Thread: Training my chihuahua not to mark - it worked!!!

Training my chihuahua not to mark - it worked!!!

Wanted to share my experience in case it might help someone.

I have a chihuahua named Bane who was a marker. When I got married last year and moved to a new house I knew I had to get him to stop, and believe me I had tried and tried.

He kept his marking to the family room - the couch was his favorite (ew) but occasionally he would mark the coffee table etc. My husband and I felt that we had tried everything to get him to stop. Nothing we tried worked for more than a day or two.

Well, one day our couch broke (strange, I know) and we had no choice but to go buy a new one. I was not going to let him mark this one! Luckily I came across an article somewhere that talked about Scat Mats. (Those thing you use to keep pets off the furniture.) It recomended using them for marking, of course working better if your dog only marked in one spot. That was not the case for us, but I went out and bought 7 of them. I was desperate.

Now I know it might sound cruel to use something that basically shocks your dog. But its really not bad at all, its like getting zapped when your rub your feet on carpet and touch someone. But there are three settings and the lowest is barely anything.

So my family room looked a little strange for a few months with all these weird matts all over the floor, around the couch and coffee table. But after those few months with no marking, I picked them up and he hasn't marked since. Its awesome!

So basically he was shocked once or twice while thinking about marking, learned to avoid the matts. And now that there gone, seems to associate marking with the shock. He's not even afraid to go near couch, he just doesnt want to pee on it anymore.

I feel I need to mention that he is no puppy, he just turned 12 in May. Anyway, sorry this is so long. I am just so excited that I don't have to live with pee-smell anymore
    Proud owner of Jazmine and Bane (my cat-dogs)
    Proud owner of my angel kitties Dinsdaile, Norman, Cheese House, Pepper, Bootsie and Patrick

I am glad you found a good solution for your little guy! Congratulations and thanks for sharing!
    I've Been Frosted

I am having some good results with the scat mat that I have. One of my cats (don't know which one) likes to pee on my washer. Since I put the scat mat on the washer, no more pee. The battery has since died, but it's still working. I'd like to rent some; buying is rather expensive when you need several.

By the way, my scat mat doesn't shock them, just lets out a loud beep.

Quote Originally Posted by mruffruff View Post
    I am having some good results with the scat mat that I have. One of my cats (don't know which one) likes to pee on my washer. Since I put the scat mat on the washer, no more pee. The battery has since died, but it's still working. I'd like to rent some; buying is rather expensive when you need several.

By the way, my scat mat doesn't shock them, just lets out a loud beep.

On the washer?! LOL

Ya, some of mine didn't have batteries after awhile. I've seen that they sell dummy mats too which are much cheaper.
    Proud owner of Jazmine and Bane (my cat-dogs)
    Proud owner of my angel kitties Dinsdaile, Norman, Cheese House, Pepper, Bootsie and Patrick

Oh wow I have to get one of these mats for my house! My Daughter in-Law has a lovely chi that comes over and finds marking his territory to be his first priority when he arrives. Of course this makes my male Yorkie crazy! Where do you find these mats? Thanks so much!

Most pet supplies stores have them. You can also go online to search for them. I did not find one that emits a beep, but there are a million or so that have the "static shock". The shock probably has a longer-lasting effect. I know that unless the mat is in place, one of the cats will venture onto the washer. And has been known to stand NEXT to the mat and pee over it!!

My washer seems to be safe (for the moment) but the chair in the sitting room is the new target. Fortunately I have it covered with a shower curtain. I may have to invest in another mat. Wish they weren't so expensive.

I found out that the mats that make a loud noise are called Sofa Scram. Sold by Sam's Club.