Thread: deaf dalmation puppy

deaf dalmation puppy

hey, I got offered a 3 month old dalmation puppy that the clinic i work at. A woman stoped by and dropped off a "free to good home" paper. I wasn't there when she was but one of the girls that work there told me about it. She said that the woman said that she is a breeder but the puppy was born deaf and a vet had told her to put it to sleep but she doesn't want to do that. I would love to have it, but I stay buisy as it is and don't think that I could take on a challange like that. I get the selective hearing alot from my dogs as it is. Does anyone know of some good recues in WV,OH, or KY I could refer her to?
    I didn't realize I put this in the wrong forum untill i already posted, lol. sorry

PM Karen and ask her to move it to the forum you would like it in.

I don't have any advice other than that so more people can see it.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Quote Originally Posted by Taz_Zoee View Post
    PM Karen and ask her to move it to the forum you would like it in.

I don't have any advice other than that so more people can see it.
    thanks

Why would you put a deaf pup to sleep? Some people are just idiots.
    You can try to look up some deaf dog forums.
    We have a deaf pup at the shelter where I volunteer and would never consider putting her down. She is amazing and being fostered by an awesome lady!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

Now why would a vet say put the pup to sleep.. Such a Idiot.. Dalmations are known to be born deaf.. I have a deaf cat & she does just fine.. You can also go to handicapppets.com & list the baby in the deaf section.. Good Luck with adopting this baby out..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

I would not adopt out this pup to just 'anyone' you can find. Make sure they have experience first. They breeder should have had experience with deaf dogs since dalmatians are prone to being deaf. Who cares if the pup is deaf?? That makes them more special.. They just need to be extra responsible and do special training. I don't have a deaf dog, but we are working with a deaf pup at the shelter and she is in foster care the LAST thing we would do is euthanize her.. She loves life and is very smart and very sweet. Why can't this pup just enjoy life? It's not right to kill off a deaf dog because it's deaf. That vet is I am sorry but idiotic for them to suggest putting it down!
    Krista- owned by Rudy, Dixie, Miagi & Angel

Rocky, Jenny, Ginger Buster & Tiger .. forever loved & always in my heart..

The only difference between a deaf pup and a hearing pup is the way you communicate ASL is the method of choice for most, although I don't know it because my deaf is blind as well. Touch is his preferred method. I find these pups are velcro dogs, and I just got my third deafie on the rescue railroad. You must have a fenced yard or only walk on lead. You can develop different touches or signals for different things. Gabriel is: touch on nose is sit,pat on chest is down, touch on the button on top of his head and he stands on his hind legs. We have a lot of resources available for you and I recommend www.ddeaf.org as well as www.amazingaussies.com for valuable tips. Doesn't matter the breed, the deafness is handled the same.
    If I can do it, anyone can!

OH geeze. I would love another dalmatian pup... My poor Honda is not doing well. But I don't think my landlord would allow it. Aww puppy.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

Oh, maybe look on the internet... google it. There is a dalmatian rescue somewhere near cincinnati ohio!

http://www.secondchancesdalrescue.com/ad.php
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

I wish I could take her. I am deaf, haha.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

Hey why dont you adopt this baby.. Would be a good playmate for Hank.. Oh I think you would have a blast of love..
    Quote Originally Posted by CountryWolf07 View Post
    I wish I could take her. I am deaf, haha.

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

It would be a interesting experience to own a deaf dog - however, I don't have the funds or $ to be able to afford to have this little girl. I hope she can find a great home...
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred