Thread: Hermit crab molts

Hermit crab molts

I know alot about hermit crabs but have never had experience with molting ones before, so I have a question because I don't want to end up killing my hermit crab. My hermit, Otto, just molted. I found his "lovely" Exo-skeleton yesterday, and to be honest at first I thought he was dead and was quite sad. But when I looked in the shell I saw him and he was fine. My question is how long does it usually take the skeleton to harden? I want to take him out but I don't want him loosing any legs like his last leg, which grew back YAY! He's walking around but I just want to be sure. I couldn't find much on the internet as all the site say something different.

I used to have one but dont know much about them. But i heard that as soon as they turn back to thier normal color it is safe to handle them. after molting they are usually quite red. but dont take that as a fact i heard this when they first became popular, but it sounds logical

Was your crab on the surface or did you dig him up? They typically eat their molts because they need those nutrients.

As far as I know, the process goes that they molt, eat the molt, then come topside. They won't come above ground until their new exoskeleton has hardened.

So if he was on the surface, he must of just not wanted to eat the whole molt. But if you dug him up, you'll just need to leave him be and leave the molt in with him. He may still eat it.

Good luck!
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

Thanks, no he was actually in his water dish when I noticed he was alive. He had been in the bedding of his cage though, so I'm guessing he should be safe to handle. The molt was starting to smell so I took it out just now, he didn't seem to want it..and he has been moving around the last few days so there was opportunity. He has been acting like his normal self lately, so he is back to normal. I never dig them out because if they are dug in they probably want to be left alone, so I would never do that. Thank you for the help though!

Glad to hear he's well.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

do not touch HIM!!! I know this seems sad but you can still look at him if hes bigger than a baseball he wont be done from 4-7 months sometimes more. is hes the size of a golfball or smaller it can take form 5 days up to 2 months b careful happy molting