Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast

Thread: What would you do? (**Update 6-18-09 - need your prayers)

What would you do? (**Update 6-18-09 - need your prayers)

So Sydney's cancer has been in remission since December. This has been very wonderful and we have been totally grateful to have her everyday. A new issue, however, has surfaced. Sydney was diagnosed as having hyperthyroidism yesterday. I had a feeling this was going to be an issue, because she has lost some weight and has been vomiting some (although not excessively). The vet has told me that I have three options for Sydney:

1. Do surgery and remove the thryroid tissue - the vet said she does not recommend this because it is very difficult to determine how much needs to be removed and many times - you end up having to give medications for hypothyroidism because too much was extraced. (RULED OUT AS AN OPTION)

2. Daily administration of Methimazole - for the rest of her life. The problem with this option is it does not cure the problem, only manages it - and long term wise it becomes expensive (daily meds, blood tests, thyroid tests, etc.) (MAYBE)

3. Radioactive iodine therapy - this option cures the problem. Problem with this is it is around $1500 and I have to travel to Auburn and leave her there for at leat 2 days. (MAYBE)

Here are my concerns - if I drop the $1500 on the treatment - the stress of the trip could cause her cancer to come out of remission, not to mention I dont have $1500 laying around. Plus, I am so afraid that I will get her the treatment, only to find out she has other problems, which would result in my having to deny her future treatments because I can no longer afford it. However, with the pill therapy the cost will end up being much more in the long run if she lives more than a year. I am just afraid I will be spend the money and her cancer will return in a month. I just dont know what to do. Any ideas or anyone with expereince with this would be greatly appreciated!
    Last edited by kittykatharine; 06-18-2009 at 03:01 PM.
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Was it the vet who told you stress can bring cancer out of remission? I've never heard of that before.

Sounds like a hard choice. How about getting a second opinion? It seems like a situation where one would be helpful.

Love, Columbine

Thanks so much for the response Columbine! No, it wasnt the vet who told me this, however, I used to work in a medical setting with people and this was believed to be a common occurance. Because stress causes the sympathetic nervous system to be activated - you have increased heart rate, increased sweating, increased blood pressure, decreased immune system, etc. - all of which make you vulnerable. Sydney has survived 6 months of chemotherapy and I have been very adament about making her life as comfortable and stress free as possible. I am afraid leaving her in Auburn will for several days would be traumatic - especially since she is almost 14 years old. However - I have been reading all the previos posts on hyperthryoidism and it appears long term usage of the pill can be problematic, wherein loose stools, appetite, and vomiting issues can occur. This is not what she needs. It is so difficult sometimes having to be the one incharge of her life. The responsibility is exhausting at times
    Sincerely,
    Kat

Rest in Peace Baby, Hercules, and Sydney - If love could have saved you, you both would have lived forever!

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." ~Ghandi

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

I'd definitely get a second opinion. I adopted a 14 year old cat, Murphy, in December and she had thyroid problems that were corrected by the Humane Society before I adopted her. I've noticed that she vomits whenever I give her anything other than dry food. Since she's been on nothing but Wilderness Cat food, a high quality, expensive dry food. The vomiting has all but disappeared.

Since your precious baby has been through so much with her cancer and stuff, do the best you can for her. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by moosmom View Post
    I'd definitely get a second opinion. I adopted a 14 year old cat, Murphy, in December and she had thyroid problems that were corrected by the Humane Society before I adopted her. I've noticed that she vomits whenever I give her anything other than dry food. Since she's been on nothing but Wilderness Cat food, a high quality, expensive dry food. The vomiting has all but disappeared.

Since your precious baby has been through so much with her cancer and stuff, do the best you can for her. You guys will be in my thoughts and prayers.
    Moosmom, thank you so my much for your kind words - dont worry I will do what is best for Sydney, regardless of what a vet says. If I had listended to the vets the first time around, she would have been put to sleep a year ago.
    Sincerely,
    Kat

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Oh boy, that's a toughie, Katherine. I hate to be a "me, too" but I think a second opinion is in order. I will say, though, that since you've ruled out surgery and you're leery about leaving Sydney at the vet's and stressing her out, the second option appears to be the most viable. My Creamsicle is on Prednisolone which does not cure her allergies, only manages them, but this is the option I've chosen. Granted, allergies and cancer certainly don't compare in severity but I'm sure you understand my comparison. Good luck, honey. You've done a great job so far and no doubt you'll continue to do so. Gentle pets to your sweet Sydney and (((HUGS))) to you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Quote Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
    Oh boy, that's a toughie, Katherine. I hate to be a "me, too" but I think a second opinion is in order. I will say, though, that since you've ruled out surgery and you're leery about leaving Sydney at the vet's and stressing her out, the second option appears to be the most viable. My Creamsicle is on Prednisolone which does not cure her allergies, only manages them, but this is the option I've chosen. Granted, allergies and cancer certainly don't compare in severity but I'm sure you understand my comparison. Good luck, honey. You've done a great job so far and no doubt you'll continue to do so. Gentle pets to your sweet Sydney and (((HUGS))) to you.
    Thanks so much Medusa - you are always so wonderful. I have been reseaching this all morning - and if Sydney had no other problems, this woud be an easy choice - the radioactive iodine treatment is the best choice and a true cure if successful. However, the fact that Sydney is dealing with cancer - if complicates the entire situation. I am going to try and get in touch with the vet oncologist who saw Sydney a year ago in Auburn. Hopefully she can shed some light on the best protocol to follow.
    Sincerely,
    Kat

