Thread: Mom and "son" doctor visits...

Mom and "son" doctor visits...

So, I'm going to the doctor tomorrow. Nothing is wrong with me. I have a prescription that isn't absolutely medically necessary, but makes my life so much easier. Sadly none of the pharmacies around me can get my exact prescription anymore. I had to call the doctor to have him change it to something else but similar. The nurse called me to say that the doctor wants to see his patients yearly at least for routine blood tests. Their records show that I haven't seen my doctor since 1999. I know that's not true, but it probably has been around 5 years. I was in the office and saw another doctor more recently than that for a sliced finger that needed stitches. That was several years ago though. So even though they've called in my refills for years without having to be seen, I have to go tomorrow if I want to keep my prescription. I know that's how it should be, but I HATE DOCTORS, especially when I'm not sick.

So you're asking yourself why in the world I put this in the cat section. Well here's the connection. My appointment is 11:15, so basically it is going to mess up the entire day. Since Morgan is due for his annual checkup and he has to have it first thing in the morning to have his sugar levels checked, I made him an appointment at 9:10. Mine is at 11:15.

I am not starting to think this wasn't a good idea. I always get nervous when my kids have to go to the vet. So my stomach is already in knots for Morgan and myself because of our appointments tomorrow. I can only guess what my blood pressure will be when they check it. And I sure don't want to know what the scale says. That is one of the main reasons why I avoid the doctor's office!

I know what you mean. It's always stressful going to the doctors, for yourself or one of the kids. One way to avoid the scale delimma is to ask them not to tell you the number. And don't look at it while you're on it. That's what I always do, so I never know what I weigh at the doctors. They are always different anyway so I'd rather not know.

Well, I'll keep you and Morgan in my thoughts for good check ups for the both of you.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

I can relate, Moesha. I don't like going to the dr. when I'm not sick and the scale, well, I don't even have one in my house any more. I don't want to hear it groan when I step on it. We'll hold a good thought for you that the dr. visit will be over quickly and that Morgan will be fine, too.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I don't really mind taking the dog or cats to the vet any longer. I have been with the same vet for over 20 years and trust them completely. I find the pets do not stress as much if I am calm. I guess maybe that is why Casey has never minded going to the vet.

The thing I hate most about going to the doctor is waiting! First you go in and sit in the waiting room, then you go to the exam room and wait. I have mild anxiety and to sit in that room for more than 10 minutes I want to climb the walls. One time my doc made me sit in the exam room for over an hour. I was livid. I ended up leaving before he came in. The nurse was like "oh, hasn't he come in yet?" She knew darn well he hadn't. They could at least tell you what is going on. I think it is so inconsiderate. I see the nurse practitioner now instead of the doc until they make me see him. I have to go for regular check-ups because of blood pressure issues.

I hate the scale too. I think it lies.

Just try to relax. Hope your visit goes well.

We're off now. Morgan hates not getting to eat in the mornings. Hope all goes well. Thanks for the well wishes.

I have to go to the Doctors on a regular basis being old, diabetic and having bursitis.
    But I dont like it either, as sometimes you can catch things fro people in the waiting room!!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Quote Originally Posted by catmandu View Post
    I have to go to the Doctors on a regular basis being old, diabetic and having bursitis.
    But I dont like it either, as sometimes you can catch things fro people in the waiting room!!!
    I agree! I never touch anything while I am in the waiting room. I try to bring a book of my own. I have my hand sanitizer ready for when I get back to the car.

Doctors today don't care how long they keep you waiting. My old eye doctor use to keep me waiting 2 to 3 hours in the waiting room and another 45 minutes in the exam room and that was WITH an appointment.. I ditched him for one now that if I show up early, I am usually out of there before my appointment time.

My PCP is walk in, no appointments so you know when you pull into the parking lot, how long a wait you are going to have and it is your choice as to rather you want to wait or not.. I wish more doctors were like that. My problem with him is he loves to write Rx's!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

One down, one to go.

Morgan's visit went very well. His blood sugar was perfect, so he can keep eating the EVO grain free food. He weighed 18.25 pounds, which is very good for him. He also had the cyst on his back drained and received his vaccinations. He was a good boy. Now if only he would come with me and help me get through my appointment as well.

Quote Originally Posted by Laura's Babies View Post
    Doctors today don't care how long they keep you waiting. My old eye doctor use to keep me waiting 2 to 3 hours in the waiting room and another 45 minutes in the exam room and that was WITH an appointment.

I will not tolerate that. I always call ahead and ask how they're running and that goes for my vet. If they say that they're running behind, say, 30 minutes, then I tell them "Well, I'll be in 30 minutes later then." One dr.'s office didn't take me seriously until I sent him a bill for my time that I sat in his waiting room. The office gal called and said "We can't pay this!" and I said "Well then, don't expect me to pay your bill either". They got the point. I will say, though, that my current vet's office is prompt. Emergencies happen, of course, and I would want others to be patient if it was I that needed my vet in an emergency situation but for the most part, I've not had a problem w/my vet. My dr., different story.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Mom's doctor visit didn't go quite as well as the son's. I'm sure it didn't help that it had been so long since I had seen a doctor. I made sure to have everything I could think of looked at. I did learn that I have high cholesterol. I'm only 37. I think my combined total was 274. My "good" cholesterol was well...good. But my bad was high. Because my good was so good, it made the ratio in the acceptable range. I'm going to try some diet adjustments and we'll recheck it in 6 months. It has been a long day. I was at the doctor's office for almost 4 hours. Tis time for me to hit the pillow! Tomorrow I'll start researching cholesterol. I never thought I'd be doing that now.

One time I waited with my son in the doc's office for almost 2 hours! He had Scarlet Fever and they knew it! He was only 6 and they made us sit in a quarantine room for over an hour! Now, unless it is an emergency, I leave. My vet is very good, though. I have never had to wait longer than ten minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by Moesha View Post
    Mom's doctor visit didn't go quite as well as the son's. I'm sure it didn't help that it had been so long since I had seen a doctor. I made sure to have everything I could think of looked at. I did learn that I have high cholesterol. I'm only 37. I think my combined total was 274. My "good" cholesterol was well...good. But my bad was high. Because my good was so good, it made the ratio in the acceptable range. I'm going to try some diet adjustments and we'll recheck it in 6 months. It has been a long day. I was at the doctor's office for almost 4 hours. Tis time for me to hit the pillow! Tomorrow I'll start researching cholesterol. I never thought I'd be doing that now.
    Hey, at least you know and now you can do something about it. W/a few dietary changes, it shouldn't be too difficult and, as you say, you're young, so I'm sure it'll be relatively easy for you. I'm glad that you got all checked out, Moesha.
    Blessings,
    Mary

Sometimes long waits aren't always the dr's fault, it's the front desk staff. My dr. once got a batch of new office staff and my wait times increased dramatically. I knew something was up the day I booked the first appointment of the day to make darn sure I wouldn't have to wait and still ended up waiting for over 45 minutes. Turns out the staff booked appointments before the doctor was even scheduled to arrive. Not too long after that he got new front office staff and it's been alot better.

I'll find out for sure Thursday since I have to go see the dr then.

RIP Dusty July 2 2007 RIP Sabrina June 16 2011 RIP Jack July 2 2013 RIP Bear July 5 2016 RIP Pooky June 23 2018. RIP Josh July 6 2019 RIP Cami January 6 2022