Thread: English Bulldog - Help, Aggression

English Bulldog - Help, Aggression

My 18 month old Male English Bulldog has become aggressive towards me, biting me twice, we just got him fixed about 3 weeks ago hoping that would calm him down some. He doesn't listen to me at all but with my husband he's the sweetest dog possible. I thought that English Bulldogs were supposed to be sweet loving dogs, I don't know where this aggression is coming from or what to do about it.

Look up NILIF, study it and obey by it.
    I assume you are sucky with him and let him get away with alot where your hubby doesnt which is why he likes your hubby.
    Dogs like leadership.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

What were you doing when he bit you?

I highly recommend consulting a behaviorist who uses only positive reinforcement training through http://www.iaabc.org/.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Quote Originally Posted by gtmanning View Post
    and please, avoid the world of "dog trainers", too much anger, too contraversial, just take a good look at yourself.
    Ummm... what?

You're telling this woman, who has no idea why her dog is attacking her, and who is pregnant, that she should avoid professional help? She needs to get a good behaviorist YESTERDAY. Looking at herself will not do her any good if she hasn't the faintest clue what to look for.

A certified, licensed, positive reinforcement dog behaviorist is not angry, or controversial. They will assess the dog's behavior as well as the owner's behavior, and use their years of experience, schooling and expertise to find a training regimen that works and teach the owners exactly what to do and how to do it. Gonzo is a changed dog because of ONE session with a behaviorist. It was well worth the $175 and the daily training, to have a stable dog. Even if you do as much research and "looking" as possible, the advice of an outside, impartial professional can be essential to correcting behavioral issues through training... especially in as serious a situation as a dog biting their owner.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

Not anger... just bewilderment. It does upset me when people are given bad advice that could result in them getting hurt, or worse. To me, this is a place for learning and growing and sharing, and yes that does include civil debate.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz

George, I have absolutely no miffs with your first post. I think it's a very nice guideline.

However, to discourage seeking out a behaviorist, is what I do have a problem with. How can you be 100% sure that this is dominance related when you cannot be there to observe? Based on just a single, undetailed paragraph, how do you make that assumption? It is very important that a professional observe the situation first-hand to give personalized advice for such a serious situation. This dog isn't even fully mature, and he's biting one of his owners.

Why, thank you. You should post some pictures of your dogs.
    Last edited by bckrazy; 05-10-2009 at 06:54 PM.

<3 Erica, Fozz n' Gonz