Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Question about Cats

Question about Cats

Hey guys!

My name is Ashley, and you can catch me over at the "Dog" side of the PT. But today I venture over here because I have a question about cats. Now my question may seem ... dumb or retorical, but it's really a valid question to me.

Now before I ask my question I have some "background information" to give about it. My mom loves cats. However, she hasn't had one since about 10 years ago, when our cat, Ashes, was poisoned by the landlady. Since then we got a dog, Butterscotch, and my mom's want for a cat has been put on hold because Butto is highly driven by cats, and she'll chase them all day if she needs to. But now, my mom is thinking of getting a kitty. Not now, maybe not even this year or the next, but she wants a cat.

Now the thing is, I really don't want a cat. For some reason, when people say cat, I either think of a lazy cat that sits in the sun all day, or a cat that scratches you whenever you get close. If we get a cat, I don't want it to be lazy. I want a fun cat.

So my question is, do cats make good pets?

I think they make better pets than dogs, and I have had more dogs than cats. Cats interact with you just as much, if not more, than dogs. They are more beautiful, just as affectionate, and much, much, cleaner than dogs. They can play fetch, come when called, and are so amusing! You don't have to crate them when you are gone, they take perfect care of themselves if you leave enough food and water out. They don't bite the neighbor's kids or you company, so no lawsuit. They are not lazy, in fact, they have just as much energy to play with you as a dog does. Their licenses and shots are cheaper, as is their food. Now, I do like dogs, in fact I love them quite a bit. But since I have had my first cat, I have never gone back to dogs. It's a personal choice with no right or wrong, but cats are lovely companions in my opinion.

See I never knew that. I know Ashes was a good cat, who came when called, but he was pretty independent. However he did play, sometimes. He mainly called the shots.

Cats play fetch ?!?
    Whoa!
    I never knew that cats are capable of doing anything other that batting at a toy on a string...
    If we get a cat, I want a playful one, and it's good to know that there is some out there.
    I'm just afraid If we get one, its just going to lay in the sun all day and sleep. Then come to you for food, eat, then go back to sleep.

Cats personalities vary GREATLY! Yes, they love a good nap and a sunny spot, but there is more to the cat than that.

I have a houseful of cats! So I live with many personalities.

Hamlet greets me at the door when I come home.

When I get home from being anywhere, Simba acts like he hasn't seen me in YEARS! Follows me, jumps up to get to my level and then rubs his face in mine.

Jasper and Monte follow me from room to room, I guess so I won't be lonely.

Shilo warms my lap.

Natasha amuses me with her playfulness.

Sterling plays fetch, unfortunately it is usually at 3am!

The list goes on..............

Lol! Your cats sound pretty interesting.

Especially that Sterling character.
    Cause I'm usually up at 3 AM so we'll get along just fine.

But, I'm still scared we might end up with a lazy sunbather.
    But do the sunbathers play?
    Or are they like that for life? Just sleeping all day?

I have found that Cats are what you are to them.
    If you are affectionate towards them , they are affectionate right back.
    Like Our Friend Jen, I have Cats who just love to be near me , My Dear Juke Joint Joseph, Scrappy 2 and Handsome John Hancock are the friendliest as is Michael the Dream Cat!!!!
    May I suggest a shelter Cat 2-3 yeas old who will be so grateful for that rare second chance at a Furrever Home!!!
    You will save a life and make a friend.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

Of course!
    Shelter animals are the way to go.
    It's where I got my dog at.
    Ashes, however, was a rescued stray. We found him in an alley, hungry, and badly infested with ticks. We eventually got him to trust us by putting out a can of food, and slowly but surely, Ashes became part of our family.

So you think if I play with the cat, it will eventually play back?

They certainly WILL play back! In fact, Zerlina will paw and meow until I stop whatever I'm doing to play and exchange luvvies. And sweet, loving baby boy Don Juan was my furry alarm clock this morning, purring and licking my face until I got up.

