Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Blue Pup

Hybrid View

Blue Pup

I have tried writing this dozens of times and I couldn't make it just right. But it has already been a few days and I just can't put this off any longer.

I got Blue when I was nine years old. I had wanted a dog for a long time (we had a few when I was younger but I barely remember them). My aunt's, friend's, dog had a litter of pups so we went to check them out. They were all really cute and I actually didn't want the soon-to-be-Blue at first. But now I am so glad that my first choice wasn't chosen. He had been called Bear by the original owners because he was twice the size of his his brothers and sisters. We should have taken that as a hint that he wasn't going to be big, he was going to be huge. I had fun trying to train him and all summer we would go for 2-3 walks a day. Blue led me to tonnes of new trails, a hidden beach and to many new friends both human and dog.

Blue was a sweet heart. He loved life, he loved people, he loved food but most of all he loved his walks. He could go on for hours. Walking around the neighbourhood, finding new trails to explore, checking out his favourite trails and his favourite walk was a trail through some woods, along a stream that lead to a semi-private beach.

In the last couple of months he hadn't quite been right. At first it looked like he was packing on the weight but when we could start to feel his ribs and his spine we knew that it couldn't be the case. So on March 20, 2009 we took him to the vet who after some tests told us that his abdomen was full of fluid, which happened to be blood. He was bleeding out. The vet believes that it was his spleen if not then his liver. The fluid had pushed his organs up towards his chest squishing them together. It made it hard for him to breathe and the constant pressure on his heart caused him to have congestive heart failure(CHF).

He was strong for almost an entire month after the diagnosis. He ate normally for the most part and when he stopped eating his kibble he ate canned food and when he refused to eat that I spent a couple of hours learning about a good balanced diet so he could eat healthy human food. On his good days he he demanded we went for walks, even though they were short, he enjoyed them with every ounce of his soul. We had a joke that all the people who avoided him on our walks (apparently he was scary looking...?) were obviously stupid people that we didn't want to meet anyways which was confirmed by their ignorance of large dogs. On his bad days we sat out side in the back yard and listened to the birds, smelled the scents on the wind (well he did, I didn't) and watched the sun set.

On Thursday 16, 2009 Blue stopped eating, it was also his last walk and the next day his eyes started going yellow, which turned out as green with his eyes. He wasn't doing well but he wasn't ready to go right then. I kept asking him and he would go pick up a toy, get a drink or anything to show me that he wasn't ready. But on Sunday when I asked him if it was time he looked me in the eye and then went to sleep...he knew it was time. So we located the only e-vet in the area and brought him in that after noon.

When we got there we had to wait about 30 minutes until they could even see Blue. Now that I think back to it I am quite thankful for the extra time. We spent it outside the vet clinic since it was a perfect day. The temperature was perfect, the breeze was nice, the sun was shining and Blue enjoyed it. He sniffed around at interesting smells, let the wind blow in his face and then he came and sat with us while we shared good memories about him. Eventually the vet called us in and examined him. She let us bring him into our van before he was pts since he was so big (which the vet tech at first said wasn't aloud and that we would have to carry him out through the waiting room after, I still don't like her). He died peacefully surrounded by the people that loved him most.

To sum things up....Blue was a great dog and my best friend. It has been hard accepting that after nearly seven years I won't see him for a long time. He was my best friend who helped me when I lost some good pets, when I got a bad grade and especially when I had a rough year where it seemed that bad things just kept coming one after another. I still love him and I always will. Rest In Peace Blue, gone but never forgotten. One day I will see you again and my day will have its sun once more.

Last edited by Christmas_Hamster; 04-22-2009 at 08:05 PM.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

I am so sorry for your loss.
    Blue was definately loved and will continue to be loved.
    Run free at the bridge Beautiful Blue.

