Thread: Pooping issues..

Hybrid View

Are you outside watching them while they're outside doing their business? Just wondering, since you say she's hiding when she poops inside the house. Sometimes dogs don't associate the scolding with the fact that they peed/pooed inside. But just that they did it in general, so they try to hide from their owners when they need to go. It doesn't necessarily have to be because you've been too hard on her or anything. Some dogs are just more soft than others
    Maybe you could try to hide somewhere while she's outside, so she can't see you but you can see her... and be ready to throw a party if she poops xD

If you don't think that's the problem. Then I suggest you keep trying to stay outside with her and perhaps have her on a leash. Don't walk around and let her explore. Just stay in the same spot and wait until she poops. If there is already a smell of pee/poop present in the location, she'll be more inclined to go.
    Same goes for inside. Make sure the areas she uses are extra well cleaned with something that completely gets rid of the smell. Perhaps some special kind of soap from a pet store, or something, would do the trick? I can't recommend you any specific brand tho', since I don't live in the states, so I don't know what kinds you have over there

I definitely also strongly recommend a feeding schedule
    Good luck!

More issues..

I started a normal feeding schedule (morning before we leave and at night while we eat). However, the issues have gotten worse.. Yesterday, we put the dogs in their crates (as normal) after they went outside and we left for work. When I got home from work, I smelled something right away. I went to Lilo's normal 'pooping places' and found nothing. I went into the basement where their crates are located. Lilo had removed the bottom piece of the crate, tore up her bed and scooted her crate across the floor- apparently pooping along the way. She also got a hold of my brother's inflatable chair and tore it to shreds-while in her crate!! I don't know what is going on with her. We thought maybe it was separation anxiety, but she doesn't exhibit any other signs of this. Would getting her spayed help with this? Could she be PMSing? She is no longer allowed to stay home by herself, so we now take her to grandpa's. It is completely out of our way, but I can't trust her.. Help!!
    I love my Jack Russells, Lilo & Stitch!

Is she in heat at the moment? Dogs can get very stressed out during that time, so it could explain her behaviour... but what you described sounds more like classic separation anxiety to me. And considering the lengths she takes to relieve her stress (by chewing) and the defecating in the crate, I think it's a pretty extreme one at that :/

It's going to take time and a lot of patience to curb the behaviour but it's definitely possible if you devote yourself to it