Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Remembering O.C.

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens

Remembering O.C.

It was one year ago today that O.C. (meaning "other cat"), made his journey to RB.

O.C. - I just want you to remember that I had no choice but to let you go, since the animal control laws here really stink. All I tried to do was to help you over your injury when I took you to the vet - little did I know the terrible outcome that was soon to follow. It wasn't fair that you had to be taken away from your best buddy Sherbie, and he still misses you so much. I do too!

But I know that you're having fun at RB with all your new friends, and that we will meet again one day. Until then - have lots of exciting adventures - but no chasing bunnies!

(Sherbie on left/O.C. on right)
    Last edited by pomtzu; 08-15-2010 at 05:20 PM.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

I'm sorry for the loss of OC - I know you still miss your kitty, and they look so cute together in that picture!

I have one question, and, if you don't want to revisit the event, you don't have to, but what animal control laws were in issue?

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    I'm sorry for the loss of OC - I know you still miss your kitty, and they look so cute together in that picture!

I have one question, and, if you don't want to revisit the event, you don't have to, but what animal control laws were in issue?
    No problem - I'll TRY to be brief!

O.C. and Sherbie were/are resident strays for several years - outside kitties taking up residence here - and I fed them. O.C. sustained an injury to his leg, so I took him to the vet for treatment. Being that it was an injury of unknown origin, my vet would have to consider the possibility of a bite by a rabid animal (I live in a rural area), and I had no proof of a rabies vaccine. That left only 2 options - one was to cage quarantine him here for 6 full months with only one person allowed to care for/treat him for that time, and the second was euthanasia. Since the quarantine would have been next to impossible, there was no alternative.

Then to make matters worse, my vet was required by law to report it as possible rabies to animal control. I in turn, was served the following day with a citation by animal control for failing to vaccinate MY cat. It seems DE law says that if you provide food to an animal for 3 days, then the state considers you the owner. I pleaded not guilty and took it to court, and the case was dismissed on a technicality.

So I was punished for feeding him and then trying to care for him when he got injured, rather than let him wander off into the woods and die a slow and painful death when the infection took over - and he lost his life because I elected to help him. It's a shame that the state doesn't put more time and effort in to punishing those guilty of neglect and abuse to animals, and not those who are being humane to them. Sends a very bad message - IMO!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

Is this a vet you knew? That seems a bit harsh. I know they're under obligation to report certain things, but, I would think in this case they could have considered it basically an anonymous drop off since the kitty was PTS. The citation just seems too much. Your story prompted me to look up what I could for Maryland law and it appears we have more leniency in that regard. There was something passed in 2007 which allows for the feeding of feral cats without penalty or "ownership".

In any case, thank you for attempting to do the right thing, and I am sorry for the loss of OC.

Quote Originally Posted by Pinot's Mom View Post
    Is this a vet you knew? That seems a bit harsh. I know they're under obligation to report certain things, but, I would think in this case they could have considered it basically an anonymous drop off since the kitty was PTS. The citation just seems too much. Your story prompted me to look up what I could for Maryland law and it appears we have more leniency in that regard. There was something passed in 2007 which allows for the feeding of feral cats without penalty or "ownership".

In any case, thank you for attempting to do the right thing, and I am sorry for the loss of OC.
    It was my regular vet, and while I realize she had an obligation under the law, I felt that it was harsh, under the circumstances. I don't blame her tho - she did what she had to do - and she could have lost her license if she got caught not reporting it. My gripe was with the state - and I let it be known when I went to court! Everyone that knows what happened, just can't believe the state would actually prosecute.
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I think that we have similar laws in Ontario as My Vet said that Ebony Beau Tubster who was FIP and had FELV was a stray that he personally had found so that the Animal Control would not bother me about the several Cats who live here.
    Thats a shame that that stupid Catch 52 kept you from adopting O.C.
    and took Sherbies Best Friend away
    They look so good together in that photo.
    You will be all be reunited in Paradise where there are no stupid beaurocrats.
    One Fine Day.
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

I don't know if we have such a law here in OH or not. Goodness, you tried to do the right thing and were punished for it and O.C. suffered the worst punishment of all. You did your best, Ellie, and O.C. knows that and loves you for the care that you gave him. A bittersweet memory, I'm sure. The pic is adorable.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Rest in peace Orange Cat.
    Ellie, I knew that Sherbie had lost a buddy but I didn't know the story. What a sad ending and I'm sure both you and Sherbie miss him terribly. It just isn't fair, especially when you were only trying to help him. But as you said, he is at Rainbow Bridge now and probably watches over sweet Sherbie. They look like they might have been littermates.
    Hopefully another cat who needs a home and a companion will find their way to your property and can share Sherbie's fab new outdoor cat house with him.

