Thread: Need advice for Sophie

Need advice for Sophie

My 4 year old english cocker, Sophie, is ill and we are searching for ideas. She was totally fine and normal yesterday, ate a good dinner, and this morning woke up a 3 am and couldn't get comfortable, kept changing positions, places etc. This went on for a couple hours. I got up with her, she continued to keep moving after lying down for a few minutes. When I let her out, she laid down in the yard (which she NEVER does). She goes up and down the stairs fine, jumps on the bed/couch fine. Her belly is soft and I can't find anything that seems painful (and she is a wimp, she cries if you touch something that hurts). We took her to the emergency vet, her temp and vitals were fine, chest and abdominal x-rays normal, and labs (CBC and chem panel with liver and kidney function) were normal. She is better now, not so "uncomfortable", but still not herself. If she isn't back to normal tomorrow, we'll take her to her regular vet, but I am stumped about what the problem could be.

any ideas?

jakes mom

Maybe a bite

We have had a lot of rain this Spring and ANTS are everywhere. It is possible that she was bitten by an ant or ants or even a bee and is just reacting to it. Obviously something is making her uncomfortable. Maybe just an upset stomach? "We" get them. I would wait a bit and keep a close eye on her - but see if she just doesn't settle down on her own.

Might be an upset tummy, might have eaten a junebug or something. If your dog is throwing up, or has runny stools, you might try a spoonful of canned pumpkin or plain yogurt.
    Keep us posted.

My dog Jagger did the same thing a few weeks ago he would cry by the door every 5 minutes go out a nd stand there, vimper while laying down, and he would only rest for seconds. he would come stare at us like he lost his best friend, and was just not himself. we decided to wait it out and in a day and a half he was back to his normal self, being a dork. im sure dogs get all the anoying things we do, indigestion, probably head aches as well, anything. just a whole lot more nerve wracking when they cant tell us whats wrong

she's fine...

Soph went to the ER, had a thorough exam (nothing found), labs (CBC and chem panel, normal), and x-rays (chest and abdomen, normal)...and later in the day she was better, and by the next day, totally normal. I think she had indigestion from a big dinner the night before---she usually doesn't eat much, not really a chow hound, so i don't pay too much attention to how much is in her bowl. The vet did say she could lose a couple pounds...so I guess I will need to pay more attention to that...

jake's mom