Page 7 of 32 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 ... LastLast

Thread: Max

Well, I hope the overnight stay in the hospital will get him back on the right track. I probably should have done that with Taz in the beginning too.
    I know it will be a LONG night without your baby, but hang in there.

HUGS!!
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

We keep all our paws and fingers crossed for Max.

Slick, I'm sorry to hear Max was so dehydrated, but tonights dose at the vet will hopefully change that! I know you're on pins to hear news, but try to relax and get a good nights sleep, that's the best you can do for him - and he'll be home with you tomorrow, hopefully feeling a lot better.

My thoughts are with you, and Fister and I have all paws and fingers crossed for Max.

(((hugs)))

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

I warm the fluids by filling a thermos with hot tap water and just draping the line through the warm water. The line is so thin the fluid comes out comfortably warm to the touch. I happened to have a quart thermos on hand but the size shouldn't matter.

I use the 20 G needles. It takes about 6 minutes for 150 cc.

I also confine the cat in a "Klaw Kontrol" bag. It works better for restraining the cat than the "burrito wrap" in a towel. Even the squirmiest cats can't get out easily. It also seems to help calm the cat down. "Calm" is a relative term.

Are you suspending the bag higher than the cat? I put a hook up on the wall and suspend the bag from there. Higher = faster flow.

Good luck with Max.

We have everythig crossed here for our Max tonight. Please get better baby.

If the fluid flow was very slow, you may have gotten the needle into muscle rather than in the sub-q space. If so, just shut off the flow, and remove and re-insert the needle in a slightly different spot.

I spoke with our vet about when the fluids slows down. I told her I use the same technique that I did with IV's, wiggle the needle, it can be positional. I have never withdrawn the needle, put on a new needle, and reinserted it. The cat would not stand for that!!! Sometimes, if you just pull the needle back a teeny tiny bit, it helps getting the fluids flowing again...I have also fed a cat while giving it sub q. Spunky was IMPOSSIBLE, so I would cut up some cheese and mix it into baby food. While he was gobbling away, I could insert the needle, and get him hydrated. As you can see in the photo of Boo and Nicholas, despite Boo sitting up, the fluid still went in!!!

Okay, I forgot the photo!!! SORRY.....
    Attached Images Attached Images  

Also, PLEASE do not reinsert the SAME needle into the cat again....EVER!!! Once the needle is inserted and then reinserted, it causes PAIN because after the needle is used once the tip is NO LONGER SHARP.

KB2yjx: Thank you so much for your weath of knowledge. Gosh I love this site. The emergency vet (not my regular one) told me I could use the same needle 3 times before changing it, but I will heed your advice from now on. I'll stop by the vet's tonight on my way home to buy a bunch more needles. Question for you - what good does it do to put the needles in the freezer before insertion? Does it dull the pain somehow? Also, many thanks for the website link. I will check it out this weekend. That photo is soooo cute!

Lizzie: Many thanks for your input and sharing your experience.

Mary: I can't thank you enough for your advice and support.

Nepeta:
    I warm the fluids by filling a thermos with hot tap water and just draping the line through the warm water. The line is so thin the fluid comes out comfortably warm to the touch. I happened to have a quart thermos on hand but the size shouldn't matter.
    I'm trying to visualize this. If I see this right the line comes down from the bag and kind of gets coiled around in the thermos of hot water then the needle end comes out of the thermos into kitty? Many thanks for the link to the Klaw Kontrol. If Max becomes a problem child, I definitely invest in one.

Phesina: That candle gives me LES. Many thanks for your kind words.

In my computer/freezer/litterbox room I have a hook up high on the closet door where the bag hangs. I have a soft blankie on top of the freezer and that's where I do what Max would call the dasterdly deed. I just have to figure out how I'm going to warm up the line while it's flowing. I'm sure that I'm poking him in the right spot because I can see the water collecting under his skin. He jolts/squirms when the needle first goes in, then calms down a bit.

I have a 3 day weekend so will be able to spend some extra time with Max.

Thank you everyone else for your love and prayers. It means more to me than you will ever know and I'm riddled with guilt that I have not been able to be there for all of you. I'm so sorry and will endeavour do better.

I'm going to try and get some pictures of him this weekend to post.
    Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, champagne in one hand and strawberries in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and screaming WOO HOO - What a Ride!
    --unknown

Sometimes the most real things in the world are the things we can't see
    --Polar Express

Until one has loved an animal, part of their soul remains unawakened.

Your description of the line coming down from the bag, coiling around in the thermos of hot water, with the needle end coming out of the thermos and into the cat is exactly right.

How to "Juice" da Kat >>>

Here's a rather well-written article about one man's method of administering
    Sub-Q Fluids to his Kat.

The first part lists dozens of helpful sites that can be consulted for additional help
    and suggestions; and some Bulletin Board sites.

The second part goes into a very detailed How-To instruction set.

http://weirdstuffwemake.com/weird/st.../catjuice.html

Slick, I'm sorry to hear that Max has to stay at the vet. Hopefully he'll feel much better tomorrow and from now on you won't have any more problems/issues with giving him his sub-q fluids. I'll be keeping both of you in my thoughts and prayers. Please take care. (((HUGS)))

Quote Originally Posted by kb2yjx View Post

Also, PLEASE do not reinsert the SAME needle into the cat again .... EVER!!!

Once the needle is inserted and then reinserted,
    it causes PAIN because after the needle is used once the tip is NO LONGER SHARP.
    And >>>

The needle is NO Longer "sterile" once it touches the fur and/or "dirty" skin.

RE-using a needle three times is TWO Times too many!

Cinder and Smoke!!! Thank you for pointing out the STERILITY factor in reusing the SAME needle!!! SLICK!!! I sent you a pm.....I hope Max is OK...I lit a candle for you both....