I'm so sorry about Blue. I have told you before, he was one of my favorites. Such a handsome boy. I'm sure he had a very good life with you and was a happy boy. I will miss seeing him. I'm sorry you have lost your best friend. Only time, a lot of time, will heal your pain. And yes you will see him again, one fine day. {{{hugs}}}
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla

I'm so sorry to hear this. What a beautiful tribute to a wonderful dog. I can tell how much he was loved through your writing and photos. Rest peacefully at the Bridge handsome Blue, we'll all miss you.

I'm sorry to hear about Blue he was a beautiful dog and he sounded special what kind was he?
    *Some people come into your life and quickly go, but some leave footprints on your heart and you are never the same*
    *We only fall so we can learn to pick ourselves back up*
    *Life is not measured by the amount of breaths we take but by those that take our breath away*
    *Life is made of millions of moments, but we live only one of these at a time. As we begin to change this moment we begin to change our lives*

I am so sorry He lived a wonderful life with you full of love and happiness.
    (((HUGS)))
    Rest in Peace Beautiful Blue
    Nikki[human],Zippy[tabby],and Pumpkin[orange tabby]
    Rest in Peace my Sweet Hammie Zoey
    Jan 1,09-March 26,2010

I'm so sorry to hear that Blue has crossed over to the RB. Always did enjoy seeing him on here.

A great tribute to a great dog! That was beautifully written, and I love all the pictures. Definitely was tearing up by the end.

((((((Christmas_Hamster))))))

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Thank you so much guys. I still miss him a lot and it has been hard but the thought of him not hurting any more makes it easier.

Genny: Blue was a german shepherd, husky and golden retriever mix.

|Dashing Hamsters|

Slave To:
    Sam-Dog
    Lumiel-Hamsters
    Midnight, Ginny, Kiona, & Eevie-Cats

I'm so sorry to hear about Blue. You did a very, very nice tribute to him. He's forever grateful to you.
    You're the one sure thing I've found so you better stick around...
    Best Fireman in da House´10
    dedicated to the kindest,loveliest and always helpful man that one would be honored and proud to know........R.I.P. Dear Phred

I am so sorry to see this. We didn't get to see Blue very much, but it was always a treat when we did. I could tell he was a special boy, and I am sure you miss him very much. {{{hugs}}}

RIP Blue.

I hail from South Carolina, but Texas is where I hang my hat :)
    Sorry this is a late response, but reading your story and viewing the photos, I had to say that my heart is with Blue today.
    The idea that some lives matter less is the root of all that is wrong with the world. - Dr. Paul Farmer

Wow that story made me cry! I am so very sorry for your loss, Blue was a VERY handsome dog! He looked sweet!!
    RIP Blue!

Im sorry you had to say goodby to your Blue. Im not looking forward to when my Blue goes to the bridge.
    I have a HUGE SIG!!!!

My Dogs. Erp the Cat.

Quote Originally Posted by Thomas Jefferson
    Tyranny is defined as that which is legal for the government but illegal for the citizenry.

I'm going through the same. It's hard to lose your best friend. But just knowing they feel better up there helps tremendously. Hopefully Honda has found Blue and they are together up there.
    Monica Callahan KPA-CTP *Woohoo!*

What a lovely tribute to your special Blue. By the time I got to the end of it, I could barely see through my tears. It's so hard to lose our furry soulmates. I'm glad you had that extra time with him. He sounds like he loved life. I know he loved you for all the things you did for him. He was a beautiful boy. He'll always be in your heart and memories. I know that's not good enough, I feel it myself. But until we meet again, we cherish those. Your tribute was just beautiful and touching

9/3/13
    I did the right thing by setting you free
    But the pain is very deep.
    If only I could turn back time, forever, you I'd keep.
    I miss you

I hear you whimper in your sleep
    I gently pet you and say, no bad dreams
    It will be alright, to my dog as dark as night.

Fur as dark as the night.
    Join me on this flight.
    Paws of love that follow me.
    In my heart you'll forever be.
    [/SIZE]

How I wish I could hold you near.
    Turn back time to make it so.
    Hug you close and never let go.
    11/12/06