Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pretty Mama ill

Pretty Mama ill

Last night Pretty Mama became disinterested in food. She also had some bouts of bladder incontinence, and diarhea. She's not running a fever. She left the baby box and wouldn't get back in. We took the babies out and bottle fed them. They are now on a heating pad and doing well, for now. Pretty Mama made it through the night, but didn't touch any food or KMR. This morning I gave her some KMR with a dropper. She swallowed it and keeps looking at her water, but not drinking. She looks at the water, KMR, and food like she wants it, but won't eat or drink. She was fine all day yesterday, this only started last night. Any idea what is wrong with her? Do cats get post-partum depression? Please help.
    Last edited by freckledimple; 06-29-2009 at 08:57 AM. Reason: add more info
    Too many pets? What's that?

I looked on line; there is MENTION of post partum depression in cats, but no articles or specifics I can find. Is she completely separated from the kittens?

Do you mean seperate rooms, or has she abandoned them? We moved the babies to our bedroom, while leaving Pretty Mama in the bathroom. She doesn't seem to be looking too hard for them. She just drank a little water.

If she's not nursing, she could be developing a problem with her milk, which would require a vet visit ASAP!

We're taking her today. That's what we're about to do.

Take the kittens, also.

she has a blocked milk duct

OW. That would hurt - and be a reason why she would stay away from her kittens!

I hope it's cleared up and things are getting back to normal. Bottle feeding 5 little ones can lose you sleep - mind you, I hope the cuteness factor helps make up for it.

How are Pretty Mama and her babies now?
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Somehow I thought there might be a milk problem there! What did the vet say?

Non-septic mastitis Hot compresses and massages, if she'll let us We're to keep bottle feeding the babies since they are doing ok on it (KMR every four hours). There's two of us so it doesn't take too, long. The cutenss factor definately helps She still doesn't want them anywhere near her If she gets worse we take her back.

I'm sure as her pain lessens, she'll welcome the kittens back. They are just the source of "owie" right now.

So - no antibiotic ointment or anything? I guess the vet doesn't want to risk the kittens getting any drugs in their system.

Maybe someone here has something else that has worked well.

Here are some bits of info I Googled - by all means, check them with your vet first! This is just info that may ring a bell or fill you in a bit more.

(PS - Kittens are "neonates"? Who knew? )

The treatment for mastitis is usually fairly uncomplicated and rapidly responsive to antibiotic therapy. Treatment of the nursing neonates is usually more labor intensive and difficult. There is some debate on whether or not to let the nursing animals continue to do so. The continued nursing of the neonates, if allowed by the dam, is actually beneficial in the treatment of mastitis since the infected milk is continually drained from the teat. Additionally, the ingestion of infected or antibiotic containing milk is generally not a problem (unless the gland is abscesses or gangrenous) in the young animal. However, the infected milk is of poorer nutritional value, so neonates usually will require nutritional supplementation.
    Interesting list of symptoms here:
    What are the signs of mastitis?

* Pain, heat & swelling of the affected gland(s)
    * Fever
    * The milk may be bloody, yellow or thick
    * The queen may refuse to let her kittens nurse from the affected gland
    * The queen may become depressed & lose her appetite & become dehydrated
    * The queen may be lethargic
    * Sick or dying kittens
    Here's the link to the whole article - it's pretty user-friendly.

http://www.cat-world.com.au/MastitisInCats.htm

Good luck!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you for the link We really don't want them to nurse until we can get Pretty Mama to eat more. We don't want to add to her problems if they suck too much out of her.

On the plus side, the babies are eating well The runt of the litter has even started to open his eyes; and he is a he. He squirted me We are also going to have to get a taller box for them tomorrow

Aw, poor girl. You seem to have everything under control, though. As you say, the cuteness factor helps. I hope that all continues to go well and that Pretty Mama heals quickly.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Pretty Mama has started eating little bits on her own, and the blockage is getting better. The babies are continuing to eat well, too. We even had our first poops last nightmm I had forgotten how sticky and stinky that stuff is Will post new pics later.

Good job! But please don't take pics of the poops!