Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Underweight pregnant queen

Underweight pregnant queen

The past month, my roommate and I have noticed a black cat skittering away from our outdoor feeder when we would go outside. Yesterday, she did not run away and we were able to get a good look at her. She is VERY pregnant and underweight. I lured her out from under the car with some food, and she is now resting comfortably in one of our bathrooms. She is actually a very sweet kitty, just a little unsure of us. We have provided her with water, dry kitten food, and an occaisional small can of moist food. Is there anything else we should provide for her that would help her to gain a little weight before/after she has her kittens? Thank you.

PS. She looks like she could drop her litter any time now. Her tummy is low and sticks out on both sides.
    Too many pets? What's that?

What are doing now is fine. Make sure she can relax and feel safe, then she will probably start eating more. You could put a box with blankets/towels for her.

Good luck with her kittens, and thanks for helping her.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Freckledimple,

Thank you for taking her in!! Keep an eye on her. I suggest you go get some kitten food both canned and dry, as she needs all the nutrients she can get for her babies. You can also give her Nutrical, a paste that is high in vitamins and minerals. Keep a nigh light on and a radio with classical music playing if you can. Keep her as calm as you can.

Set up a box layered with old towels. When birth is impending, she'll be hanging around in a specific spot. Giving birth takes a total of 10 hours from start to finish. If you watch her belly, it'll contract and relax. Just be there for her, reassuring her. Let her do the work, but watch her carefully. When a kitten is born, she will tear open the sac and start cleaning her baby. If she doesn't do this, you'll have to tear the sac open for her to allow the baby to breath.

I had the opportunity to watch a foster of mine, Mattie Grace, give birth to 4 beautiful babies. I stayed with her the entire time, in awe of the process. She will be able to be spayed once her babies are weaned, at about 6-8 weeks.

Thank you again for coming to this beautiful girl's rescue. If you need anymore help, just ask. That's what we're all here for.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You did a very good thing!!!! St. Francis is smiling...

Thank you for taking her in; she needed you. I can't add to what the others told you to do-good advice. Take care of her! We'll be eagerly awaiting an update!

Oh how wonderful that you were able to get her to trust you and that you took her in. I'm sure you'll do a wonderful job of taking care of her. Please update us and post pix if you can.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Well, here's a few pictures of Pretty Mama Obviously, she was more interested in the food than the camera You can really see her babies, too

Last edited by freckledimple; 06-14-2009 at 10:54 PM. Reason: adding pictures

THats a purrty girl, good for you taking her in.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

Thank you for taking her in and caring for her and the babies.
    GILL & Crew;

Oh she is a beautiful mama! That is sooooo wonderful of you to take her in. She can now relax and feel comfortable enough to have her kittens. Good luck with the mommy to be!
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Another indication of impending birth is she will lose her appetite. Doesn't look like it's going to be anytime soon, the way she's eating. What a beautiful girl she is.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Thank you for taking her in and providing her a safe place for her and her babies. I took in a solid black pregnant baby I called Persie. She was a great momma and I ended keeping her after her babies had homes. I lost her last year to cancer. God will smile upon you for this. Again thank you.
    Heaven is the place of final and complete happinees God has prepared for us----and if animals are necessary to make us happy in heaven, then you can be sure God will have them there. Reverend Billy Graham

that is a wonderful you did. I wish I could do more, maybe soon.

maybe feliway will help her stay calm, a little ?
    do you have home lined up for when the kittens are old enough?

you are a good person for taking in a mom-to-be!

Thanks for taking in this beautiful girl in need. I hope that everything will go well with the birth of her kittens. Please continue to keep us updated.

Well, Pretty Mama is still doing well She's still eating well, and is gaining weight; so are her babies Her tummy has already gone from a flat onion shape to a more rounded onion shape. She loves to be petted, but I think picking her up makes her uncomfortable. Oh, she is also an ankle twirler We think she might be mute. Can cats be mutes? She'll look at us, open her mouth, and all you hear is a small breath sound. She doesn't wheeze or cough, and her breathing is not labored. She looks like she's meowing, but no sound comes out. We'll keep you updated as things progress