Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Need dog food storage ideas, please!

Quote Originally Posted by Kater View Post
    Some tips I learned about pet food storage...

-Keep dry pet food in the ORIGINAL BAG if at all possible.
    -The bag can then be put inside something plastic, but transferring food from the original bags to plastic bins has been proven to negatively affect palatability.
    -In addition, food in plastic containers oxidizes faster and therefore degrades more quickly (e.g. loss of polyunsaturated fatty acids and fat-soluble vitamins).

(This information comes from a DVM boarded in veterinary internal medicine that knows more about the inner workings of the pet food industry than anyone I know.)
    Very interesting info! Thanks... I think I'll stick with leaving the food in the bag now.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

My animadversion

Me too

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    I use 5 gallon paint buckets. They're airtight and easy to store and rearrange. And, cheap! I can't see paying $40 for a container made specifically for dog food.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

I have 40 pounds shipped to me at a time. I keep it inside a Rubbermaid container that fits inside a chest that was inherited when my Dad passed away. It's in the sun room and blends in with the rest of the furniture. It's like a footlocker but an antique.
    Labmomma X 2
    Love me, love My Boyz!!

I finally remembered to look at the brand of ours.. could never find a picture like it online. Here it is:

It's interesting to read that a plastic container could change the food so much. I do notice that the kibble is a dark brown when first added to the container, and lighter by the time we're ready for a new bag.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

My son has two big dogs so he buys the 50 pound bag. He stores it in a huge plastic bin with wheels on it. He keeps it in the kitchen.

Interesting info about the plastic and emptying the bag into the bin. I'll tell him about this tomorrow.

Daisy and Delilah's food is in a medium Tupperware container that fits on the pantry shelf. Quite a contrast.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!