Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Redecorated my room last weekend! (update #36: new colors for the "kitty room"!)

Redecorated my room last weekend! (update #36: new colors for the "kitty room"!)

I was getting so tired of the colors here in my apartment, and I felt it's really time for something new. After painting my corridor in January, I now decided to redecorate my bedroom. This is also the room where my computer table is, which means that I'm spending a lot of time there - and so do the girls!

I was really really tired of the yellowish and reddish walls, and the blue carpet and curtains. I did a lot of soul-searching until I finally came up with an idea for a new color scheme: chocolate, nougat, cream and pistachio-green. The idea was that I wanted to make my old black furniture "disappear" in front of the dark walls - and I think it works, their ugliness is less obvious now.

And for some reason - despite of the dark colors - the room looks much bigger now! I like the result a lot, and so do the girls, as it seems. *g*

Here are some photos:

Last edited by Kirsten; 05-23-2009 at 10:42 AM.

The best deco pieces of all:

The next project will be my kitchen btw, and after that, the kitties' room.

Looks great! I love the colors. And the furkids make the room!

Looks awesome
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

I would have never dreamed those colors would come out looking so good! That is beautiful!!

Special Needs Pets just leave bigger imprints on your heart!

You did a terrific job!
    I should hire you to come do my home.

But then you'd have 3 totally different looking kitties and 2 doggies to match. LOL

I will miss you forever, my sweet Scooter Bug. You were my best friend. 9/21/1995 - 1/23/2010
    Goodbye, Oreo. Gone too soon. 4/2003 - 9/12/2011.
    Farewell & Godspeed, sweet Jadie Francine. You took a piece of my heart with you. 11/2002 - 8/8/2016
    Charlie kitty, aka: Mr. Meowy. Our home is far too silent now. 2003-6/14/2018

Thanks a lot!

I would have never dreamed those colors would come out looking so good!
    Yes, everyone I told about my plans said the room would look too dark, but once they saw the result, they agreed it's looking nice.

But then you'd have 3 totally different looking kitties and 2 doggies to match.
    That's a tough job indeed! Was probably much easier with two tabbies! LOL

Kirsten

These are interesting colors! Indeed, they match well with the furnitures. We are also redecorating our house and I know how difficult it is to choose a color.

I love the tabby decorations too

It is quite beautiful!
    I have a painting question. How do you manage it without "helpers"? I really want to do some painting but I can't imagine doing it without kitty paw prints across the carpet?
    Also, what kind of paint do you use? I'm afraid of the fumes and what it might do to the boys? It's been a long time since I painted so I suppose they've developed paint that is "green"/eco friendly?
    Claudia

That is beautiful.. just striking! What a fantastic job you have done.

I especially like all the cat decorations .. two-dimensional AND three-dimensional.

I wish you could come and redecorate my apartment!
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Gesh, I've been trying to pick out colors for a few years with no luck. You did an excellent, gorgeous job! I LOVE the colors! Your apartment is really lovely. And the kitties seem to agree!

I've been Boooo'd!

Your bedroom turned out great and your cats sure do make wonderful art pieces too.
    Do you have to keep your cats out of the room while you're painting it or are they good cats that will just sit there and watch you?

Wow Kirsten- you really have artistic skills- it's kind of an African style now and I think it looks very cool. Isn't it funny with design- it wears out, just like fashion does and then you have to go back and start new.

FANTASTIC Kirsten!! I love that deep brown colour!!

A few weeks ago I renewed our furniture & curtains too! Both are dark brown too! My hubby thought it would be to dark too; but now he loves it as much as I do
    I miss you enormously Sydney, Maya, Inka & Zazou Be happy there at the Rainbow Bridge

Thanks!

Well, re. my "helpers"... Luna couldn't care less, she spent the entire weekend on the top of the closet in the kitties' room, she didn't want to have anything to do with the mess. Lily tried to help at first, she was so excited and ran up and down the place. But after a while, she disappeared in the living room and wasn't seen before all the work was done.

Also, what kind of paint do you use? I'm afraid of the fumes and what it might do to the boys? It's been a long time since I painted so I suppose they've developed paint that is "green"/eco friendly?
    Well, even though my paint wasn't labelled as "eco", I choose one that barely smells. The kitties and I didn't have any problem with it. It's been a high quality paint and they mixed the colors I chose at the store.
    To be honest, I'm more concerned about the new carpet, as there's still a strong smell coming from it. Hope it's nothing that's doing any harm to the girls when they walk on it and lick their paws.

Kirsten