Page 26 of 124 FirstFirst ... 16171819202122232425262728293031323334353676 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

UNITED KINGDOM

3 January 2010

It is with great regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the death of Private Robert Hayes, 19, of 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment who was killed in Afghanistan on Sunday 3 January 2010.

Private Robert Hayes was killed as a result of an improvised explosive device blast while conducting a security patrol south of Check Point Paraang in southern Nad e-Ali, Helmand province. He had deployed to Afghanistan with C (Essex) Company, 1st Battalion The Royal Anglian Regiment (Vikings), attached to the 1st Battalion Grenadier Guards Battle Group.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    3 January 2010

The Department of Defense announced today the death of an airman who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Senior Airman Bradley R. Smith, 24, of Troy, Ill., died Jan. 3 near Kandahar Airfield, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained while supporting combat operations. He was assigned to the 10th Air Support Operations Squadron, Fort Riley, Kan.
    I heard about this on the news last night. This young man leaves behind a wife and a new baby, just born in October 2009, that he had never met. How very, very sad.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Quote Originally Posted by cassiesmom View Post
    I heard about this on the news last night. This young man leaves behind a wife and a new baby, just born in October 2009, that he had never met. How very, very sad.
    Yes, it is very sad. This entire mess becomes sadder every day.

5 January 2010

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Spc. David A. Croft Jr., 22, of Plant City, Fla., died Jan. 5 in Baghdad, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device and small arms fire. He was assigned to the 1st Squadron, 7th Cavalry Regiment, 1st Brigade Combat Team, 1st Cavalry Division, Fort Hood, Texas.

From the NY Times, an article about the murder of the CIA agents.

From CNN -

London, England (CNN) -- A British journalist was killed and a second wounded in Afghanistan when the vehicle in which they were traveling struck an improvised explosive device, the Ministry of Defence said Sunday.

Rupert Hamer, defense correspondent for the Sunday Mirror newspaper, and photographer Philip Coburn were embedded with the U.S. Marine Corps and were accompanying a patrol near Nawa in southern Afghanistan when the explosion occurred Saturday, the ministry said in a statement.

"Despite the best efforts of medics at the scene, Mr. Hamer died of his wounds," the statement said. "Mr. Coburn remains in a serious but stable condition."

A U.S. Marine and a member of the Afghan National Army were also killed in the explosion, the ministry said. Four U.S. Marines were seriously injured.

"Both Rupert Hamer and Phil Coburn accompanied me on my most recent trip to Afghanistan," said British Defense Secretary Bob Ainsworth in the statement. "I got to know them well and I was impressed by their hard work and professionalism. My thoughts and deepest sympathies are with the families, friends and colleagues of both men at this extremely distressing time."

In recent weeks, the ministry had worked with Hamer on a special Christmas edition of the Sunday Mirror, containing messages for deployed personnel from their families, Ainsworth said.

"The sacrifice of service personnel is well documented and rightly respected, but this news demonstrates the risks also faced by journalists who keep the public informed of events on the front line," he said.

Hamer is the second journalist to die in Afghanistan in recent weeks. On December 30, Calgary Herald reporter Michelle Lang, 34, died along with four Canadian soldiers when a roadside bomb struck their armored vehicle in the southern Afghan province of Kandahar.

According to a tally kept by Reporters without Borders, Hamer would be the 20th journalist to die in Afghanistan, and the 12th foreign journalist, since September 11, 2001.

This is so sad, I just cry when I hear about these men, and women dying over there in this stupid war. Some of them are so young. I will keep all our soldiers in my prayers.

Willie

Thank You, kittycats_delight for my new siggy!!!

ECUADOR

8 January 2010

Pvt. Christian Javier Quishpe Aguirre, 24.
    Grupo Logístico de Montaña número 1 (1st Mountain Logistical Group)
    Died of wounds sustained when he was struck by a vehicle at a support base in Herat, Afghanistan, on January 8, 2010

DENMARK

8 January 2010

Pvt. Simon S. Hoffmann, 23.
    2. Lette Opklaringseskadron, Opklaringsbataljonen, Gardehusarregimentet (2nd Facilitate Solution Squadron, Solution Battalion, Guard Hussar Regiment)

Killed when his vehicle struck a roadside bomb near Forward Operating Base Armadillo in Nahri Sarraj district, Helmand province, Afghanistan, on January 8, 2010

7 January 2010

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. 1st Class Jason O. B. Hickman, 35, of Kingsport, Tenn., died Jan. 7 at Forward Operating Base Salerno, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered earlier that day at Combat Outpost Bowri Tana, when enemy forces attacked his unit with an improvised explosive device and small arms fire. He was assigned to Brigade Special Troops Battalion, 4th Airborne Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

9 January 2010

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. The initial press release had an incorrect name due to a clerical error. However, the correct family was notified by Marine Corps officials.

Lance Cpl. Mark D. Juarez, 23, of San Antonio, Texas, died Jan. 9 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

10 January 2010

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Jacob A. Meinert, 20, of Fort Atkinson, Wis., died Jan. 10 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 1st Battalion, 3rd Marine Regiment, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

Iraq -

There have been 4,693 coalition deaths -- 4,376 Americans, two Australians, one Azerbaijani, 179 Britons, 13 Bulgarians, one Czech, seven Danes, two Dutch, two Estonians, one Fijian, five Georgians, one Hungarian, 33 Italians, one Kazakh, three Latvians, 22 Poles, three Romanians, five Salvadoran, four Slovaks, one South Korean, 11 Spaniards, two Thai and 18 Ukrainians -- in the Iraq war as of January 11, 2010, according to a CNN count.

At least 31,616 U.S. Troops have been wounded in action, according to the Pentagon.

Afghanistan

There have been 1,569 coalition deaths -- 947 Americans, 11 Australians, one Belgian, 246 Britons, 138 Canadians, three Czech, 29 Danes, 21 Dutch, seven Estonians, one Finn, 37 French, 31 Germans, two Hungarians, 22 Italians, three Latvian, one Lithuanian, four Norwegians, 16 Poles, two Portuguese, 11 Romanians, one South Korean, 27 Spaniards, two Swedes and two Turks -- in the war on terror as of January 11, 2010, according to a CNN count.

At least 4,748 U.S. personnel have been wounded in action, according to the Pentagon. In addition to the military deaths, one Jordanian and 11 U.S. intelligence operatives have died in Afghanistan.

6 January 2010

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Pfc. Michael R. Jarrett, 20, of North Platte, Neb., died Jan. 6 in Balad, Iraq, of injuries sustained from a non-combat related incident. He was assigned to the 2nd Battalion, 159th Aviation Regiment, 12th Combat Aviation Brigade, Illesheim, Germany.

The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation.