Thread: Humane Society Volunteer?

Humane Society Volunteer?

Since starting to read this forum I have been seriously considering volunteering at a humane society. I have been educated as to the importance that we all pull together, and it's the least that I can do. But I'm kind of stumped as to where to go from here. Should I just call a couple of societies and see what they say?? Or how do I go about this? I admit I feel a little scared...

My local Humane Society has a website and lists the jobs that they could use volunteers for. I unfortunately can't give my time as of yet, but I do participate in events when I can and I donate items the Society needs (also listed at the website).

It definately wouldn't hurt if you call and ask about volunteering.
    ~Kimmy, Zam, Logan, Raptor, Nimrod, Mei, Jasper, Esme, & Lucy Inara
    RIP Kia, Chipper, Morla, & June

My advice is to see if there's a no-kill shelter near you where you can start. Don't get me wrong, the doggies in kill shelters need so much love too. But it will just be easier on you emotionally if you start at a really nice place where the dogs are at least semi-happy (not too many of them can be fully happy in that kind of environment).

I was scared before I started volunteering for my first time too. Since then it has become my whole life and I've worked at that shelter and now a new one. Just start off slow and see how deeply you really want to be involved. The deeper in you get, the harder and harder and HARDER it gets. But it is worth it.

Good luck
    Alyson
    Shiloh, Reece, Lolly, Skylar
    and fosters Snickers, Missy, Magic, Merlin, Maya

Cookiebaker,

Start out by just visiting your local Humane Society, thats what I did. You can ask the staff lots of questions, they always need some kind of help or donations of items, time or money. I usually take my kids every couple of weeks to socialize with the kittens and some puppies and everyone has fun. We also bring some things like toy mousies or jingle balls. Of course you must beware you will probably like some animals so much you will want to bring them home with you!
    One way you can find out what shelters are in your area is to go to www.petfinder.org and do a local search for dogs or cats in NH and the animals that come up will usually have the website links right on the names of the shelters they are at. Good Luck!

You guys inspired me to try and volunteer also! I was going to volunteer for Wasatch Humane. I have the application, but I haven't sent it in yet. The only no-kill shelter that I know if in Utah is Best Friends, and that's a loooong way from me. I think Wasatch Humane is a program that works with the kill shelters to try and adopt out more animals.

The Humane Society Of Hall County is the local shelter in my area and the only closest No Kill shelter is several hours away.

Cookiebaker, it is very admirable of you to want to volunteer. Just contact the volunteer coordinator at your local shelter and express your desire for wanting to help out. He/she will be able to point you in the right direction.

Some shelters require you have a shaperone if you are under 16 or 18. If you are not able to find a shaperone, you can still help out by collecting newspaper, blankets, toys, food, etc... and donating them to the shelter.

Thanks for the help, guys! Currently, I have an email into the local shelter and am eagerly waiting a reply. I think that if I haven't heard anything by Monday (I'll be away Fri-Sun) I will stop by and see them.

Ever since i started going to the Humane Society i've wanted to volunteer.[it's been a while since i've been going] And i couldn't because you had to be 14. Last year, just as i was turning 14.... they changed the age. I think you have to be 18 to volunteer.

~Kay, Athena, Ace, Kiara, Mufasa, & Alice!
    "So baby take a axe to your makeup kit
    Set ablaze the billboards and their advertisements
    Love with all your hearts and never forget
    How good it feels to be alive
    And strive for your desire"

-rx bandits

These are good ideas. I wish you well, and kudos to you and everyone that volunteers.
    Keeganhttp://www.dogster.com/dogs/256612 9/28/2001 to June 9, 2012
    Kylie http://www.catster.com/cats/256617 (June 2000 to 5/19/2012)
    Kloe http://www.catster.com/cats/256619
    "we as American's have forgotten we can agree to disagree"
    Kylie the Queen, Keegan the Princess, entertained by Kloe the court Jester
    Godspeed Phred and Gini you will be missed more than you ever know..