Thread: Aramis and Porthos (box turtles)

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)

Aramis and Porthos (box turtles)

I haven't posted anything about my box turtles in awhile. Honestly, they've been pretty dullsville for many months, basically inactive while the weather was cold. They're all still indoors, though, but I guess their natural calendars let them know it was time to "hibernate."

They are all more active, now, and I see each of them almost daily. I still soak them several times a week and they enjoy that time, and the sun when they're soaking outside!

Aramis has doubled in the year we've had him, as has Athos. Porthos is the only one who hasn't really grown much, and Athos has been bigger than him for awhile now.

I changed their habitat, removing the plastic containers and adding more dirt. I think they enjoy it more, as it is easier for them to navigate.

Here's big boy Aramis, after a meal of powdered vitamin coated mealworms. You can see the vitamins on his mouth, he's a really messy eater!

Profile shot!

And, looking out the window.

The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Porthos and the turtle house

Here's wee man Porthos, hiding in his coconut hut.

And, here's how I have their home set up, now.

You can see their "pool" in the top right hand corner and their food in the bottom left. The other things are for hiding and climbing (and for Aramis, they're for rearranging...he's a bit of a bulldozer).

The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Awee they are both so pretty.. Just Love their stunning color.. Adorable they both are.. great pics thanks

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Quote Originally Posted by lvpets2002 View Post
    Awee they are both so pretty.. Just Love their stunning color.. Adorable they both are.. great pics thanks
    Thanks! I need to get photos of Athos, too, I think he has the prettiest shell!

They are adorable! I love how they all look like they're smiling.

Thank you Wolf_Q!

ugh....I'm not sure what to say.... hmm... cute house for em'.... i'm a bit silly.....
    not much to say for me....

Quote Originally Posted by CathyBogart View Post
    They are adorable! I love how they all look like they're smiling.
    Thanks, I think Aramis has the biggest smile! I'll have to look at some of their photos that I've taken...I really do need to get one of Athos.

Quote Originally Posted by Bella_Sadie_Hailey
    ugh....I'm not sure what to say.... hmm... cute house for em'.... i'm a bit silly.....
    not much to say for me....
    Silly? Not the description I would use, but thanks for the comment I bolded.

Great pics, I love the "vitamin" moustache (spelling?) And I love the way their habitat is set up. Looks like a fun place to live

I love box turtles so much and these two are just beyond adorable. I love how you have their home set up, it really looks wonderful. Someday when I'm able to have a proper setup I would LOVE to have a couple box turtles or tortoises! I will live vicariously through you until then
    Mom to Raven and Rudy the greyhound

Missing always: Tasha & Tommy, at the Rainbow Bridge

Quote Originally Posted by 3Catcondo View Post
    Great pics, I love the "vitamin" moustache (spelling?) And I love the way their habitat is set up. Looks like a fun place to live

They definitely enjoy it more since I've removed the plastic boxes. They're able to scoot around a lot easier!

Quote Originally Posted by K9soul
    I love box turtles so much and these two are just beyond adorable. I love how you have their home set up, it really looks wonderful. Someday when I'm able to have a proper setup I would LOVE to have a couple box turtles or tortoises! I will live vicariously through you until then
    Yeah, I can't wait for them to be able to live outside. They're still a little young now (Aramis is probably big enough), but hopefully by the time they get to needing more space, we'll be able to give it to them! I'd love to have a little pond and a garden just for the boxies!

Aww what little cuties. Are they in a glass terrarium? I can't really tell... I love their set up.
    Fuzzies for Furries
    Northwest Opossum Society
    Zoology Major
    2 Virginia Opossums, 6 cats, 4 bearded dragons, 1 iguana, 1 red foot tortoise, 1 tripod chihuahua, 5 mice, dubia and hissing cockroaches as well as other misc animals that wander in and out of my home.

They are so cute! I love the vitamin mustache.

Andy was admiring the russian tortoises and red eared sliders at the store the other day. The tortioses were chowing down their dinner and so funny to watch.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

I didn't know people actually kept box turtles as pets! They are striking creatures, though. We have family on our garden hill in the back of our house. We've named them Otis and Odessa. There's a picture in my profile album of one of them with my kitty...

Thanks for the pics!!

Quote Originally Posted by luckies4me View Post
    Aww what little cuties. Are they in a glass terrarium? I can't really tell... I love their set up.
    I'm sorry I'm just now responding, I hadn't read this thread in awhile!

It's a wooden box lined with heavy duty plastic (I think it's used for lining outdoor ponds). The top portion of the enclosure is plexiglass, so there's no chance of them getting out, but lots of light still gets in! I chose a wooden box because seeing the "outdoor world" but not being able to get to it seems like it would be frustrating.

so cool! my moms dog will collect those on our trail rides all the time. He will find them and carry them a ways, then let them go and go find another lol. I think the most he has found was 7 turtles in one day! I'll have to take some pic of them the next time, they look like fun to photograph