Thread: Lucy's first week

Lucy's first week

Well, it has been a week since Lucy the Chocolate Lab wondered on to my carport and decided to stay. We are both very happy and although I have already began the training process, I do believe she has taught me more than I have taught her.

One of the first things we did together is play fetch. I bought her one of those knotted ropes and took her outside to show her how to run after it once I threw it and then bring it back to me. (simple enough right?)

Well, I had prepared this training speech I was going to give her and then a demonstration of how it should be done. The thing is, I have never really worked with a dog other than to teach them not to pee in place where I might be walking, laying or eating. That seemed the most important anyway.

However, after Lucy came along and I read where they were suppose to be easy to train, I had visions of her balancing a ball on her nose while standing on her hind legs (wait, that's a walrus trick..) Maybe teach her to stand on a ball while bouncing up and down and barking the National Anthem... now that would be fun...

I had tried to teach some of my dogs to fetch in the past, going as far back as when I was 8 or 9 trying to teach my dog and actually getting on my hands and knees to demonstrate how to go fetch and bring back. I always thought I did a pretty good demo....and even tried this method with Desi, my Chihuahua but he wasn't amused.....he just turned and ran back to the house.

My Chocolate Labrador....should be easy. So we began, much to my surprise, the first time I threw the rope, she ran and got it, brought it back to me and stood in anticipation of the next throw....Hmm, interesting... I may not have to demonstrate after all, which is a good thing because I'm not as young as I use to be and the thought of crabbing my way across the yard on my hands and knees just wasn't as cool as it was when I was 9. I threw it again....and again she fetch, returned, waited....Wow, this Lab is smart!

Then it hit me... She isn't just a Lab, she is a Labrador "RETRIEVER," which I suppose explains her natural willingness to go chasing after something and return it to me. So then I wondered, is it that she is that much smarter than my Chihuahua or is she actually the stupid one? It is 100 degrees outside and she would fetch that rope until she fell over and went into respiratory arrest which is alarming to me because I am not sure I could give mouth to mouth to a dog (is it even physiologically possible?)

Lucy has taught me that:
    * having a clean house is over rated.
    * I am glad I have a king size bed.
    * getting 6 or more hours of sleep in a row is not gonna happen anytime soon.
    * Toddler? Child proofing the house? I thought I was done with that after my 3rd child, but now I have another Toddler, the only difference is my wife can't breast feed this one so I have to actually buy special food. There is nothing placed lower than 36.5 inches from the floor and it took Lucy chewing up my Dutch wooden shoes that I bought in Holland 20 years ago to wake me up to the reality of Dog proofing the house.
    * Life is too short to worry about pretty much anything...Dogs don't worry so why should I? Of course, Lucy doesn't have to pay bills or pay taxes.

Lucy is happy, I am happy....my wife is happy, Desi is ...well, Desi is still trying to get use to the new girl and has a few more bumps and bruises than she did this time last week due to Lucy showing him how the big dogs play.

BTW, I had not mentioned it in my first two posts, but I also have a Maltese named April, however, she lives with my Mom in Oklahoma. She is pictured in my sig. We didn't bring her to Alabama when we moved because she had been staying with my mom who owns her sister (muffy) so we let her stay. I miss her though. Maltese' are so cool. No shedding, soft and cuddly and very lovable. The only hard time I had with her was trying to keep her looking like a Maltese.

Every time I would bring her to my house from my moms, she looked like a science experiment gone wrong when I returned her. "They have to be brushed and groomed daily," My mom would tell me. What she really meant is that I needed to hire a personal Maltese stylist and have them come by daily. When I make it big in Hollywood, maybe. Until then, I'll stick with the Chihuahua and Lab. At least when they have a bad hair day the neighbors don't call the Humane society to report dog cruelty.

I guess some man-dog relationships were meant for humans with more patience and hair styling skills than I have. I still miss April though.
    Last edited by v3rax; 06-28-2009 at 10:55 AM. Reason: spelling

Ahhhhh yes, you have discovered the wonders of a Labrador "Retriever".
    As you said, they will run and retrieve until they drop if you let them. It is just instinct. One of our experiments gone wrong many years ago was to breed our Chocolate Lab Maggie with a random female Yellow Lab. My husband, ex now, wanted a Yellow Lab of his own. Well, as odds will have it, we got a litter of 8 BLACK labs. They were great pups and Mr. Wonderful (the ex) wanted to keep one. I let him keep one but at the time we also had a 1 year old learning to walk. (I came out to the kitchen one night after work to see her splashing in a puddle of piddle ) Interestingly enough, the husband was never around to take care of the pup. We named the dog Herbert T. Hoover because we all know that Labs are like Hoover vacuums. Long story short, Herbert T. was HYPER. Being a retriever came in handy to wear the big guy out. Your pitching/throwing arm will get a lot of exercise. Enjoy Lucy! Labs are the BEST dogs ever. My current Yellow Lab, the one I call the senior citizen, is laying at my feet snoring away.........

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Seems to me that you're going to get a lot more of a workout with Lucy than you ever did with Desi. She'll have you whipped into shape in no time - but then again, maybe you'll be spending more time with the chiropractor.

BTW - I just love April - one of my very favorite breed of dogs.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I am sure I will have many memorable experiences with her. I know now why I waited until all my kids were grown. If I had had a Lab like her when my kids were still toddlers, I would probably still be in therapy.

Quote Originally Posted by v3rax View Post
    I am sure I will have many memorable experiences with her. I know now why I waited until all my kids were grown. If I had had a Lab like her when my kids were still toddlers, I would probably still be in therapy.
    No... We had Labs before and during the kids' upbringing. They are just the best dogs to have with kids. They guard them, they put up with anything the kids do to them, they clean up after the kids are done eating, and, most of all...they LOVE kids. You can't tell that I am a Lab lover can you?

Quote Originally Posted by happylabs View Post
    No... We had Labs before and during the kids' upbringing. They are just the best dogs to have with kids. They guard them, they put up with anything the kids do to them, they clean up after the kids are done eating, and, most of all...they LOVE kids. You can't tell that I am a Lab lover can you?
    Yep, and your Labs are fortunate to have you, or vice versa...I can tell she would be great around kids as she is very carefull around my smaller dog, and even me when we play.... she always knows just how hard to bite down before it is too much and I can't believe how well she listens. I do think I need to get a crate though so that I can start training her to go in it when we are not home.

All you have to do to get a crate is walk next door and take your pick between large and extra large. Koko lived in the XL for 6 weeks after her double CCL surgeries. luckily we don't worry about Koko doing damage when we leave her alone anymore.