Thread: Paws and Fingers Crossed for Springen

Paws and Fingers Crossed for Springen

A few weeks ago, my brother and I took Springen bike riding. A few days later he was unable to get up and walk and was acting like he was in a lot of pain. We took him to the vet and they told us we over exercised him and he was just sore, so they gave us some muscle relaxers and pain killers. We gave him the medicine, but it didn't seem to help him at all. We went back and they took x-rays, and apparently something was wrong with his shoulder. They gave us steriods to give him, saying it should heal right up.
    He seems to be much better now, but his spine is pointed at an odd angle and his hips are not normal. He's lost a lot of weight and muscle. Honestly, I think there is something wrong with him other than an injury. Although he's much more energetic, he's just not the same as he was. My brother took him to the vet today and they took some blood work. I'm not sure exactly what they're looking for, but I will update you all. Paws and Fingers crossed for my sweet boxer boy.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Paws and fingers crossed here and I'll even throw in a prayer that Springen will be ok.
    Last edited by chocolatepuppy; 06-04-2009 at 10:36 PM.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Awww! Poor guy. We've got all our paws crossed here for him.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Thanks everyone. His blood test showed he had Giardia. I guess it's an intestinal bacteria. It doesn't explain his hips and spine, but it does explain his diarrhea and weight loss. Has anyone's dog had this? I'm worried that Molli and Sammy have it too.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

I'm sorry to hear about Springen. None of my dogs have had giardia as far as I know but I've known people that had it...not fun stuff. I hope you'll be able to figure out what else is going on with him.

Paws and Fingers Crossed for Springen

Im sitting here with tears in my eyes, trying very hard not to cry. There is one pics their where he looks so sad, it must be heart braking for you to see him like this. Fingers and paws crossed that she goes for him, he so deserves better.

Well it's been awhile since i've been on so I thought I'd update you. Springens giardia is gone, and he's gotten an xray of his back. They said it looks like a chip of bone from his spine broke off and is pressing on a nerve in his back. They told us if he doesn't walk normally after a few months of healing, he'll have to get back surgery. Its been a few weeks and he doesn't seem to be in pain and he's a healthy weight, but he still isn't walking normal. I'm hoping that he'll heal without any surgery. luckily my brothers girlfriend is a vet tech, so it won't be so expensive.. Otherwise I don't think we could afford it.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*

Aww Springen! Glad to hear the giardia is gone.. Eli feels you pain with your back.. he has back problems as well. But his were most likely caused by his previous owners.

I hope your back is able to heal on its own!! Back surgery sounds like no fun whatsoever!

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Hopefully Springen's back will heal so he needs no surgery.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

Have you tried steroids and crate rest for the back problem? Are you SURE he can poop and pee OK on his own? He may need to be expressed if he can't.

I hope you can get everything figured out and fixed for your dear Springen! He is absolutely gorgeous!
    Kim Loves Cats and Doggies Too!

Thanks everyone.

Quote Originally Posted by critters View Post
    Have you tried steroids and crate rest for the back problem? Are you SURE he can poop and pee OK on his own? He may need to be expressed if he can't.
    He has been on steriods for a few weeks and is finally off them. He's been resting a lot, no demanding physical exercise at all.
    Yes, he's pooping and peeing normal now.

*Sammy*Springen*Molli*