Thread: Looking for Answers

Looking for Answers

2 days ago my beloved kitty Taffy of 11 years passed suddenly in my home. She seemed healthy other then the fact she was constantly regurgitating/throwing up stuff, this is something she had done for years, about 8 to be exact and she had lost quite a bit of weight over the last year or so, this however didn't put her at a unhealthy weight, she just wasn't as "fat" as she use to be. I had taken her to the vet a long time ago about the throwing up, she would throw everything up and constantly gag to bring stuff up whether it be the food she just ate, or hairballs, sometimes it was just stomach bile. I do not know if this played a cause in her death. She appeared to have choked though. The vet told me to try hairball control formula, I did and it did not work, I was then told by the vet that sometimes cats just get like this and I'd have to put up with it or get rid of her if it was really bad, well it was but I was not going to get rid of her so I put up with it.

Anyways, 2 - 3 hours prior to finding her my BF had put a movie on while I was out, he seen her walk by and go upstairs, he said she appeared fine. Then my daughter found her in her bedroom closet lifeless. My daughter is only 8 so this was quite traumatizing for her, she panicked and threw water on her trying to "wake" her up. My BF overheard her telling my 6 year old not to tell me because I would cry but she thought Taffy was dead. He looked the cat over, and concluded she was infact dead.

He brought her down to me and I didn't even have a second thought but to pick her up out of the box and cradle her in my arms, I rocked her for a good 20 minutes just stroking her, I closed her eyes and cried and cried, she had bit her tounge, there was a small amount of blood on her fur, like a smear and what looked like yellow bile in her mouth. I could not close her mouth as her jaw was clenched. Her eyes were dialated.

She was still a little warm but after holding her for so long I could smell death, I'll never forget that smell.

How long after a cat passes would they begin to smell? She was still pretty limp and just appeared to be sleeping.

I am so upset over this and cry everyday for her, it's not the same without her, I loved her very much, I don't know why she would just suddenly die. I don't know if she had other problems I was unaware of or if it was some freak accident I am not aware of. My BF told me that when he was looking her over she had what he described as a small amount of stomach lining or something similar on her fur, I never seen it though myself as he cleaned her up before bringing her downstairs to me.

If you have any insight please feel free to share because I would like some sort of closure and I could have an autopsy done but they cost so much here, she is worth it to me but I really haven't got a lot of money at the moment and it won't change anything, it won't bring her back.

First of all, I'm sorry to welcome you to Pet Talk in such a manner as this. I wish it was under happier circumstances. It's so difficult to lose one of our furkids; most of us on PT have been there and it never gets any easier.

Obviously, I can't know for sure but it sounds as though your kitty may have had a seizure of some sort since you say that there was blood on his mouth after having bitten his tongue. This is only a guess, of course. However, if he'd been having problems w/vomiting for that many years, it could have been something else entirely. I wish that I could be of more help but more conjecture on my part probably would only add to your pain rather than help w/it.

Please know that prayers are going up right now for your peace of mind. Your kitty is already at peace at the Rainbow Bridge, living the good life w/no health problems whatsoever and he knows and appreciates how you held him and rocked him before he made his passage. Your reunion one day will be so sweet. Hopefully, that thought will comfort you until you meet again. (((HUGS))) to you and your daughter.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I am so sorry for your loss.

Sometimes, when cats know that the end is imminent, they go to find a peaceful place where they can pass over to the Rainbow Bridge. (See www.rainbowbridge.com) Animals are very wise, and that comes from the wild. They go off to a private place where no other animal can find them and they drift off. (I hate to say the word die).

To give you and your family peace, go to the above website and you will find comfort there. I know I did when my two cats passed.

To answer your question about death...death is not an easy thing to understand in animals. I do know that in humans, rigor mortis sets in 18-36 hours after a person dies. I don't know if that holds true for animals.

"Rigor Mortis: Shortly after death all the muscles in the body become soft and flaccid. At a variable time later, they become firm and rigid. This is known as rigor mortis. Rigor commences in the smallest muscles such as those in the face and the hands, and then extends to the limb muscles. Rigor can be ‘broken’ by stretching the muscle, for example by moving the jaw or the elbow, and does not then return.

Rigor is brought about by a chemical change in the muscle. The normal reaction between adenosine triphosphate and adenosine diphosphate (ATP and ADP) within the muscle fibres, which supplies energy for their contraction during life, ceases and the ATP level in the muscle progressively diminishes. This is accompanied by accumulation of lactic acid and a fall of pH (increase in acidity), which leads to stiffening and firmness. Whether or not the muscle fibres actually shorten has not been established.

Temperature is an important factor in determining the time of onset of rigor. In normal circumstances and at room temperature rigor is complete in about three to six hours. If the temperature is higher the onset is more rapid — perhaps no more than an hour in tropical temperatures. Conversely, the onset of rigor is delayed at low temperatures. In cases of drowning in cold water, for example, rigor may not appear until the body has been removed from the water, even after several days of immersion. The onset of rigor is hastened if there has been intense physical activity shortly before death. Thus, in forensic medical practice, the presence of rigor is a poor determinant of the time of death. Once established, the duration of rigor ranges from 18 to 36 hours."

