Thread: I'm going crazy!

I'm going crazy!

It's a long story, but my best friend currently has no place to live so I offered to let her and her dog Stella stay with me. The condition was that she can only be here until May 18th because that is when Alexa is getting back into town with Payson.
    It's only been one day and this dog is already driving me insane! When I came home my friend was still at work so I took Stella out for a nice long walk to help tire her out. Later I decided that I wanted to go shopping, but I couldn't leave the house. I sat in my driveway for more than 5 minutes listening to her bark nonstop and attack my door. It sounded like Cujo was living in my house. I finally came back in because I don't want my neighbors to hate me. Thankfully I have explained the situation to them and they are all being very nice about the fact that I have a barking dog living with me for two weeks.
    I'm also not used to the random barking as Payson rarely barks. I like to leave the front door open and lock the security door so that air can circulate and my swamp cooler will work better. Now my house is warm because if I leave the door open Stella barks nonstop.
    I realize that she isn't going to be here long enough for me to train but is there anyway to get her to be quiet? If I tell her to stop barking that just riles her up and she barks even more.

edit: I added a picture of her. When she is not barking and just sitting quitely next to me she's a very nice doggie.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Last edited by Uabassoon; 05-04-2009 at 10:41 PM. Reason: to attactch picture
    I've been Defrosted!

Thanks for the great signature Kay!

Spray bottle of water? What do you do when she starts barking? Two weeks IS enough to begin some training! a Kong filled with peanut butter is a good, quiet distraction ...
    I've Been Frosted

That has to be maddening. I can imagine how you feel. I would be throwing my hands in the air, wondering what to do next.

I wish I could help but I can only offer well wishes that things get better.

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!

I just talked to my friend's ex who informed me that if I carry a treat with me to the door then throw it across the room right as I'm about to walk out it will distract her and keep her from barking and attacking the door when you leave. So hopefully that works!

Karen I love the kong suggestion. I might have to go out and get her one tomorrow since I don't think she has one. I'm sure that would give me and my neighbors some peace!

I also want to try to handle the situation tactfully since I know my friend already feels horrible about having to live in my living room for two weeks.

I do realize that Stella might be a little stressed with everything going on. But I'm stressed too! Hopefully these two weeks will go by fast.
    I've been Defrosted!

Maybe you can crate her while nobody is home and give her the kong to distract her? At least she isn't destroying anything (hopefully)
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    Maybe you can crate her while nobody is home and give her the kong to distract her? At least she isn't destroying anything (hopefully)
    While I do think she should be crate trained. I'm not about to shell out money for a crate when she is only going to be living with me for two weeks. I've already had to spend money on a baby gate because of my cats and now I'm going to buy a kong and extra treats for her. She's not really destructive, it's mostly the barking and ramming into my front door that is driving me crazy.

The tossing the treat out the door trick worked ok. I had to go out again for my friends birthday and I tried it. I could tell once she had finished the treat as she barked for a little bit, but it wasn't anything compared to the episode she had earlier today. Hopefully when I get a kong it will be an even greater distraction.

More than anything I'm worried that I'm going to end up hating my best friend over her dog and that my neighbors are going to hate me. Stella is a very smart girl, she is just not well trained at all. She knows some basic commands and will listen to me when I ask her to sit and stay however I can't convince her to stop barking. My friend and I often work opposite shifts so being at home without my friend to calm her down is frustrating.
    I've been Defrosted!

If I was closer I would loan you mine

Is Alexa graduating? That is great she is coming back.
    don't breed or buy while shelter dogs die....

I have been frosted!

Thanks Kfamr for the signature!

Quote Originally Posted by caseysmom View Post
    If I was closer I would loan you mine

Is Alexa graduating? That is great she is coming back.
    Nope she just finished her first year of law school so she is driving out here with Payson after finals and is going to stay with me for two weeks. Then when she heads back to Austin she is taking Pocky with her and some of my stuff that I don't currently need like winter clothes. I'm planning on moving out there in the middle of August.
    I've been Defrosted!

She seems to be doing a little better today, maybe she is feeling more settled. I put up a baby gate for my bedroom and yesterday if I sat in my room with the door open she would bark so I had to keep my door shut. Between yesterday and today she has learned that if she barks I will shut the door. So far I've been on my computer for a while and she is quietly sitting at the baby gate.
    I've been Defrosted!

I hope it continues to improve. You're a trooper!!

I've been Boo'd...
    Thanks Barry!