In fact, I suspect that with cats, YOU are the best toy of all.
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

Sweet.
    So, do cats scratch you for no reason?

'Cause my friend had a cat named Rusty that just scratched her for no reason.

And do you need to bathe them? 'Cause aren't just covered in saliva?
    But then again they hate water, right?

Oh, this cat thing is so new to me!

I've never had a cat scratch me for no reason. They will scratch very rarely when they are scared or startled, but I haven't been scratched by any of mine in years! I have been licked, though. Now, don't expect a cat to be as effusive in their joy to see you as a dog can be, they don't work like that. They do let you know they love you in so many charming ways, however. If you really love dogs, I don't know if a cat is for you. Why don't you try fostering a cat and see how it works with your dog? You may be surprised. Many dogs do not see a cat that lives with them as "a cat". They accept them as part of the family.

I find cats interesting.
    I just wanted to know about their pros and cons.
    I don't know when I'm going to get a cat.
    Maybe if we move. 'Cause if we do then we have to leave Butto with my grandmother, and my mom will get a cat, possibly two.
    But they will definitely be from the shelter.
    You guys definetly changed my opinion about cats.

Now let me see some pics!
    && I'd love to hear some stories about you guy's kitties.

Most cats have some playfulness in them. You should just visit with a few cats at a shelter and see which has the personality you are looking for.

Cats won't just come up to you and scratch you, but if their nails are long you might get scratched simply by accident. Just keep them trimmed.

Cats don't automatically hate water, although most don't like the "rush" of a shower or sprayer. and while cats do lick themselves clean, you may still want to bathe them sometimes (to reduce shedding and the amount of hair the cats injests....to also rid the cats of dust/dirt/debris, like cat litter, so the cat doesn't have to injest that)

If you have the opportunity to adopt TWO cats, that would be ideal. Watching them interact can be fun in and of itself. Playing, washing each other, cuddling, chasing, wrestling. AND, you have twice the chance that there will be a cat that wants to play wih you.

The other week my friends and I visited the animal shelter, which is in walking distance of my house. It's really close, and visit there alot in the summer. Well the first room you pass by is the cats.

One cat was soo beautiful. He was a brown tabby with lime green eyes. The first thing he did was push up against the cage and rub his face on it.

I remember trying to bathe my grandmother's cat, Oscar. It was hell.

My mom and I discussed this. She said she either wanted to rescue a cat and a small dog, or two kitties. I would enjoy both, but I really want a chihuahua, but I know she would go for two kitties.

Two kitties will keep each other amused when there are no humans around. I'm sure the shelter will tell you this, but you're much better off to keep them indoors at all times - no fleas, ticks, dogs, wild animals, catching diseases from other cats, traffic, or running off and getting lost when they're startled. And if you get two kitties, there won't be a dog picking up ticks and fleas outside and passing them to the cat!

Love, Columbine

Oh my goodness, you are in for an awakening once you get your kitties! Cats are very lively. They do sleep a lot, but when they're awake, they are in contant motion.

I have 5 cats with vastly different peronalities. But they all love to play. They are obsessed with laser lights. They come out of hiding when they hear even the slightest tinkle of the laser keychain. They'll sit for hours and watch birds outside - they might look like they're just sitting there, but every muscle is on alert and ready to spring into action. My guys also love feather teasers, furry mice, and catnip. They'll play by themselves or with each other. Its a hoot to watch two cats wrestling. And they'll blow your mind with how smart they are, and how well they use their paws. Mine can open drawers, plastic containers, and unscrew lids using their paws.

I bathe them, much to their displeasure. But they take care of themselves perfectly fine. Cats are meticulous groomers and keep themselves nice and clean.

I've only been scratched accidentally. I've been gotten good too! but they were scared or felt threatened and I just happened to get in their way to escape.

I always laugh when people say they don't like cats. I always KNOW they haven't ever been owned by one. If you are truly owned by a cat, you can no longer say you don't care for them.