Page 14 of 124 FirstFirst ... 45678910111213141516171819202122232464114 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

Quote Originally Posted by Daisy and Delilah View Post
    I heard we lost five more yesterday while I was listening to AM radio.
    I heard about that, also. I'll include them as soon as the DoD site lists them

24 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of three soldiers who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. They died Sept. 24 in Omar Zai, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when enemy forces attacked their vehicle with an improvised explosive device. They were assigned to the 4th Battalion, 23rd Infantry Regiment, 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.

Killed were:

Sgt. Titus R. Reynolds, 23, of Columbus, Ohio;

Sgt. Edward B. Smith, 30, of Homestead, Fla.
    ; and

Spc. Joseph V. White, 21, of Bellevue, Wash.

After all these years, he's been found and coming home. Big time LES

Thank you, Richard, for posting this.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    After all these years, he's been found and coming home. Big time LES

Thank you, Richard, for posting this.
    He's home.

And it's really neat to see the men and women who took time out from their world to be there when he came home.

Have you heard about this documentary - The Way We Get By

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    Have you heard about this documentary - The Way We Get By
    Looks very good. Had not seen it adverted anywhere.

Of course, a film like that would be a wonderful teaching too to the 'youngsters' of today. I knew a wonderful vet, who has since passed, he let down his veneer to tell me a story about an adventure he had during WWII. I was especially touched-because he took the time to let me into his world-He had killed a man while out to pick up jeep that had broken down.

He shot a sniper that was in a tree and he ended the story with a, "I wondered what happened to him, He could still be in that tree".

It took me a couple of days to digest that. It was not the boastful claim of a man who carved a notch on the stock of his rifle-it was a thought that was older than I was, a genuine lament about having to do something that goes against everything in life we are taught.

The numbers in our current war are bad-but, what did we do when the numbers were Viet Nam sized? Korea sized or WWII sized?

Instead of sending the returning soldiers home with a lifetime pay check and some hidden shame, we are really looking out for our men and women now.

I do not mean to slight anyone who has served, been injured or killed in the ME.

I am questioning what we did with how many thousand WWII vets who saw the same kind of things on a battlefield 60 plus years ago and how they have endured the decades wrapped up inside themselves.

This film shows that these oldtimers were and still are, a cut above the people they walk amongst.

I am six foot two and have no problems looking up to the people in the documentary.......

UNITED KINGDOM

27 September 2009

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that a soldier from 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh was killed in Afghanistan, today, Sunday 27 September 2009.

The soldier died as a result of an explosion that happened during a vehicle patrol in Musa Qaleh District, northern Helmand Province, this morning.

Spokesman for Task Force Helmand, Lieutenant Colonel Nick Richardson, said:

"The death of this brave soldier from 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh is mourned by his friends, colleagues and all of us serving in Task Force Helmand. We know that our loss is nothing compared to the sorrow of his family, to whom we extend our deepest sympathies."

Next of kin have been informed and have asked for a period of grace before further details are released

I will add the name as soon as they release it.

26 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Spc. Kevin J. Graham, 27, of Benton, Ky., died Sept. 26 in Kandahar, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his vehicle with an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.

The UK soldier has been identified -

It is with great sadness that the Ministry of Defence must confirm that Private James Prosser from 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh was killed in Afghanistan, on Sunday 27 September 2009.

Private Prosser died as a result of an explosion that happened during a vehicle patrol in Musa Qaleh district, northern Helmand province.

Private James Prosser was born in Cwmbran, on 14 April, 1988 and educated at Llantarnam Comprehensive School before he joined the Army in July 2008. After completing his infantry training at ITC Catterick, Private Prosser joined 2nd Battalion The Royal Welsh in February 2009.

26 September 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Spc. Kevin J. Graham, 27, of Benton, Ky., died Sept. 26 in Kandahar, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked his vehicle with an improvised explosive device. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 17th Infantry Regiment, 5th Stryker Brigade Combat Team, 2nd Infantry Division, Fort Lewis, Wash.

How can we continue with this war? All I can think about are the grieving families. Those pictures never leave my mind. They send their young people away, healthy and strong, and they come back in body bags.

Please let this come to an end!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

That's what gets me too, and again thank you so much, Gretchen, for doing this and keeping up with it. Every day I read their names and ages and where they are from. This makes it all so much more real than just seeing news reports. All these young (and other ages too) people, with so much to offer, going to fight for their countries and their ideals, cut so short.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

FRANCE

27 Sepember 2009

Three French soldiers died in an unexpected and extremely violent thunderstorm during an operation in Kapisa province, Afghanistan. All of them from 13e Régiment De Dragons Parachutistes (13th Parachute Dragoon Regiment)

1st Sgt. Yann Hertach, 38

Pfc. Kevin Lemoine, 20

Cpl. Gabriel Poirier, 38