From what you have told me, it seems that your beloved Taffy died very soon before you held her in your arms.

I cannot express how sorry I am for your loss. You were very lucky to have closure in that you held her, closed her eyes and told her how much she was loved. Many pet owners don't have that opportunity.

I do hope this explanation has helped. As far as why she died, it sounds like she was either in advanced renal failure or she had a problem with her thyroid. But I'm not a vet (I have a paramedical background) so I really don't know. Only a necropsy can determine the cause.

RIP sweet Taffy. You were truly loved and will be sorely missed.
    Last edited by moosmom; 05-31-2009 at 07:32 AM.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

You're right, an autopsy wouldn't tell you anything useful. If you'd like, you can light a memorial candle for Taffy here. You gave her love while she was here on earth with us - that's all a cat asks.

Love, Columbine

I am so sorry for your loss and suggest to you to go in the cat memorial section and make a memorial for her. It will be there forever, for all to see.
    You should tell the story of how you got her and somethings about her personality and what kind of cat she was, even post pictures if you have them. Celebrate her life in her memorial.

I haven't a clue as to what happened to her, I had a friend that recently lost his cat suddenly and don't have a clue as to that happened also.

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

I remember years ago when that happened to My BJ , who showed no signs of illness and was fairly young at 10.
    He just collapsed and died on the bed as I was calling My Vet.

It sounds as though Taffy may have had heart troubles with stomach problems that kept her from being able to digest her food.
    Taffy still loves you and wants you not to be sad, but to remember the good times and to think of her spirit which will always be with you,
    and maybe one day you will see a Cat who needs a home, and Taffy would be pleased if you adopted that Cat in her honor.
    And Taffys with the Animal Angels now and will find a place for her beloved Family to be together again in love.
    One Fine Day!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

If you want to, you can ask your vet about a necropsy. It's less invasive than an autopsy, and less expensive.

{{{hugs}}} to you, and blessings to dear Taffy.
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Thank you for the kind comments and welcomes. I truly appreciate it. I wasn't able to get to the vet today as planned so I will be taking her in for cremation tomorrow. I will ask the vet then about the necropsy suggested above.

What also upsets me is years back (about 8) I had Taffy and my other cat declawed. Pepper healed normally but Taffy did not, her paws seemed to just be fur, it was as if her paws were non existant, I asked the vet about it and he said she was fine. I come now to find out that when this happens in declawed cats it is due to the declawing either being done wrong or the instruments/tools used were dull which causes the bones to break in the paw and then either heal abnormally or not at all. This of course causes the pet pain and they will often even stop using the litter box because it is too painful for them. This happened to Taffy, I just thought she was being lazy but to know that my poor kitty was most likely in pain all those years with broken paws from a vet who obviously did not know what he is doing, it's just heart breaking and upsets me so much. She didn't show any signs really of pain but she would hardly ever use the litter box, mostly pee on the floor and such.

The CREW and I are so sorry for your loss. It is never easy too loose one of our babies. We all feel the pain.
    GILL & Crew;

Quote Originally Posted by Taffy0498-0509 View Post
    Thank you for the kind comments and welcomes. I truly appreciate it. I wasn't able to get to the vet today as planned so I will be taking her in for cremation tomorrow. I will ask the vet then about the necropsy suggested above.

What also upsets me is years back (about 8) I had Taffy and my other cat declawed. Pepper healed normally but Taffy did not, her paws seemed to just be fur, it was as if her paws were non existant, I asked the vet about it and he said she was fine. I come now to find out that when this happens in declawed cats it is due to the declawing either being done wrong or the instruments/tools used were dull which causes the bones to break in the paw and then either heal abnormally or not at all. This of course causes the pet pain and they will often even stop using the litter box because it is too painful for them. This happened to Taffy, I just thought she was being lazy but to know that my poor kitty was most likely in pain all those years with broken paws from a vet who obviously did not know what he is doing, it's just heart breaking and upsets me so much. She didn't show any signs really of pain but she would hardly ever use the litter box, mostly pee on the floor and such.

Well, now you know and all we can do is learn from our mistakes. This is why so many of us on PT are against declawing.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

RIP sweet Taffy, play hard at the Rainbow Bridge
    FIND A PURPOSE IN LIFE.....BE A BAD EXAMPLE

I am so sorry for your loss. The only fault cats have is that they generally die before us. It's sad, I have been through two beloved cats dying within the last 18 months. I can now look back and smile at the memories and love my other cats while they are still here.

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Well, now you know and all we can do is learn from our mistakes. This is why so many of us on PT are against declawing.
    I agree, I was very young when I made the decision to have my cat's declawed, I am much more educated now on it and would probably never have it done again.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I just recently lost my 8 yr old girl Anika back in Oct. 08 and it still seems like just yesterday at times.

I hope with times your sorrow heals.

Melissa