Thread: Cable internet access question

Cable internet access question

We're moving the computer from the first floor to the third floor. We have the internet cable coming out of the wall on the first floor. There is a cable on the third floor for tv.

What I want to know is this: Is the tv cable the same cable as internet? Or is the one on the first floor a different type of cable line than the one intended for a tv?

If I can't use the cable on the third floor, any ideas on how to bring it up two stories?

We'd really like to have a dining room again! Its been an office for far too long.

It probably varies from market to market, but on my system I can hook into any wall jack the computer modem is plugged into. But I made sure all of my wall jacks were turned ON when the guy came to do the upgrades, just so I could do that. I had all of my wall jacks upgraded when I got cable internet, but I also got digital cable package.

Granted I live in a little po-dunk Tennessee town and the cable company is privately owned, so our system is probably several years behind "current" LOL

Is the cable coming out of the wall going to a modem for convertion to ethernet or is the cable connected to your computer? Is this a round cable with a single pin in middle? (Coax) If you are connecting straight to your computer you probably have a modem else where.

On the systems I have seen, the cable for the TV is the same as the cable for the Internet with the possible addition of a filter. (Except for the high-speed fiber-optic system FiOS which may use coax inside the home but this is FiOS not cable.)

I would plug in the computer on the third floor into the TV cable. It may just work. If it did not work, I would look for the filter. It's a small connecter that screws into either end of the wire. It could be on the end of the cable on the third floor. But it's probably at the other end in the basement or where ever the cable enters your home. All you would need to do is to remove it by unscrewing it. It's there to filter out the Internet signals to maintain the quality of the TV signals.

There is a chance the cable wire at your computer now on the first floor has an extra connector on it. This would be an antennuator. If it does then I would still try the computer on the third floor first to see if it just works. If it did not I would bring this little connector, the antennuator, upstairs and connect it to the wire.

I imagine you will be able to get the computer to work. If this did not work then finding where the first floor wire is connected in the basement, disconnecting it and connecting the third floor wire in its place will work.

Paul

I'd say each carrier runs their lines differently. I know for a fact that the only cable jack in our house that supplies an internet connection is the one in our office.

If that turns out to be the case at your place, you can look into a wireless router, and a wireless adapter for your comp if it doesnt have one. Its relatively easy to set up too.

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Quote Originally Posted by Seravieve View Post
    I'd say each carrier runs their lines differently. I know for a fact that the only cable jack in our house that supplies an internet connection is the one in our office.
    Same here.

You know who can probably answer this easily for you, are the folks at a local Best Buy! That will be faster than calling your cable company; it is for me.

If you need to run the wire upstairs, take the time to do it right, through the wall, not outside of the wall. I spent the better part of a month "fixing" everything when I bought my house 6 years back; and yes, I made the Seller take some money off because all the wires were out. UGH!