Page 3 of 124 FirstFirst 1234567891011121353103 ... LastLast

Thread: In Memoriam

July 9, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Spc. Joshua R. Farris, 22, of La Grange, Texas, died July 9 in Wardak Province, Afghanistan, of wounds suffered when an improvised explosive device detonated near his vehicle. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 87th Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, N.Y.

2. This morning, as every Sunday, I read the obituaries of all those who died in uniform this week.

I have been struck by the ages. More people in their 30's and 40's than I would expect. It is not so apparent from those you have posted, Grace, but has anyone else noticed that.

Quote Originally Posted by Edwina's Secretary View Post
    This morning, as every Sunday, I read the obituaries of all those who died in uniform this week.

I have been struck by the ages. More people in their 30's and 40's than I would expect. It is not so apparent from those you have posted, Grace, but has anyone else noticed that.
    Yes, I have noticed that over time. So I went back through this post. I have listed 25 names (just since June 29th ). 9 of them are 30 and over - one was 41. So that's just over 1/3.

I can remember a couple of years ago seeing one who was in his mid-50s.

July 10, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a Marine who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Cpl. Matthew R. Lembke, 22, of Tualatin, Ore., died July 10 of wounds sustained on June 24 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. He was assigned to 2nd Battalion, 3rd Marine Division, III Marine Expeditionary Force, Kaneohe Bay, Hawaii.

Let's not forget the British -

In a 24 hour period of time, in Afghanistan, they lost 8 young men.

Article -
    http://www.guardian.co.uk/uk/2009/ju...an-afghanistan

Coming home - - this made me cry.

And now for some more of our own.

July 11, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two Marines who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Lance Cpl. Pedro A. Barbozaflores, 27, of Glendale, Calif., and Master Sgt. Jerome D. Hatfield, 36, of Axton, Va., died July 11 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan. They were assigned to 2nd Light Armored Reconnaissance Battalion, 2nd Marine Division, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

July 12, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Staff Sgt. Eric J. Lindstrom, 27, of Flagstaff, Ariz., died July 12 near Barge Matal, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained when insurgents attacked his dismounted patrol using small arms and indirect fire. He was assigned to the 1st Battalion, 32nd Infantry Regiment, 3rd Brigade Combat Team, 10th Mountain Division (Light Infantry), Fort Drum, N.Y.
    Staff Sgt. Lindstrom is the second soldier from the 10th Mountain Division to die in the last 3 days.

July 13, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of a soldier who was supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom.

Chief Warrant Officer Rodney A. Jarvis, 34, of Akron, Ohio, died July 13 in Baghdad of injuries sustained from a non-combat related incident. He was assigned to the 46th Engineer Battalion, 1st Maneuver Enhancement Brigade, Fort Polk, La.

July 13, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of two Marines who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Sgt. Michael W. Heede Jr., 22, of Delta, Pa., and Staff Sgt. David S. Spicer, 33, of Zanesfield, Ohio, died July 13 while supporting combat operations in Helmand province, Afghanistan.

Heede was assigned to 1st Combat Engineer Battalion, 1st Marine Division, I Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Pendleton, Calif.

Spicer was assigned to 8th Engineer Support Battalion, Combat Logistics Regiment 2, 2nd Marine Logistics Group, II Marine Expeditionary Force, Camp Lejeune, N.C.

July 14, 2009

Sgt. 1st Class Jason J. Fabrizi, 29, of Seffner, Fla., died July 14 in Konar province, Afghanistan, of wounds sustained when his mounted patrol was attacked by enemy forces using rocket-propelled grenades and small arms fire. He was assigned to the 3rd Squadron, 61st Cavalry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 4th Infantry Division, Fort Carson, Colo.

The funeral procession of Staff Sergent First Class John C. Beale, take the 12 minutes and watch it.

Link. And get the tissues before you click.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

July 16, 2009

From the Canadian Department of Defence -
    OTTAWA – Our fallen soldier, Private Sébastien Courcy from 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Regiment based in Quebec City, Quebec, returns home to Canada Sunday.

Where: 8 Wing, Canadian Forces Base Trenton, Ontario.
    When: Sunday, July 19, 2009 at 2:00 p.m.

What: At the request of the family, media will be permitted on the tarmac.

Present to pay their respects will be the Minister of National Defence, The Honourable Peter MacKay, Chief of Defence Staff, General Walt Natynczyk and other dignitaries.

Pte Courcy died while conducting operations in the Panjwayi District. The incident occurred approximately 17 kilometres south-west from Kandahar City at around 6:00 a.m., Kandahar time, on July 16, 2009.

Pte Courcy was serving as a member of the 2nd Battalion, Royal 22e Regiment Battle Group.

July 16, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the death of three soldiers who were supporting Operation Iraqi Freedom. They died July16 in Basra of wounds suffered when insurgents attacked their unit using indirect fire.

Killed were:

Spc. Daniel P. Drevnick, 22, of Woodbury, Minn.;

Spc. James D. Wertish, 20, of Olivia, Minn.; and

Spc. Carlos E. Wilcox IV, 27, of Cottage Grove, Minn.

All three soldiers were assigned to the 34th Military Police Company, 34th Infantry Division, Minnesota Army National Guard, Stillwater, Minn.

July 17, 2009

The Department of Defense announced today the deaths of two airmen who were supporting Operation Enduring Freedom. They died July 17 in a F-15E crash near Ghazni Province, Afghanistan.

Killed were:

Capt. Thomas J. Gramith, 27, of Eagan, Minn. He was assigned to the 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.

Capt. Mark R. McDowell, 26, of Colorado Springs, Colo. He was assigned to the 336th Fighter Squadron, Seymour Johnson Air Force Base, N.C.

This one is not In Memoriam - but keep him in your prayers.

The Department of Defense announced today the identity of a soldier listed as Missing-Captured on July 3 while supporting Operation Enduring Freedom.

Pfc. Bowe R. Bergdahl, 23, of Ketchum, Idaho, was declared Duty Status Whereabouts Unknown (DUSTWUN) on July 1 and his status was changed to "Missing-Captured” on July 3.

Pfc. Bergdahl is a member of 1st Battalion, 501st Parachute Infantry Regiment, 4th Brigade Combat Team, 25th Infantry Division, Fort Richardson, Alaska.

Quote Originally Posted by JenBKR View Post
    I was just thinking about this today - yes it's news when a celebrity dies, but then it's all you hear about for months. When a soldier (or even a fireman or policeman) dies in the line of duty, there's a small article on the 3rd page of the paper. Thanks for this thread, and lots of prayers and thoughts going out to those who risk their lives every day.
    I thoroughly agree with the above.
    Since this is the Doghouse, I trust no one will freak out upon reading this joke:
    Q. What is the difference between Farrah Fawcett and Michael Jackson?
    A. About six hours.

Why people worship celebrities is inconceivable to me.
    AvaJoy
    =^.".^=

Avatar courtesy of Kimlovescats . . . many thanks!
    EvErY LiFe ShOuLd HaVe NiNe CaTs