Lonestar