Quote Originally Posted by Emeraldgreen View Post
    Rest in peace Orange Cat.
    Ellie, I knew that Sherbie had lost a buddy but I didn't know the story. What a sad ending and I'm sure both you and Sherbie miss him terribly. It just isn't fair, especially when you were only trying to help him. But as you said, he is at Rainbow Bridge now and probably watches over sweet Sherbie. They look like they might have been littermates.
    Hopefully another cat who needs a home and a companion will find their way to your property and can share Sherbie's fab new outdoor cat house with him.
    Thanks Lara. Yes - it was a sad story!
    I think O.C. would have loved the "cat house". Sherbie sure does. Now that the weather is warming up, I need to do some Spring cleaning in there. He's shedding so bad, that it's now a fur-lined house too!
    No more strays here - just neighbor's cats passing thru. One has discovered that there is food in the house and I'm forever chasing him off. And I just thought that Sherb was eating a lot!!!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

This is such a Sad Story.. I just want to Cry for you & O.C... That is just Horrible that you had to make that decision.. Poor You & the Baby O.C... Many Many Huggss & RIP wittle O.C.= Play Hard at the Bridge..
    Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    No problem - I'll TRY to be brief!

O.C. and Sherbie were/are resident strays for several years - outside kitties taking up residence here - and I fed them. O.C. sustained an injury to his leg, so I took him to the vet for treatment. Being that it was an injury of unknown origin, my vet would have to consider the possibility of a bite by a rabid animal (I live in a rural area), and I had no proof of a rabies vaccine. That left only 2 options - one was to cage quarantine him here for 6 full months with only one person allowed to care for/treat him for that time, and the second was euthanasia. Since the quarantine would have been next to impossible, there was no alternative.

Then to make matters worse, my vet was required by law to report it as possible rabies to animal control. I in turn, was served the following day with a citation by animal control for failing to vaccinate MY cat. It seems DE law says that if you provide food to an animal for 3 days, then the state considers you the owner. I pleaded not guilty and took it to court, and the case was dismissed on a technicality.

So I was punished for feeding him and then trying to care for him when he got injured, rather than let him wander off into the woods and die a slow and painful death when the infection took over - and he lost his life because I elected to help him. It's a shame that the state doesn't put more time and effort in to punishing those guilty of neglect and abuse to animals, and not those who are being humane to them. Sends a very bad message - IMO!

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

Tomorrow it will be 3 years since O.C. made that final journey. We still miss him and think of him often. His pal Sherbie misses him the most, I think.
    In spite of the fact that O.C. wasn't with us for all that long a time, he left huge pawprints on our hearts, and we will never forget him. I'm sure he is looking down on all of us, and that he is happily awaiting the day he is with us again.

Love and miss you, little OrangeMan...

Sherbie left/OC right
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013

I am so very sorry. It reminds me of the phrase, "sometimes our best is not good enough". It doesn't help your grief. You did right by O.C., and that is the focal point. Hugs to you.

I still remember My Found and Porch Cats who have gone on ahead of me , I have their photos to remind me and lots of movies as well.
    We will invite OC to join us , especially for the double Sirloin Burger with cheese at the A&W.
    It will be our pleasure to share!!
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

May you blessed with fond memories on this sad anniversary. O.C. is looking down on you with great love.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

Quote Originally Posted by phesina View Post
    May you blessed with fond memories on this sad anniversary. O.C. is looking down on you with great love.
    Yes - many fond memories!
    OC was a big mushy love bug. I couldn't go outside and sit on the back porch without him climbing in my lap - purring up a storm.
    And he was pretty darn slick too. He and Sherbie were partners in crime. One Spring Sherbie found a bunny nest way back along the tree line, and raided it. He didn't want to hurt them - just play with them and bring them to me as a present. He methodically would get one - I'd take it away from him - and he'd go for another. It was about a 300' trek from the nest to the house, and he would put bunny down to take a rest - and then continue on. OC saw this and would wait until Sherbie put it down, then he would grab it and run into some dense shrubs with it, knowing I couldn't get to him. That stinker ate 2 of them that morning out of the 6 that Sherbie stole. I managed to raise 2 of them, but 2 more were too badly injured from Sherb's rather rough play!
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3

RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013