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Quote Originally Posted by kittykatharine View Post
    if Sydney had no other problems, this woud be an easy choice - the radioactive iodine treatment is the best choice and a true cure if successful. However, the fact that Sydney is dealing with cancer - if complicates the entire situation.
    Exactly. Nothing is easy in this life, is it? And we take our responsibility to our little fuzz nuggets so seriously, as well we should. I sure would hate to see you trade one illness for another, if you know what I mean. You're truly in a precarious predicament but the oncologist may give you the peace of mind that you need in order to proceed. I know you'll keep us all posted and prayers will continue for Sydney and you.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I don't know the difference in price - pills vs cream - but there is an alternative to pilling her every day. The medication can be mixed as a cream and applied to her ear daily. This is called a transdermal dosing method.

We had a cat once, Nelly, with thyroid problems. The cream was not yet available, so we gave her a liquid mix each day. She had no side effects - I read somewhere that only about 15% of the cats do experience any.

Quote Originally Posted by Grace View Post
    I don't know the difference in price - pills vs cream - but there is an alternative to pilling her every day. The medication can be mixed as a cream and applied to her ear daily. This is called a transdermal dosing method.

We had a cat once, Nelly, with thyroid problems. The cream was not yet available, so we gave her a liquid mix each day. She had no side effects - I read somewhere that only about 15% of the cats do experience any.
    Thank you so much Grace for the info! Sydney is actually used to taking pills since she has been required to take several a day for many many months (chemo). If I do choose to go the medication route, I will probably stick with the pills because Sydney is used to pilling and because I heard the absoption of the medication is not as good with the transdermal method.

Exactly. Nothing is easy in this life, is it? And we take our responsibility to our little fuzz nuggets so seriously, as well we should. I sure would hate to see you trade one illness for another, if you know what I mean. You're truly in a precarious predicament but the oncologist may give you the peace of mind that you need in order to proceed. I know you'll keep us all posted and prayers will continue for Sydney and you.
    Thank you for the thoughts and prayers - as always they are appreciated.

**Continuing my research **
    Sincerely,
    Kat

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Hi Katherine!!!
    We have had several cats with thyroid(hyper)disease. Boo was the first. We had the radioactive method done on Boo. She was doing well, when SUDDENLY, one morning I looked at her and thought she was dying. She was rushed to the vet. Blood work was done. The vet threw in a T4. Despite the last time Boo's T4 were was checked, and it was NORMAL, this T4 showed Boo had NO circulating thyroid hormone at all in her system. It was a life threatening situation. Once stablized, Boo had to get a daily dose of Solixine until the day she went to the Bridge.
    Another thyroid kitty, was little Molly Meu. Molly was given the transdermal Tapazole. It was very effective for Molly and her T4's were in the NORMAL range.
    And now we have Norton. He is 17 yrs old. Norton get the Tapazole pill twice a day. His dose has been successfully titrated to a 1/4 tablet in the morning and a 1/8 of a tablet in the evening. His T4's have been in the normal range.
    I have tried all the methods, and to be honest with you, I do not think I would use the radioactive method again. But, perhaps a second opinion is to be considered. Good luck with your kitty!!! Sandra

I forgot to say that Molly was on the transdermal because the Tapazole by mouth upset her stomach. Also, I buy the pills from our vet, that is cheaper than going to the human pharmacy. The transdermal cream is dispensed for 30 days(at least that is how the pharmacy we used in NJ dispensed it). It is involved and you do have to wear gloves. You rotate the cat's ears. We used the right ear in the morning, and used the left ear in the evening(that was all that was LEFT to do). The tip of the ear is washed to remove all the transdermal med that may be left. In the evening, we washed the right ear off so it would be ready to use in the morning, and the left ear was washed in the morning, so it would be ready for the evening application. I know it sounds like alot, be Barry and I did this for several years....if you have any questions, please ask!!! Sandra

Another thyroid kitty, was little Molly Meu. Molly was given the transdermal Tapazole. It was very effective for Molly and her T4's were in the NORMAL range.
    And now we have Norton. He is 17 yrs old. Norton get the Tapazole pill twice a day. His dose has been successfully titrated to a 1/4 tablet in the morning and a 1/8 of a tablet in the evening. His T4's have been in the normal range.

Sandra,

Thank you so much for sharing your experiences - I have been searching all the previous forums to see others experiences with the three treatment options. My one concern is many of the pet owners who chose to give their pets the daily meds had issues with diarrhea. Have you noticed this to be a problem? Sydney is so very delicate with the cancer and I would really not want electrlyte imbalances because of diarrhea. The story about your baby going from one extreme to another (hyper to hypo) is also very scary. This would be very detrimental to her as well. I am so sorry about Boo. How old was Boo when he was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism? Was his death related to the thyroid issues? So many things to consider....
    Sincerely,
    Kat

I'VE BEEN BOO'D!

Katherine, I'm afraid I don't have any advice, but just want to wish Sydney the very best. I really hope you will find the perfect treatment for her. She looks like a wonderful girl and I send her lots of kisses and positive thoughts.

"I don't know which weapons will be used in the third World war, but in the fourth, it will be sticks and stones" --- Albert Einstein.

Katherine!
    No Boo died of kidney disease. She was 16 yrs old. I never had a problem with cats having diarrhea on the Tapazole, just the upset tummy with Molly. I hope that helps....