Page 20 of 124 FirstFirst ... 10111213141516171819202122232425262728293070120 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Richard, the C-130 is the plane my son flew when he was on active duty.

I remember when he took us into the cockpit; I couldn't get over all the buttons, gauges and switches. He reminded me that when I was working in the ICU, there were a lot of the same things. You get used to what you're working with.

31 October 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Cesar B. Ruiz, 26, of San Antonio, Texas, died Oct. 31 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to Marine Forces Reserve, New Orleans.

2 November 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Spc. Jonathon M. Sylvestre, 21, of Colorado Springs, Colo., died Nov. 2 in Kut, Iraq, of injuries sustained from a non-combat related incident. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 10th Field Artillery Regiment, 3rd Heavy Brigade Combat Team, 3rd Infantry Division, Fort Benning, Ga.

The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation.

UNITED KINGDOM

3 November 2009

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm the names of the five Servicemen killed in Afghanistan on Tuesday 3 November 2009.

The soldiers were all killed as a result of gunshot wounds sustained in an attack in the Nad-e'Ali District of Helmand Province.

The five personnel are:

Sergeant Major Darren Chant, 1st Battalion The Grenadier Guards

Sergeant Matthew Telford, 37, 1st Battalion The Grenadier Guards

Guardsman James Major, 18, 1st Battalion The Grenadier Guards

Acting Corporal Steven Boote, Royal Military Police

Corporal Nicholas Webster-Smith, Royal Military Police
    Killed by an Afghan policeman - article from the Daily Mail, here.
    Last edited by Grace; 11-04-2009 at 10:07 PM.

I was reading today about some quilts that are being made in honor of these wonderful people. They are memorial quilts. There is supposed to be one that's traveling through Florida right now. I want to find one I can contribute to and dedicate my block to one of these fallen soldiers.

Thank you again, Gretchen, for posting this valuable information for all of us to see. The sadness is overwhelming for me but not nearly as overwhelming as it is for their families and friends.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

Crew of the C-130 and UH-1 crash.

The two Marine pilots were conducting routine training about 15 miles off San Clemente Island when their helicopter collided with the U.S. Coast Guard plane.

Marine Corps Air Station Miramar identified them as Maj. Samuel Leigh and 1st Lt. Thomas Claiborne, both with Marine Light Attack Helicopter Squadron 469.

The Coast Guard's seven missing personnel were stationed at Coast Guard Air Station Sacramento, California, where their aircraft was based.

Castillo has said that an investigation was beginning with the Marine Corps. A large debris field has been located, and pieces have been collected, the Coast Guard spokesman said.

The Coast Guard identified its seven missing personnel as
    Lt. Cmdr. Che J. Barnes of Capay, California, aircraft commander;
    Lt. Adam W. Bryant of Crewe, Virginia, co-pilot;
    Chief Petty Officer John F. Seidman of Stockton, California, flight engineer; Petty Officer 2nd Class Carl P. Grigonis of Mayfield Heights, Ohio, navigator; Petty Officer 2nd Class Monica L. Beacham of Decaturville, Tennessee, radio operator;
    Petty Officer 2nd Class Jason S. Moletzsky of Norristown, Pennsylvania, air crew; and
    Petty Officer 3rd Class Danny R. Kreder II of Elm Mott, Texas, drop master.

Guardsman James Major, 18, 1st Battalion The Grenadier Guards
    My goodness, eighteen years old. Your life has hardly started when you are eighteen years old. This is so sad.
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

4 November 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Spc. Julian L. Berisford, 25, of Benwood, W.V., died Nov. 4 in Paktika province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his unit using small arms and rocket-propelled grenade fires. He was assigned to the 3rd Battalion, 509th Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team (Airborne), 25th Infantry Division, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

4 November 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Staff Sgt. Amy C. Tirador, 29, of Albany, N.Y., died Nov. 4 in Kirkush, Iraq, of injuries sustained from a non-combat related incident. She was assigned to the 209th Military Intelligence Company, 1st Squadron, 14th Cavalry Regiment, 3rd Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.

The circumstances surrounding the incident are under investigation.

The Fort Hood Victims

From the Washington Post, the fallen at Fort Hood.

UNITED KINGDOM

5 November 2009

It is with deep regret that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Serjeant Phillip Scott, 30, of 3rd Battalion The Rifles was killed in Afghanistan yesterday, Thursday 5 November 2009.

Serjeant* Phillip Scott died following an improvised explosive device explosion in northern Helmand province.

UNITED KINGDOM

7 November 2009

Rifleman Philip Allen, 20, of Dorset, England. Company B, 2nd Battalion, The Rifles.

Killed when a roadside bomb detonated near Sangin in central Helmand province, Afghanistan.

4 November 2009

Spc. Tony Carrasco Jr., 25, of Berino, N.M., died Nov. 4 in Ad Dawr, Iraq, of a gunshot wound suffered when enemy forces attacked his unit. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 32nd Field Artillery Regiment, 4th Infantry Brigade Combat Team, 1st Infantry Division, Fort Riley, Kan.

5 November 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

They died Nov. 5 in Jelewar, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their vehicle with an improvised explosive device. The soldiers were assigned to the 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.

Killed were:

Spc. Aaron S. Aamot, 22, of Custer, Wash.

Spc. Gary L. Gooch Jr., 22, of Ocala, Fla.