Thread: i need some help

i need some help

I just added a new Doberman Pinscher to our family we already had two Chihuahua's all of them are females. The Doberman is 13 weeks old she chews and bites all the time. I was wondering how could i stop that? She likes to play with the Chihuahua's but they are so small they are scared of her and they won't play with her i think its because she plays to hard with them how do i stop that as well? I tell her "no" but it doesn't seem to work. I was wondering if there was a way I could train her not to bite all the time? BTW Bella is a three year old CHihuahua and Sadie is a one year old Chihuahua. Bella is the alpha so she hates the biting...
    Thanks so much!

You need to start obedience training now - yes, now. Dobermans are very, very smart, and you need to train them when they are young and keep at it - she will be a large strong doggie when full grown, so set the precedent now, when you still have the upper hand. But also keep a spray bottle of water handy so you can spritz her just to startle her into stopping when she start nipping at the older dogs. Dogs aren't born knowing what "No" means, you need to teach her, and if the older dogs won't play, or correct her, you need to! Also have plenty of chew toys handy to substitute.
    I've Been Frosted

I've started that she knows sit, stay, lay, shake, come. I'm working on leave it and down and heel! But its not as easy as the other were. I've tried the spray bottle it doesn't work either. I was wanting to know what else there was? Thanks for your answer! I also walk her a lot and she has TONS of toys. Do you know anymore obedence training things I could do? Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Bella_Sadie_Hailey View Post
    I've started that she knows sit, stay, lay, shake, come. I'm working on leave it and down and heel! But its not as easy as the other were. I've tried the spray bottle it doesn't work either. I was wanting to know what else there was? Thanks for your answer! I also walk her a lot and she has TONS of toys. Do you know anymore obedence training things I could do? Thanks!
    Okay, you can just give up on the spray bottle - it works with some dogs, but not with others. If she is noise-sensitive, which Dobies can be, try tossing a few pebbles or pennies in a rinsed out soft drink can, and tape over the hole. Then you can give it a sharp shake to disrupt whatever she is doing. It makes a loud, unpleasant noise.

Dobes are smart. smart dogs - so keep repeating the training over and over, just as an activity to keep her brain active and focused. You might try starting fetch, and other games that are more work for her than you ... a tired Dobie is a good Dobie! All the work that you will put in over the next year, which may seem long and exhausting - will be worth it to end up with a happy, well-trained Dobie in the long run. After she's had all her shots, taking her to a dog park to be able to run and learn to play with other dogs will also be good for her socialization. Other bigger dogs will teach her about "playing nice" which her own siblings are obviously not bothering with!

An obedience class would also help with her socialization, and her bonding with you, which is why I recommended it.
    I've Been Frosted

I agree with Karen... get your puppy in puppy kindergarten and puppy play classes - like, RIGHT NOW! Getting out to socialize with friendly, well-adjusted adult dogs who can teach her some manners and other puppies will help a lot with bite inhibition.

You need to teach her that her teeth are painful to your skin. Every time her teeth hurt you, let out a sharp squeal (or whatever shocking, high pitched noise stuns her enough that she stops) and turn away from her. End all interaction and play, so that she knows all of the fun is over the moment she gets too rough. Do this every day, consistently. If she is bullying/hurting the Chis, I would keep her leashed around them and give her a stern verbal correction (I like "AH-AH") then redirect her attention if she's pestering them. Make sure she gets plenty of walks, play time, and exercise so that she isn't taking out all of her energy on the little dogs.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I want to thank you guys!!! I have been trying these things and Hailey is getting better. She doesn't bite as much anymore, her and the Chihuahua's LOVE playing as long as hailey isn't to rough! They play a lot and they all three seem to love it. Then when they get tired they'll all take a nap with each other. It is REALLY cute!! Hailey is doing very well on all her obedeince training. She is a VERY smart pup and LOVES to please me, she'll work as hard as she can and over and over again until she gets it right. I love training her and spending all my time with these three loving and sweet & smart dogs! Thank you all so very much. Oh and I have been walking her a lot so that she can see little kids big kids older people and other animals she seems to love meeting new people and animals. She also loves seeing her friends.
    Thanks for all of your help!!

I'm glad to hear that Hailey is doing well. Dobies are amazing dogs! Please post pictures of your girls, if you can.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I'd LOVE to post pictures but i am not sure how... If you could tell me how I'd love to post them on this thread. Thanks!
    I am too and YES they are!

I uploaded one of my chihuahua's on here her name is bella she is the three year old the one that can be mean. LOL! Anyways, it won't let me upload one of Hailey and Sadie how come?

Hmm... I'm not sure? Maybe you could attach them to different posts?

You can easily upload lots of pictures if you make a http://www.photobucket.com account.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

I have a few suggestions for you to consider.

The Dobe needs to be socialized with other dogs her age and size, so she can learn her "doggie" manners. She is not able to learn these things from your Chi's as they are too small to do things like a body block to her, to stop her from doing stuff.

You can do this through obedience classes (which I highly recommend with a Dobe!), or through doggie play dates. Try www.meetup.com, see if there is a dog play group meeting near you for her size dog. If you find one, it is free to join meetup.com and then you join the group you are interested in so you receive email reminders of the meeting dates. You need to be sure to use the RSVP function so they know how many to expect at a given play date.

You could also try craiglist under Pets, but be cautious as you never know who you are connecting with on there. There are many good pet owners on there, but also some real nuts!

For the chewing (but NOT chewing on the chi's, lol), you have a chew toy ready to trade. You use a sound (ah-ah is the most common in training) and make disgusted noises. Have a nice little hissy fit, of disgusted sounds, to get your point across. No scolding, yelling or hitting the dog. Dogs do pick up on the tone and learn from that. Once she stops, move to another part of the room or the yard, offer her the toy in your hand and praise, praise, praise!

You have a wonderful pup, start now to help her grow into a well mannered adult dog!

Thanks everyone! I'll check that out! I'm not sure why it isn't working either. Ok I'll try that.