Thread: Anyone heard of or had Costal Chronditis?

Anyone heard of or had Costal Chronditis?

My hubby had to take me to the ER last night at about 1am, and I had to stay over night in the hospital. I was having sharp, stabbing pains in my chest and some pressure and shortness of breath. They checked my heart out and thank GOD everything seems to be fine there. They are pretty sure that I have this Costal Chronditis, which is an inflammation of the cartilage that connects the Sternum (breastbone) to your ribs. I have to take a prescription anti-inflammatory (Naproxen) for about a week. Hopefully that will reduce the inflammation and it will heal.

I recently started bowling again after MANY years of NO physical activity. It is most likely the reason for this infection. It is often caused by strenuous activities such as moving heavy furniture or overdoing exercise that causes strain on your upper body ... thus, the bowling! Who would have ever thought, huh? Well, I'm just thankful that it isn't my heart. Very painful, but at least I know what it is, and what it ISN'T now!

Anyone here ever had this or know of anyone who has?

Thanks for any info on it!
    Kim *said while holding chest*
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

That's a new one to me Kim. Glad you will be alright!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I had costochondritis this past fall. Took me a couple weeks before it really faded, then I got bad GE reflux from taking ibuprofen for it. Here is some more about it: http://orthopedics.about.com/cs/spra...chondritis.htm

Just take it easy, and don't push yourself right away even when you start feeling better. It hurts a lot but it will go away .

I also used some IcyHot where it hurt and that soothed it some.
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Kim, I've never heard of this before but I'm glad that you're going to be okay and that you're back at home now. Please get well soon.

Yup, I had Costochondritis about two years ago, and that developed into pleurisy. That definitely shouldn't happen to you, but my doctor couldn't prescribe me medication that would work due to being 15 at the time. It was waiting it out taking pain medication that didn't work, and then I was waiting out something else later. What fun.

I'm so sorry you have this.. being sick is no fun. *hugs*
    ~Sara, Daisy, Jessie, Jake, & Jackson

<3 Gone but never forgotten <3
    {Benjamin, Russell, Chester, Dexter, George Harrison, & Leeroy} {O.D.} {Trey} {John-Paul & Earl}

My mom had this, right after starting up bowling again too! She had lots of tests done before the doctors figured out what was going on, as it really didn't come on suddenly for her. I'm glad they figured it out quick. Mom said the worst part about it was not knowing why she felt so terrible. Prayers on the way

I had this about 3+ weeks ago, and too ended up in the ER over it. It was so painful -- it would wake me out of a very sound sleep with sharp jabbing pains throughout my whole chest. I thought I was dying. It took about 2 weeks to feel better, but it did eventually heal. They didn't prescribe any meds for it, just ibuprofin.

I hope you feel better soon!!!!

Kim I have never heard of it and can imagine how scared you must have been (and all of you that have had it!) There is so much on the news today about women and heart disease that I would have thought for sure I was having a heart attack. I am glad your heart is OK and this is something that is fixable and will go away. I guess you have to hang up your bowling shoes.

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Bobcat had this a few years ago. It was very frustrating because it took several doctors to diagnose it properly. I can't remember the number of times we ended up in the emergency room. Each time his heart checked out okay so they sent him home. Then the next round of doctors decided that he was having anxiety attacks, so they gave him drugs to calm him down. FINALLY, one doctor figured it out. He's been fine ever since.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Gosh Kim, that sounds pretty painful. I've never heard of it before.

Please take it easy and get well soon.

From Decker with Love

Wow, that is really scary. No, I had never heard of it. I hope you are feeling better soon, and that it gets cleared up quickly and without any complications.

First of all, THANK YOU for answering this post! It is comforting to know that so many of you have either had this or know about it. How odd, DJFyrewolf, that both your mother and I got this the same way!

Kuhio98, how awful that Bobcat had to go through this for so long before they finally figured it out! I was so afraid that the ER doctor was going to just say it was anxiety or worse, INDIGESTION! I'm thankful that he was cautious and admitted me for the night. I know that they were extra careful with me due to my diabetes, high BP and cholesterol.

To all that have had this, thanks for the tips and info!

Hugs,
    Kim
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

I suffer from costal chronditis several times a year. Im laying in bed with it now. I have Lupus and it makes it very difficult to cope with the pain. I take morphine daily(6 yrs) and that doesnt take the pain away. I find that a heating pad and my 2 dachsunds snuggling with me help.

Yep, my mom has had costochondritis twice. The first time she went to the ER, where they determined that it was not an acute problem with her heart. The second time, she called the doctor's office instead of going to the ER because it was the same pain and she knew what it was.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/cos...dritis/DS00626
    Praying for peace in the Middle East, Ukraine, and around the world.

I've been Boo'd ... right off the stage!

Aaahh, I have been defrosted! Thank you, Bonny and Asiel!
    Brrrr, I've been Frosted! Thank you, Asiel and Pomtzu!

"That's the power of kittens (and puppies too, of course): They can reduce us to quivering masses of Jell-O in about two seconds flat and make us like it. Good thing they don't have opposable thumbs or they'd surely have taken over the world by now." -- Paul Lukas

"We consume our tomorrows fretting about our yesterdays." -- Persius, first century Roman poet

Cassie's Catster page: http://www.catster.com/cats/448678

Goodness, I've never heard of this before but I'm glad to be a member of PT so that I learn these things. I'm sorry, though, for the pain that all of you have suffered as a result of it. And trasprw, I'm sorry to read that you're laid up w/it right now. I do hope that your dachsunds are giving you lots of comfort. I also see that this is your first post, so welcome to Pet Talk! I do hope that you feel better soon. Kim, hang in there. Now that you know what it is and what it isn't, hopefully you'll begin to heal quickly. Prayers are going up for you and trasprw, too.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11