Thread: Music experience: a ghost from the past

Music experience: a ghost from the past

While I was driving to work today, I was listening to one of my old Simple Minds cds, "Live in the City of Light". Don't know why I suddenly felt like it, I did not listen to their music for years! But in the 80s, I loved the Simple Minds; their music was so energetic and their lyrics so inspiring. They made a (former) friend and me doing the weirdest things - like hitch-hiking to Sweden, only with a tent and some sleeping bags on our backs... Those were the days!!

Anyways, listening to their songs today was just overwhelming. It brought back so many memories, and it feels like this music is carrying all the energy of a life lost, a life when I was still young and healthy, and still had dreams... I didn't want to stop when I arrived at work, I wished I could have driven on for hours!

Well, guess nostalgic feelings like this are the best proof that one is getting old! Do you know what I mean? LOL

Kirsten

I just love how music can transport you back to the place you were when you first heard that song. Or the era you were in when it was popular.
    There is one song that always reminds me of the ocean and camping when I was about 14. It's amazing to me that I still remember all the lyrics to these old songs too!! LOL
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I just love how music can transport you back to the place you were when you first heard that song. Or the era you were in when it was popular.
    Yes, it does. Better than any diary... It is so amazing!

There is one song that always reminds me of the ocean and camping when I was about 14. It's amazing to me that I still remember all the lyrics to these old songs too!! LOL
    Which one was that? (if I may ask?)

Kirsten

It's called Here I go Again and its by Whitesnake.

The Styx remind me of when I was little and my brother would blast his stereo in his car out in the garage, making everything in the house rattle.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

"Don't you forget about me" is my favorite Simple Minds song.
    When I was in college my friends and I loved the movie The Breakfast Club and we played the soundtrack all the time and that was our favorite song on it.
    I also love all the U2 songs, the older ones really take me back.
    U2 just started their new tour in Barcelona the other night and they played Ultraviolet and The Unforgettable Fire two of my favorite songs of theirs.
    I really hope that they play them when I see them in concert in September.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

It's called Here I go Again and its by Whitesnake.
    Ah, I remember that one! I listened a lot to it in the fall of 1987 which was also a very intensive era in my biography.

"Don't you forget about me" is my favorite Simple Minds song.
    I love that one, too, along with several others. And yes, I remember it was on the "Breakfast Club soundtrack".

I also love all the U2 songs, the older ones really take me back.
    Same here, I remember when "The Joshua Tree" was released, I think that was the spring of 1987. The first time I heard "With or Without You", I was in the bathroom of a motorway restaurant.

It's funny that the Simple Minds and U2 were often compared to each other in the 80s. Maybe because they really had a political message in their songs. And both Jim Kerr and Bono were two of the most charismatic singers of that time. I still remember the Simple Minds performing at the Free Nelson Mandela concert when they sang Biko along with Peter Gabriel. Awesome!

Have fun at the U2 concert!

Kirsten

Kirsten just today I was looking at videos on YouTube from the Live Aid concert from 1985.
    There were so many great bands that played there including Simple Minds and U2. I wish I could have seen it live.
    You should check out some of the videos on YouTube just search for Live Aid or Simple Minds.
    U2 played another great concert in Barcelona tonight, I got to hear some of it live online including them playing Electrical Storm live for the first time.
    They will be playing in Germany later this summer, if you get a chance to get tickets you should go!
    They are such a great band to see live in concert.
    RIP sweet Samantha
    6/26/88-8/28/08
    ----------------------------

Milly & Izzy

I'm sure U2 live is phantastic! I haven't been to concerns for many years due to back problems, but maybe I should give it another try.

Isn't it great that you can see all the old stuff on youtube? Will go looking now!

Kirsten

Wow, I guess I could spend hours on youtube, watching all this old stuff...

I even found a video of one of my Simple Minds faves, Waterfront! The 80s were so cool!

Kirsten

Wow, it seems a lot of us have the same taste in music! Nothing can beat the seventies, though!

Taz-Zoey, if you like Whitesnake, you must also like Deep Purple? "A Child in Time" was the very first album I bought - 71 in Tenerife. My girlfriend and I had some visitors in our hotel room and we borrowed a record player from them and played that album full blast every day. LOL! Oh what memories! One of my favourite Deep Purple now is "Perfect Stranger"

John (Jonza) was lucky though, during the eighties when he visited his mom in England, he also visited Alvin Lee, and Alvin took him to a Whitesnake concert, backstage and all, as Alvin is a good friend of Jon Lord. Ohh, if only I could have been there!

U2 are absolutely one of best bands ever! Go to the concert, Kirsten!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Quote Originally Posted by Randi
    U2 are absolutely one of best bands ever! Go to the concert, Kirsten!
    Don't know if my back would make it through a concert; also, it's a money thing these days...

But I saw Simple Minds live in concert several times in the early 90s. An awesome experience!

Kirsten

Yeah, it's expensive these days, isn't it! But while you're on Youtube, go and listen to "Riding with the King" by Clapton/BB King - it's great!!

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Okay, I will check that out!

Kirsten

I met Jim Kerr at a show in SF way back in the day. It was a radio sponsored show and an ecclectic mix of people to say the least. Other than Simple Minds, Courtney Love was on the bill Crazy ass woman! But what endeared Jim to me most was how truly EXCITED he was to see Tom Jones Cute as a button and shorter than me which is nearly physically impossible! Ahhh..memories!

Wow, that is so cool that you met Jim Kerr! I love his Scottish accent btw. And yes, I think I read somewhere that he has always been a fan of Tom Jones.

Kirsten