Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: They're dropping like flies!

They're dropping like flies!

First Ed McMahon, then Farrah, next Michael. This morning Billy Mays, and now Gale Storm.

LOS ANGELES, California (CNN) -- Gale Storm, whose acting and singing talents earned her three stars on Hollywood's Walk of Fame, died Saturday, according to a Danville, California nursing facility where she was a patient.

Storm was 87.

Storm got her first movie contract, a stage name and a husband when she won a radio talent show in Hollywood at the age of 17.

Her first TV show -- "My Little Margie" -- set the sitcom stage with Lucille Ball and other female stars in the 1950s, said Skip E. Lowe, a longtime friend who acted in some of Storm's first movies in the early 1940s.

"She was a wonderful singer," said Lowe. "She started as a singer and became known as an actress and singer."

Born Josephine Owaissa Cottle in Bloomington, Texas, in 1922, she entered and won a CBS Radio talent show that offered a grand prize of a one-year movie contract with RKO Studio, according to her personal biography.

She teamed up with the male winner, Lee Bonnell, whom she married and had four children with. The couple remained married for 45 years until his death in 1986.

I remember Gayle Storm in "My Little Margie". I was very young but my mom used to watch it and I sat with her.

I just Billy Mays on a talk show the other day.

What a shame. You just never know....

I heard Walter Cronkite is extremely ill.

They say *Three On A Match" but we're way beyond that.

I've been Boooo'd!

Quote Originally Posted by K9karen View Post
    They say *Three On A Match" but we're way beyond that.
    When I was way younger, we always thought the 3 on a match meant the 3rd one would get pregnant

I have never heard of her. Lets hope that those left behind are recieving comfort.

And did any of you read about this last week -
    Dr. Jerri Nielsen dies of cancer she found
    Published: June 24, 2009 at 3:03 PM

Dr. Jerri Nielsen, who diagnosed herself with breast cancer while serving at a remote outpost in Antarctica, died this week at the age of 57.

Nielsen captured world headlines in 1999 when she discovered a dreaded lump in her breast and then treated herself with chemotherapy drugs dropped by parachute to the Amundsen-Scott South Pole Research Station.

Her brother, Eric Cahill, told CNN his sister died early Tuesday at a Massachusetts hospital. Plans for services were still pending on Wednesday.

Nielsen's plight was compounded by the remote location and harsh weather conditions. Although she discovered the tumor in June, aircraft could not fly into the station to pick her up until October.

In the meantime, she treated her own disease while acting as the only doctor for the station's 41-person staff.

The Detroit Free Press said earlier this year that she performed a biopsy on herself with the help of other crew members who practiced inserting the needle on raw chicken from the freezer.

Nielsen wrote a book about her ordeal but the cancer came back in 2005 and spread to her brain and other organs, CNN said.

I don't know Gale Storm, but it is very sad. Danville, CA is right by me. I drive through there everyday to and from work.

This craziness needs to stop! This month has been horrible for me! One death close to me and all these celebrities, and my cat (and dog) is sick. Goodness, I can't take much more!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Celeb worshiping needs to end. Yes death can be sad but this commotion over MJ, FF, and BM is absolutly rediculous.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I'm old enough to remember Gale Storm but I mistakenly thought she had passed years ago. I guess that's because of her advanced age and she hasn't done any theatrical work in some time.

If it does come in threes as I've always known it to, then it would appear we have yet another one coming because David Carradine started the ball rolling. Add the 4 that have just passed and that leaves one more.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    Celeb worshiping needs to end. Yes death can be sad but this commotion over MJ, FF, and BM is absolutly rediculous.
    Just because comments are made doesn't mean that anyone is engaging in worship. It's natural to talk about these things and in a small way it can even be somewhat of a tribute. There has been controversy surrounding MJ but to deny the impact that his contribution has made to the entertainment industry and to the lives of his fans and even to those who aren't so enamored w/him is what's ridiculous. Discussion and reminiscing also helps us to be grateful for our own lives and the so-called normalcy.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    I'm old enough to remember Gale Storm but I mistakenly thought she had passed years ago. I guess that's because of her advanced age and she hasn't done any theatrical work in some time.

If it does come in threes as I've always known it to, then it would appear we have yet another one coming because David Carradine started the ball rolling. Add the 4 that have just passed and that leaves one more.
    Are you forgetting Ed McMahon?

David Carradine (by your count)
    Ed McMahon
    Farrah Fawcett
    Michael Jackson
    Billy Mays
    Gale Storm

That's six.

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Quote Originally Posted by Scooter's Mom View Post
    Are you forgetting Ed McMahon?

David Carradine (by your count)
    Ed McMahon
    Farrah Fawcett
    Michael Jackson
    Billy Mays
    Gale Storm

That's six.
    Nope, I didn't forget Ed McMahon. I apparently just can't count.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Three on a match" is another adage regarding bad luck and was supposed to have come from WWI.

Enemy snipers would look across the lines and see men lighting cigarettes - The glow from the fire and people trying to get three ciggies lit, would give him just enough time to sight and fire at the area illuminated by the match.

-----------------------

The strange part about these people passing is the level of 'famous-ness'
    that each had. DC was and enigma, EM was an icon, FF an all-time sex symbol, MJ was bigger than the planet? BM? Someone you liked or chose not to notice......GS? That was a stage name!

It's like Carradine started it and it just ballooned...I got two phone calls about Billy Mays, One for MJ an no one mentioned Poor Old Ed.

Gale Storm stopped the "age trend" They were getting too young there, for a minute!
    Last edited by RICHARD; 06-29-2009 at 09:28 AM.

Nice thread title .
    Rhi *Hooman* Clover *Rottie x ACD* (RIP to my BRD) Elvis and Tinny *The BCs* & Harri *JRT* Luna *BC x*

Threes

I have always heard the thing about things happening in 3's. Apparently we just had two sets of 3's this time.

We always said babies came in 3's when I worked at the Department of Public Welfare years ago. It seemed there were always 3 women pregnant at the same time - LOL.

Quote Originally Posted by blue View Post
    If you don't like it don't read the thread. Just like I'm not watching every single special about Michael Jackson. Not because I don't like him, but because there's only so much you can say about someone.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)