Page 4 of 124 FirstFirst 123456789101112131454104 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

London, England (AHN) - The world's oldest man and one of the last surviving World War I servicemen, Henry Allingham has passed away at the age of 113. Born in 1896, Allingham became the world's oldest man in June.

Allingham who served with the Royal Naval Air Service in WWI, transferred to the Royal Air Force when it was created. Queen Elizabeth in a statement once said he was "one of the generation who sacrificed so much for us all."

--------------

I loved his quote about his longevity.

Cigarettes, booze and wild, wild women.

God bless you, Mr. Allingham.

July 19, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Brandon T. Lara, 20, of New Braunfels, Texas, died July 19 while supporting combat operations in Anbar province, Iraq. He was assigned to 3rd Battalion, 4th Marine Regiment, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

July 18, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Cpl. Benjamin S. Kopp, 21, of Rosemount, Minn., died July 18 at Walter Reed Army Medical Center in Washington of wounds suffered July 10 in Helmand province, Afghanistan, when insurgents attacked his unit using small arms fire. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, Fort Benning, Ga.

4. This week there were 11 deaths reported in the LA Times. The most in one week for a long while...

I think I heard on the evening news - 30 so far this month. That may have been including the 4 who died today. They are not on the DoD site yet.

Another bad day

July 20, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of four soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. They died July 20 in Wardak Province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near their vehicle followed by an attack from enemy forces using small arms and rocket-propelled grenade fires. They were assigned to the 4th Battalion, 25th Field Artillery (STRIKE), 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, N.Y.

Killed were:

Sgt. Gregory Owens Jr., 24, of Garland, Texas.

Spc. Anthony M. Lightfoot, 20, of Riverdale, Ga.

Spc. Andrew J. Roughton, 21, of Houston, Texas.

Pfc. Dennis J. Pratt, 34, of Duncan, Okla.

July 21, 2009

he Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Spc. Raymundo P. Morales, 34, of Dalton, Ga.
    , died July 21 in Methar Lam, Afghanistan, of injuries sustained during a vehicle roll-over. He was assigned to the 148th Brigade Support Battalion, Cedartown, Ga.

The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation.

July 22, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. They died July 22 in Zabul Province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near their vehicle. They were assigned to the 4th Engineer Battalion, Fort Carson, Colo.

Killed were:

Sgt. Joshua J. Rimer, 24, of Rochester, Pa.; and

Spc. Randy L.J. Neff, Jr., 22, of Blackfoot, Idaho.

July 23, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Ryan H. Lane, 25, of Pittsburgh, Pa., died July 23 of wounds suffered while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to the 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

23 July 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two Marines who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Jeremy S. Lasher, 27, of Oneida, N.Y., and Cpl. Nicholas G. Xiarhos, 21, of Yarmouth Port, Mass., died July 23 of wounds suffered while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. They were assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

24 July 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Spc. Herberth A. Berrios-Campos, 21, of Bealeton, Va., died July 24 in Salman Pak, Iraq, of injuries sustained from a non-combat related incident. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion 505th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 82nd Airborne Division, Fort Bragg, N.C.

I have no idea if this is true or not so no link or source.

THIS WAS WRITTEN BY A SOLDIER on his 3rd tour IN IRAQ.

Okay, I need to rant.

I was just watching the news, and I caught part of a report on Michael Jackson. As we all know, Jackson died the other day. He was an entertainer who performed for decades. He made millions, he spent millions, and he did a lot of things that make him a villain to many people. I understand that his death would affect a lot of people, and I respect those people who mourn his death, but that isn't the point of my rant.
    Why is it that when ONE man dies, the whole of America loses their minds with grief? When a man dies whose only contribution to the country was to ENTERTAIN people, the American people find the need to flock to a memorial in Hollywood, and even Congress sees the need to hold a "moment of silence" for his passing?
    Am I missing something here? ONE man dies, and all of a sudden he's a freaking martyr because he entertained us for a few decades? What about all those SOLDIERS who have died to give us freedom? All those Soldiers who, knowing that they would be asked to fight in a war, still raised their hands and swore to defend the Constitution and the United States of America.
    Where is their moment of silence? Where are the people flocking to their graves or memorials and mourning over them because they made the ultimate sacrifice? Why is it when a Soldier dies, there are more people saying "good riddance," and "thank God for IEDs?" When did this country become so calloused to the sacrifice of GOOD MEN and WOMEN, that they can arbitrarily blow off their deaths, and instead, throw themselves into mourning for a POP ICON?
    I think that if they are going to hold a moment of silence IN CONGRESS for Michael Jackson, they need to hold a moment of silence for every service member killed in Iraq and Afghanistan. They need to PUBLICLY recognize every life that has been lost so that the American people can live their callous little lives in the luxury and freedom that WE, those that are living and those that have gone on, have provided for them. But, wait, that would take too much time, because there have been so many willing to make that sacrifice. After all, we will never make millions of dollars. We will never star in movies, or write hit songs that the world will listen too.
    We only shed our blood, sweat and tears so that people can enjoy what they have.
    Sorry if I have offended, but I needed to say it. Feel free to pass this along if you want. Remember these five words the next time you think of someone who is serving in the military; "So that others may live..."

Isaac

Only two people have ever effectively given their lives for you.
    Jesus Christ and The American G.I.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    I have no idea if this is true or not so no link or source.
    I have no idea either. It seems to be posted on every message board from here to there.

I do wish, though, that you had posted this in the MJ topic. I would prefer to keep this thread free of Hollywood hype - keep it just for the troops.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I have no idea either. It seems to be posted on every message board from here to there.

I do wish, though, that you had posted this in the MJ topic. I would prefer to keep this thread free of Hollywood hype - keep it just for the troops.
    It was more about the troops then MJ, its why I posted it here.

Im not about to prop up a pop figure at the cost of people fighting and dying so you and I can disagree.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

25 July 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Pfc. Donald W. Vincent, 26, of Gainesville, Fla., died July 25 of wounds sustained while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 8th Marine Regiment, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Yet another from the 10th Mountain Division

24 July 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Spc. Justin D. Coleman, 21, of Spring Hill, Fla., died July 24 in Nuristan Province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked his unit using small arms and rocket-propelled grenade fires. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, N.Y.