Thread: Pooping issues..

Question Pooping issues..

My boyfriend and I recently bought a house together and moved in our 2 Jack Russells (Lilo & Stitch). Stitch, my dog, is the most wonderful dog. We have absolutely no problems with her (knock on wood). However, Lilo poops in the house everyday. These two go out 4-5 times a day and are out for long periods of time. Stitch will poop and pee outside; Lilo usually just pees outside. No sooner do we get into the house, Lilo will disappear and poop. She poops in one of three places and it is driving me crazy. She is 3 years old and was never properly trained, in my opinion. She used to go to the bathroom in her old house too, so it's not just this house. How do we properly train her? I try to reward her when she poops outside- I practically throw a party. We discipline her when she poops in the house- she knows she does wrong because her ears go down and she tries hiding under the bed. I am ready to take her back to my boyfriend's dad if this continues. Any advice would be appreciated.
    I love my Jack Russells, Lilo & Stitch!

Do you free feed or feed on a schedule? Feeding on a schedule helps to regulate their pooping times.

We feed at 8:30am and 7pm and all three go potty outside either before or after eating. They all go out while I get their bowls ready, they come in and eat and then go back out for about 5 min afterwards. I always tell them 'go potty' when I let the out as well.

I have no experience with potty training, so I cannot help you there. I'm sure someone else on here does though! =)

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Thumbs up regular schedule good idea

My daughter & I trained her dog from the time he was a pup. We crate trained him. It took only one time for him to have to lay in his urin & excrement to know that it wasn't a good idea to go to the bathroom where you live. A typical day went this way: As soon as I got up in the morning I'd take him outside to go potty, then I'd feed him & go through my morning routine. I'd take him for a quick walk before going to work, and crate him while we were not in the house. When I got home from work, the first thing I'd do would be let him outside to go; then I'd give him his supper & fix our food. & Just before going to bed he'd get one more walk. When he was a pup we'd crate him while we slept; after he didn't want to go into his "house" (that's what we called the crate) anymore, we just had to reason with him a little bit... unbelievably, he understood & has never given us a problem since.
    The thing here though is ROUTINE... once a dog gets a regular routine, they're fine... at night, if I happen to fall asleep in front of the tv my dog will let me know when it's time for his nightly walk because the regular routine is to take him out right after the weather report on the nightly news... you'll hear a little grumble & he'll nudge my foot... LOL he's so spoiled... but we love him soooooooo dearly, & he knows it
    Good luck with Lilo

Routine

We are really good at a walking routine. They know that they will go out before I leave for work (between 6-6:15), before my boyfriend leaves for work (between 8:30-9), when I get home (between 4:45-5) and before we go to bed (between 9:45-10:15). We do leave the food out for them to eat whenever they'd like, so that might be a problem. Maybe they need to be on an eating routine? We also put food in their crates when we leave for the day. Is that bad? Sometimes they eat the food and sometimes they don't. The problem with Lilo is, she will go outside but not poop. She will wait until we get back into the house and then go. It's like she's scared to poop outside. We try staying outside with her for long periods of time too. She is more concerned with sniffing and what is going on elsewhere then with actually going to the bathroom. My boyfriend works long days (usually 10-12 hours), so I thought maybe she was acting out because of this. I mean, she was 'his' dog before she was 'our' dog. Maybe she misses him? I just don't know anymore.

I could be a lot of the changes in her life all adding up and this is how she relieves stress. A very easy way to control her need to potty is to control her food intake. Since you'll know when she ate, you'll know when she needs to potty. I'd definitely recommend giving it a try. It might take a few days for them to realize, Oh I only get to eat now.. but they'll catch on.

When you start a routine.. I'd pick up the food bowls the night before.. let them nibble until 7 or 8.. and then pick them up and no more for the night. Then offer food in the morning, leave the bowls down for 15-20 minutes. Let them eat what they will, may not be all of it the first few times, until they catch on, but this is ok. Then offer dinner (10-12 hours later) and again, only leave the bowls down 15-20 minutes. Eventually they'll realize this is when they eat now.

