Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Question about Cats

That sounds cool. My dog is obsessed with laser lights too.

The cat at the store scratched me for no reason, which is why I asked. There I was just walking down the aisle, and I feel a rough sand paper like thing scratch me. I turn around and see a black and white kitty run away. I'm like... okaaay. Odd moment. Then I go back to walking and the cat pounces on my leg and stratches me. Was he trying to play?

I'm sure if we get two kitties, it'll be good, because they can play with each other while I'm at school and my mom is at work.

For some reason I've always liked kittens, but once they become a cat, I pretty much just ... resented them and felt like they would be a bore.

Boy was I wrong!

But if I do adopt, I want an adult cat. They always get overlooked for the little kittens, and for that reason most just sit in the shelter all day. How long do cats live?

I have too agree with the others. The personalities are all over the place.
    Example: Mit's has to meet me at the door when I come in. I have seen him trip down the stair because he is still asleep. At the same time Precious comes running from the back room. I go to the bathroom then Lucky, Dimetri, Bart, and Lenny come in. When I site to watch TV Precious has to lay on my chest then Dimetri wants too be on my lap and Mits lays on the arm of the chair and my shoulder. Bart will rub against my legs. At 10pm sharp Lucky come to get me, he is not a cuddlier, but at 11 he and Mits make sure that I go to bed. now Penny wants some loving, but not cuddling. Sweety stays away from both my wife and I Boots will come to me once in awhile. Chessie and Bailey are mommas boys and princess will come to me for a scratch, but she loves her mommy.
    You have too feel very fortunate when a cat picks you for affection and love. Just remember it is always on their terms.
    GILL & Crew;

I think thats cute how they all come rushing in for your affection.

Sounds like my dog.

I will feel very blessed when a cat graces me with it's love.

Cats' lifespans vary a lot due to genetics and living conditions. Cats who live indoors but are allowed outside live about 13 years (as opposed to ferals, who max out at about 4). A cat who stays in the house, has regular vet checkups and dental care, and is fed good food, can live 20 years or more, barring congenital illness or severe injury.

Remember that those are averages, though - it's not the "wear and tear" of going outside making indoor/outdoor cats get old faster; but rather a high probability of sudden or at least rapid death from illness or injury.

Love, Columbine

Also, to add to what others have mentioned, there are some breeds that have tendencies toward certain characteristics. For example, Siamese are known for being rather vocal and talking a lot. Maine Coons are sometimes described as dog like in their behaviors. Of course those are some generalizations and individual kitties will have their own personalities that don't necessarily conform to others of a particular breed.

I used to think that I was definitely NOT a cat person. I thought they were needy and demanding that just rubbed up against you and wouldn't leave you alone. Then I got a kitty. WOW. Now I have 8. LOL Kitties are great, even the snotty ones with their superior attitudes.

I bet that the kitty that you described as scratching you for no reason was trying to play. When my Morgan was little, he would hide behind furniture and jump out to "attack" someone when he/she walked by. Then he would take off running. It was a game. That's how he got the nickname Boogy Man. If a cat were trying to do damage, you would definitely know it.

I also wanted to comment on your idea of adopting an adult cat. That would be a very good idea. Perhaps a foster person or the shelter could give you some glimpses into its personality. And older cats don't have the energy of kittens. They are the most wonderful things in the world, but oh my are they work! Keep us posted.

Columbine:

Thanks for the info. You seem to know alot about cats. If I get an indoor cat then it would definitely be indoor. I live in NYC and this is no place to leave a kitty outside, with the cars and peoples dogs in their front yard, desperately tryng to get to a kitty. But wont they get bored inside? Or if I provide enough toys would they be okay?

Moesha:

No Maine Coons for me, too much fur ! I just want a cat that I can play with, but will also be a love bug, and I can cuddle up with them at night.

I think that maybe now I can learn to love a cat. Maybe I'll end up with a whole bunch of 'em.

Oh, okay. He was fairly young too, maybe about a year or so. Still playful I guess.

Yea, I think its sad so many great kitties get ignored because of their age. As long as it plays, I'll be fine.
    Of course I'll keep you guys posted. It's my duty to.

If you get two cats, they can keep each other occupied, chasing and wrestling and pouncing and grooming. I have just one cat who stays indoors, but he's 13 and pretty laid back. I have a "Cat Dancer" bouncy-toy propped up where he can swat at it, and he seems to enjoy that, but he mostly likes to chase a shoelace or strip of fabric that I'm dragging around for him! And, of course moths and bugs, and the stray flash of light from a crystal hanging in the window.

Love, Columbine

Oh I see. If we can get two cats that would be best, so they wont be bored. My grandmother's cat loved to play with strings and he seemed quite content playing with the little tassles that hung from her throw pillows. He also liked those laser lights. They seem to enjoy the simpler things in life.

If you'd like to see an example of how different cats' personalities are, read this thread: http://petoftheday.com/talk/showthread.php?t=152705. There are some cats who seem to like sun bathing more than anything else but it's usually when they're old. All cats like their naps, though, but that certainly doesn't mean they're lazy slugs. As others have suggested, if/when you do adopt a cat, make it a couple. You won't regret it. They bring out the personalities in each other.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

To me, even though I love all kinds of animals, cats are the most wonderful companions I can imagine! In fact, I could never imagine a life without cats! My home wouldn't be a home without these precious feline souls in it.

Like others here have said, they have many different personalities. It's hard to predict how your cat will be. But most of them are very loving, and they will be great friends. My Lily is a very smart kitty, very inquisitive and full of ideas. My Luna is what you would call lazy, but she's also very caring and is always by my side. She knows when I'm ill, and she's a great nurse.

These two are definitely wonderful animals!

Kirsten

Medusa:

That thread made me LOL! I think my dog would be a professional Food Test Taster. She's always right by my side when I'm eating.

Kirsten:

Your cats sound really cool! I wouldnt mind a laid back cat, I'd just prefer a playful one.

And this month my the local ASPCA is letting people adopt cats over 3 for free, no adoption fee. I saw it on the news this morning and my mom was there. She said she wouldn't mind an older kitty.

Quote Originally Posted by Kewll0ser View Post
    And this month my the local ASPCA is letting people adopt cats over 3 for free, no adoption fee. I saw it on the news this morning and my mom was there. She said she wouldn't mind an older kitty.

That would be wonderful! Too often people don't give older cats a chance because they're set on having a cute little kitten. We older gals and guys need love, too.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Me and my mom was discussing this before I was off to school. She said she likes kittens, but she would like an older cat too. We both agreed that they get skipped over too much, because people want cute, cuddly kittens. I told her that I want an older cat too, easier to manage, but still fun and playful. Just as cuddly as kittens too!

Actually, the best thing about adoptin an adult cat is that you know its personality. All kittens are cute and cuddly, but will they stay that way? Or will they be loners?

So if you're looking for a playful cat who will come to you like a dog, adopting a mature cat will be the best way to be sure you've found a cat like that. Foster moms always know their cats personalities and will make recommendations as to whether that cat will be the one you're looking for.

I used to be a dog person before I meet my cats. I still like dogs very much but kitties are my favorite now, definitely
    Before I know cats, I was like you, I thought they were agressive and scraching people for no reason (I was a kid then) and I had some examples from strays that come to see you for food and go back in nature.
    I was completely wrong of course.

Adopting adult kitties has another advantage: you can better choose (although the cat will choose you too ) based on the character. Young kitties can change while growing.