Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Farrah's story...

Farrah's story...

Did anyone watch this last night?

I didn't want to stay up but ended up watching the whole 2 hours.

Farrah Faucet was before my time but still I felt the need to see what she is and was going through. What her life was about.
    I was half expecting at the end of the show for them to show a birth and death date....
    I suspect she will go any day now.

Poor family... poor Farrah, I could never go through all the pain she is and was going through without trying to end it myself... so sad.

It really is a wonder how we haven't found a cure for cancer yet....

and we spend billions on war and the stupid space program....
    Last edited by beeniesmom; 05-16-2009 at 04:41 PM.

I watched it.

I'm from the Farrah age. I really didn't want to watch it, but found myself drawn to it.

It was so sad. Kind of changed my mind about Ryan O'Neal. He loves her so much and is just torn up.

It did bring my sister's battle with cancer all back. She died 2 years ago last January. So, of course I cried most of the way through it.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I was fighting to stay awake, and only made it thru the first hour. It's being rebroadcast tomorrow night on MSNBC at 6:00, so I definitely will be watching the whole thing.

A very sad story - just heartbreaking. And she just wanted to be left alone and not have her illness made a media circus, but they just had to hound her. At least she got to tell her story in her own way tho - that's got to bring her some peace I would imagine.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Oh, for a second there I thought I missed it. I'm going to have the TV on while I'm cooking. I hope I can get through it.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

I wanted to watch it last night but I missed it. When I went to the link and looked it up I found that it's being shown again on these networks:
    Channel Date & Time Title
    OXYGN Sat, May 16, 4:00 PM Farrah's Story
    OXYGN Sun, May 17, 1:00 PM Farrah's Story
    MSNBC Sun, May 17, 6:00 PM Farrah's Story New
    BRAVO Mon, May 18, 11:00 PM Farrah's Story
    BRAVO Tue, May 19, 1:00 AM Farrah's Story
    BET Sat, May 23, 8:00 PM The Cookout
    BET Sun, May 24, 6:00 PM The Cookout

I don't know what "THE COOKOUT" is.

Blog Entries
    I grew in the Farrah times. I think she is trying to get across the fact that there is more out there then what the US has to offer in medical cures & why do you have to fly half way around the world to be treated? There are all these side affects with the drugs they use already in the US to cure or treat cancer. If you are terminal why not be able to try something that could possibly work? There is all this legal crap in the US that prevents this so you have to leave the country to receive meds & surgery that could prolong your life. Farrah is lucky in a way she can afford to do this on her own private flights besides. It does look grim for her & I pray she slips away peacefully with as less pain as possible. When you are a film/tv star your life is no longer yours like it or not. I liked it when she slashed up that trashy Inquirer. That has to be the most disgusting unprofessional trashy magazine out there.

I chose to not watch the show. I am 5 years out from my own battle with cancer. My heart goes out to Farrah and Ryan O'neal. The care givers are as much a casualty of this cruel disease as the one infected. Everyone on this forum will be effected in some way by this terrible disease in their lifetime. It doesn't care if you are a movies star or just someone struggling to make a living.

post by beeniesmom
    It really is a wonder how we haven't found a cure for cancer yet....

While we have seen some success with the conventional treatment now available namely chemo and radiation the survival rate of some cancers have not improved in the last 40 years. I am of the opinion that if a cure is found it will come from outside of our present medical community. Cancer is big business. Billions are made every year from our antiquated methods. If a magic pill was found tomorrow it would never see the light of day. We have lobbyist in Washington working every day just to maintain the status quo. This is my biased opinion but I feel it is a valid one.

Cancer can be a big business.

We must remember that cancers are as varied as the humans it affects. For every part of the human body there is at least one type-there are also many questions as to how c-cells are triggered, are they a genetic disposition, why does it affect some family members and not others, does a lifestyle choice make a difference?

Where does that type of cancer 'live'? Can we track it down in our DNA-a piece of science we barely have begun to explore?

-----------------------

I really dislike all the hospital/medical shows on TV-they are way too idiotic and give people the false hope that any kind of illness can be cured right before the end credits.

BTW?

There was a doc who worked for our med center who had polio.
    He was a surgeon and a nice guy....One night he disappeared and they called the page operator to have him paged.

No need, he borrowed the key to a meeting room, he was giving a nurse a phyical and 'consultation'.
    I always think of him when I see HOUSE.
    True story!
    The secret of life is nothing at all
    -faith hill

Hey you, don't tell me there's no hope at all -
    Together we stand
    Divided we fall.

I laugh, therefore? I am.

No humans were hurt during the posting of this message.