Also, put them outside while you prepare the food, and then again after they eat, to ensure that they both go potty. =) Good luck!

Bunny: BoxerxSheppard mix, Eli: Boxer, Treo: Boxer
    Zeke [RB]: RottweilerxAustrailian Cattle Dog mix

Oscar & Chloe: White's Tree Frogs, Kiwi & Wasabi: Green Tree Frogs
    I sell DVDs and other miscellaneous stuff on eBay!

Blog Entries

Pooping in House

We use to have a fox terrier and we nick named him terrorist. he was a stray we picked up at our favorite fishing spot. he was looking pretty pathetic and he came up to me and sat down by me and would not leave. we got ready to go home and he came up to our jeep and looked so sad i could not leave him. and he was never potty broke we never did break him of peeing in the house. my husband and i both tried . we would feed him and water him and take him out side right after eating. we had a daily routine for him still no luck. we never had a problem with our other dogs . i know it's very discouraging but we just could not break him. best of luck
    linda

Quote Originally Posted by steelergrl View Post
    She poops in one of three places
    If she is going in the same three places maybe you should try covering those spots with puppy pads. Reward her for going on the pad and gradually move the pad toward the door and outside.

My Amaya wouldn't go outside as a pup. She was too interested in the world to realize she had to go potty. I eventually quit trying to take her out (we were spending 2 hrs at the park or in the yard with no success). She was doing great with puppy pads and because she is a small dog and I was living in an apartment at the time, we stuck to them. Now I could tell her "go pee-pee" and she'll go anywhere. I'm actually training my new 4 month old pup Aiden to go on the puppy pads as well. He too is too interested in the world when we go to the yard so he doesn't think about going potty until he comes back in the house.

Are you outside watching them while they're outside doing their business? Just wondering, since you say she's hiding when she poops inside the house. Sometimes dogs don't associate the scolding with the fact that they peed/pooed inside. But just that they did it in general, so they try to hide from their owners when they need to go. It doesn't necessarily have to be because you've been too hard on her or anything. Some dogs are just more soft than others
    Maybe you could try to hide somewhere while she's outside, so she can't see you but you can see her... and be ready to throw a party if she poops xD

If you don't think that's the problem. Then I suggest you keep trying to stay outside with her and perhaps have her on a leash. Don't walk around and let her explore. Just stay in the same spot and wait until she poops. If there is already a smell of pee/poop present in the location, she'll be more inclined to go.
    Same goes for inside. Make sure the areas she uses are extra well cleaned with something that completely gets rid of the smell. Perhaps some special kind of soap from a pet store, or something, would do the trick? I can't recommend you any specific brand tho', since I don't live in the states, so I don't know what kinds you have over there

I definitely also strongly recommend a feeding schedule
    Good luck!

More issues..

I started a normal feeding schedule (morning before we leave and at night while we eat). However, the issues have gotten worse.. Yesterday, we put the dogs in their crates (as normal) after they went outside and we left for work. When I got home from work, I smelled something right away. I went to Lilo's normal 'pooping places' and found nothing. I went into the basement where their crates are located. Lilo had removed the bottom piece of the crate, tore up her bed and scooted her crate across the floor- apparently pooping along the way. She also got a hold of my brother's inflatable chair and tore it to shreds-while in her crate!! I don't know what is going on with her. We thought maybe it was separation anxiety, but she doesn't exhibit any other signs of this. Would getting her spayed help with this? Could she be PMSing? She is no longer allowed to stay home by herself, so we now take her to grandpa's. It is completely out of our way, but I can't trust her.. Help!!
    I love my Jack Russells, Lilo & Stitch!

Is she in heat at the moment? Dogs can get very stressed out during that time, so it could explain her behaviour... but what you described sounds more like classic separation anxiety to me. And considering the lengths she takes to relieve her stress (by chewing) and the defecating in the crate, I think it's a pretty extreme one at that :/

It's going to take time and a lot of patience to curb the behaviour but it's definitely possible if you devote yourself to it