Thread: Baby Bunnies...

Baby Bunnies...

For the past week or so.. something has been trying to make a nest in our front mulched area. Its less than 5 feet from our front door and equally as far from our next door neighbor's front door. We live in a town house aka patio home.. whatever you want to call it. Every time I'd see the bedding, I'd pick it up and toss it away and smooth out the mulch. I really didnt want some kind of animal nesting there. But I guess they really wanted to be there...

I went out this morning to put my mail out by the mailbox and noticed all this gray fur... stepped a little closer and the fluff moves... Oh yea.. there's baby bunnies in it. Ugh. They dug the hole and filled it with fur overnight. It wasn't there yesterday, I'm positive.

Now I'm worried about the few random cats we see out and about... And now we have to be extra careful when letting the dogs out the front door. We'll be leaving it alone... I have to walk near it to water my daisies (green & yellow pots in the first pic)... but other than that, we'll be hands off! Don't want the Momma to abandon them.

I'm not thrilled about this because a bunny made a nest near my mom's front door a while back and we woke up to baby bunnies strewn about the front walk way. Momma never came back for them so we tried to care for them and they all died. I hope this Momma does better!!

Here's a few pictures of the nest.

This is looking at the mulched area from the street. The nest is behind the center rock.

Here's looking at it from the left side...

And from our front door (right side)...

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Oh, dear, not a smart place for a nest. Hopefully she'll chose a better, more sheltered and safer spot!
    I've Been Frosted

I had a bunny make a nest in the middle of my yard last year, next to a tree. It looked like some dead grass and then one day I went over and 5 little bunnies ran in all directions. It was very shallow, maybe an inch or two. A very strange spot but it worked.

What is up with these careless bunny mommas anyway?!?

I have baby bunnies under my shed! I saw one last night and he was sooooo cute hopping around the hole they made to get under the shed. I want to try to get some pics of them. I will sneak out my sliding door and hide behind one of the chairs on my deck. I am glad they didn't build their nest in the yard somewhere for obvious reasons. We have lots of bunnies and I love seeing them in my yard.

I too love bunnies.. I had one growing up. I just don't like their nests so close to the house!! We have woods right across our street... so I don't know why she didnt go make a next right there.. under the honeysuckle bushes. Then they wouldn't have to cross our street either.. Makes me so nervous thinking about Momma Bunny crossing our street to check on her babies... People FLY up and down our street. I should put up a sign.. "Slow down, Momma Bunny crossing!!"..lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Seravieve View Post
    I too love bunnies.. I had one growing up. I just don't like their nests so close to the house!! We have woods right across our street... so I don't know why she didnt go make a next right there.. under the honeysuckle bushes. Then they wouldn't have to cross our street either.. Makes me so nervous thinking about Momma Bunny crossing our street to check on her babies... People FLY up and down our street. I should put up a sign.. "Slow down, Momma Bunny crossing!!"..lol.
    Once the babies appear, do so! We had a sign in a major intersection of our city one year for "rabbit crossing" complete with a bunny silhouette. Why a momma rabbit would choose that particular spot - between railroad tracks (busy ones) and a pair of busy streets - I'll never know!
    I've Been Frosted

Quote Originally Posted by Karen View Post
    Once the babies appear, do so! We had a sign in a major intersection of our city one year for "rabbit crossing" complete with a bunny silhouette. Why a momma rabbit would choose that particular spot - between railroad tracks (busy ones) and a pair of busy streets - I'll never know!
    Hmmmm...these bunny moms need some parenting classes!
    Wait, no, not parenting, maybe home economics!

Just checked on the little ones several minutes ago. Looks like Momma moved the fur and now you can see two CUTE little babies in there. Hopefully she comes back to cover them up for the night.. Although its going to stay in the 60s tonight, it'll be storming, so they might get wet.