Farrah

Quote Originally Posted by kokopup View Post
    I chose to not watch the show. I am 5 years out from my own battle with cancer. My heart goes out to Farrah and Ryan O'neal. The care givers are as much a casualty of this cruel disease as the one infected. Everyone on this forum will be effected in some way by this terrible disease in their lifetime. It doesn't care if you are a movies star or just someone struggling to make a living.

post by beeniesmom

While we have seen some success with the conventional treatment now available namely chemo and radiation the survival rate of some cancers have not improved in the last 40 years. I am of the opinion that if a cure is found it will come from outside of our present medical community. Cancer is big business. Billions are made every year from our antiquated methods. If a magic pill was found tomorrow it would never see the light of day. We have lobbyist in Washington working every day just to maintain the status quo. This is my biased opinion but I feel it is a valid one.
    You are absolutely right! Cancer is being cured in Europe and Asia, but here it is such a huge business, that no matter how much money is thrown at so-called cures... chemo and radiation are still going to be the only options available. It would be hard to do, but I think Farrah and Patrick Swayze both should have gone to the media and said, "SEE! These treatments they give everyone, do NOT work!"

Red 46

all cancers are different. Some are more easily treated than others. Depends on the person, and how soon you are diagnosed. Look how many men survive prostate cancer now. My dad had it, got surgery and is totally fine. The cure rate for Acute Lymphoblastic Leukemia (ALL) is near 90% whereas it was under 10% just 30 years ago. You can't generalize such a widespread disease. Just because they are all "cancer" does not mean they are all treated the same.

Quote Originally Posted by aTailOf2Kitties View Post
    all cancers are different. Some are more easily treated than others. Depends on the person, and how soon you are diagnosed.
    I pray this is true. My good friend who lives in England was diagnosed w/the same type of cancer that Farrah Fawcett has. She was living in the U.S. at the time, had 3 chemo and radiation treatments and stopped them because she couldn't stand it. She went the alternative route and so far is cancer free after one brief recurrence. Another friend who just recently passed from pancreatic cancer also underwent chemo and the drs. told him that it was the chemo that was killing him so he stopped it, too, and lived a quality life for a year and a half afterwards. I missed the first half of FF's special but when I see what she went through, I feel so badly for her. Yet she's grateful for life so it isn't for me to judge but it's doubtful that I could endure the treatments that she has. For me the cure is often worse than the disease.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I watched the FF story and kind of wish I hadn't. It was enlightening, but very depressing and I was in tears at the end when her son was allowed to visit. I don't believe she even knew he was there.

I really believe that survival rate depends on how early it is detected and how aggressive the treatment. It seems that she just didn't get an aggressive approach early on. Perhaps if she had the surgery first, then she would have stood more of a chance.

Cancer survival rates have come a long way, but I believe they could be better with all the technology available today. My best friend's mother had a mastectomy back in the early 1960's when she was in her 50's, and lived to the ripe old age of 95. However my father died within 4 months of being diagnosed with colon cancer back in the early 1970's. Was it just that one of these cancers was found very early. and the other not found till it had progresses too far - why do some survive and others not - is it the course of treatment or lack thereof? Difficult to say I suppose.

I really believe that the U.S. should allow people with cancer to undergo unapproved or experimental treatment within the U.S. if thy so desire. What have they got to lose?? Maybe if FF had been allowed to do this, instead of running back and forth to Germany so many times, it might have given her more time and energy to fight this battle on the homefront, instead of wasting precious time and energy traveling out of the country. But of course - that's something no one will ever know for sure.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

As far as the "stupid space program" goes....

Had an MRI? Thank NASA.

CT scan? NASA

Remote monitors in hospital rooms? NASA

The computer you're typing on (and pretty much anything that has to do with miniaturized circuitry)? NASA again.

The problem with the "stupid space program" isn't that we spend too much money on it, we don't spend ENOUGH on it. Robert Heinlein had an excellent essay published in the 1970's on the topic, and at the time of the essay NASA's budget worked out to about $.05 per day, per taxpayer. For that return I'll triple my contribution at a minimum.

We're far too timid with NASA. We had the tech tree to be on Mars two decades ago. Instead, now we rely on China to launch our commercial satellites.

Billions on wars? That one I can't argue. Would that the Kellog-Briand pact had born fruit..........
    The one eyed man in the kingdom of the blind wasn't king, he was stoned for seeing light.

As far as the "stupid space program" goes....

Had an MRI? Thank NASA.

CT scan? NASA

Remote monitors in hospital rooms? NASA

The computer you're typing on (and pretty much anything that has to do with miniaturized circuitry)? NASA again.

The problem with the "stupid space program" isn't that we spend too much money on it, we don't spend ENOUGH on it. Robert Heinlein had an excellent essay published in the 1970's on the topic, and at the time of the essay NASA's budget worked out to about $.05 per day, per taxpayer. For that return I'll triple my contribution at a minimum.

We're far too timid with NASA. We had the tech tree to be on Mars two decades ago. Instead, now we rely on China to launch our commercial satellites.
    I agree that NASA expenditures have put far more back into our economy than it takes. I worked for NASA from 1964 till 1969 and the beloved PC we have come to depend on was born out of the program. Maybe if NASA had been given the budget to find a cure one would have already been found. At least they know how to approach a problem.

I agree that some cancers have had progress in cure rates and the sooner cancer is detected the higher survival rates will be. I do see other cancers that are unchanged because the cure methods have not improved. The side effects from Chemo and Radiation on Head and Neck cancer is VERY life changing.