Thread: What shampoos do you like?

What shampoos do you like?

I'm opening my own grooming shop next month, and I have all of my shampoos that I love, but I love experimenting and so I'm going to take advantage of it now that I can!!

I was wondering what shampoos everyone likes? I prefer Nature's Specialties, Kelco, and Nature's Choice, and I love the high dilution rates -- it's not very often I use a shampoo that doesn't dilute well. Currently I'm looking at a shampoo called Ultra 84:1 Shampoo. The highest dilution rate I use right now is 50:1, so I'm excited to try this stuff. Has anyone used it before?
    I've been BOO'd!

I use Nature's Specialties. The only thing I don't like is the price.
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

My friend whose a groomer uses isle of dogs. Amazing shampoo!! I won't use anything else on my dogs.
    Thanks so much Ashley for the siggy!
    Zoey Marie NAJ NA RN (flat-coated retriever)
    Wynset's Sam I AM "Sage" RA (shetland sheepdog)
    T.j (english setter)

Fresh 'N Clean Original shampoo for dogs. I have used this for most of Casey's 13 years and she always smells so good afterwards.

If you end up with any dogs with skin problems I highly recommend
    Virbac Etiderm shampoo. Koko had severe dry skin and scab scaling on her back and underarms. We took her to the Auburn University School of Veterinary Medicine for evaluation. They put her on this shampoo and all of her skin issues are gone. They said for her we should not use anything else. I end up bathing her about once a week and it leaves her coat nice and shiny. It doesn't have the fragrance of some the the shampoos already mentioned but it sure has helped with Koko's skin issues. Price wise it can be found very reasonably on the net.

I love Nature's Specialties! The owner of the grooming shop I used to work in used it, and that's how I learned about it. I have used it almost exclusively ever since.

I use NS for all dog shows, and even use Quicker Slicker as a finishing spray before I go in the ring.

Conversely to what others have said, I think the price is more than fair. I usually pay about $25 for a 16 oz. bottle of Plum Silky, but that dilutes into two full gallons, so I can't complain! Even diluted that far, its cleaning power is far superior to other shampoos I have used.

The bluing shampoo works amazingly well (again, I use it for dog shows, so I think that says a lot!), and does not dry the skin like many bluing shampoos can. And the Quicker Slicker is a fantastic detangler and static preventor.
    Sarah, the human, Naples the Greyhound, Cooper, and Manero the Borzoi boys.
    Always in our hearts, Gunnar, and King-kitty, at the Rainbow Bridge.

Hair of the Dog by Doc's Blend GPA-WI NBRF

I use the doggy wash in town for the big dogs, i don't know what shampoo they use but the dogs are always so clean and smell so good afterwards.

For Henry I use some whitening shampoo..i like it alright but will probably switch to something else once it's all gone

If I do use a dog shampoo then I use Bark2Basics. I will only use coat handler conditioner though, nothing else.

Out of curiosity...where are you ordering your supplies from? I'm somewhat looking for a different place to get my stuff.

*Thanks Ashley*

Great replies everyone.. Helps alot with shampoo research. Love to know what everyone likes.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shelteez2 View Post
    Out of curiosity...where are you ordering your supplies from? I'm somewhat looking for a different place to get my stuff.
    I order from Petedge, Excalibur, and occasionally Hudson. I'm kinda looking around for new places too. I find Petedge to be the cheapest even though it's in the states.
    I've been BOO'd!

I have a confession to make.... I've used Nature's Specialties on myself for the past couple of years
    "There are two things which cannot be attacked in front: ignorance and narrow-mindedness. They can only be shaken by the simple development of the contrary qualities. They will not bear discussion."

Lord John Emerich Edward Dalberg Acton

We use Espree for most of our shampoos/conditioners, the highest diluting one is called Dog Gone Clean and its 50:1 - its what we use for the regular baths/wash faces as its tearless. I like it better than what we used to use ( Pro:35), but we tend to make it stronger than a 50:1 dilution to get a good suds. It has a nice, clean scent. We used to use Tomlyn and I think the Espree products work better. I'm not a big fan of Espree whitening though, it doesn't seem to whiten all that well and I don't really like the scent (smells like a bar of soap). We also use Espree conditioner (luxury remoisturizer), oatmeal and aloe shampoo, remoisterizing shampoo, and coal tar shampoo. They all seem to work well except the conditioner tends to take a while to rinse out. I believe the spa shampoos are made by Tropiclean and they work well too, I think it's a 16:1 dilution rate. I've never heard of Nature's Specialties, Kelco, or Nature's Choice - are they from Canada?

This may sound strange but I have been washing my two with Johnson's baby shampoo. It's been about 6 months now. I've tried a bunch of hypoallergenic brands and prescription vet brands but they all break Frankie out in hives for a few days after the bath. So far, the baby shampoo has worked. No hives, they smell nice and clean and they are getting used to the smell of baby shampoo for when baby girl comes.

Bark 2 basic is what I use in my shop and my boss has used for years.
    Conditioner I use show sheen.
    See ALL my pets here
    Dogs:Pixie.Shrek
    Cats:Milo.Duck.Hank.Molly.Zoe

R.I.P:Thunder.Rockee

Quote Originally Posted by beeniesmom View Post
    This may sound strange but I have been washing my two with Johnson's baby shampoo. It's been about 6 months now. I've tried a bunch of hypoallergenic brands and prescription vet brands but they all break Frankie out in hives for a few days after the bath. So far, the baby shampoo has worked. No hives, they smell nice and clean and they are getting used to the smell of baby shampoo for when baby girl comes.
    I do the same. I started using baby shampoo cause it was getting ridiculously expensive washing three dogs. Kai goes through sooo much shampoo.. the coat on that boy is unbelievable!

Kai [Sheltie], Kaedyn [Sheltie], Keeva [Malinois], Kwik [Malinois]

Quote Originally Posted by wolf_Q View Post
    We use Espree for most of our shampoos/conditioners, the highest diluting one is called Dog Gone Clean and its 50:1 - its what we use for the regular baths/wash faces as its tearless. I like it better than what we used to use ( Pro:35), but we tend to make it stronger than a 50:1 dilution to get a good suds. It has a nice, clean scent. We used to use Tomlyn and I think the Espree products work better. I'm not a big fan of Espree whitening though, it doesn't seem to whiten all that well and I don't really like the scent (smells like a bar of soap). We also use Espree conditioner (luxury remoisturizer), oatmeal and aloe shampoo, remoisterizing shampoo, and coal tar shampoo. They all seem to work well except the conditioner tends to take a while to rinse out. I believe the spa shampoos are made by Tropiclean and they work well too, I think it's a 16:1 dilution rate. I've never heard of Nature's Specialties, Kelco, or Nature's Choice - are they from Canada?
    Someone works at Petco, lol. I do too.

We make our Dog Gone Clean stronger than 50:1 too, for that same reason.

twitter.
    http://twitter.com/meganxxjo

now she's slowly opening
    new eyes.