Thread: Cat's Ashes, What to do with them?

Cat's Ashes, What to do with them?

Hello Everybody.

My Aunt has just lost her sole companion, her elderly precious cat, Foster, who has been a reliable and constant support to her for nearly 20 years years.

Foster has been cremated and has been returned in a cardboard box, and each time I visit my Aunt, I see this little box sat where Foster used to sit on the windowsill. I know it sounds silly but I do not think she can bear to scatter the ashes just yet. I wanted to ask if anyone knew of any other way I could preserve the ashes for her, in perhaps a nicer vase or box or something I guess would eb a good start, but what about using the ashes as part of a decorative item? Has anyone ever done this? I remember hearing about a company that did this on the radio years ago, but cannot find them online, who used to mix the ash into a pottery vase,..

Any ideas,
    With Love
    Emily

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    I wouldn't do anything unless your aunt wants you to.

You can find many nice and appropriate containers - just Google "pet cremation urns". Even just a simple little wooden cedar box would be lovely - and put a brass nameplate on it with kitty's name. You can also have memorial beads made, but this takes only a very small amount of the ashes which are imbedded permanently in the glass.

And maybe you aunt doesn't want to scatter the ashes anywhere, but wants to keep them with her and perhaps be buried with her when she passes on. I have the ashes of several beloved pets that have passed on, and when I pass on I will be cremated, and their ashes will be mixed with mine and we will scattered in the ocean.

It's all a matter of preference, but leave it up to your aunt to decide.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

Alaska: Where the odds are good, but the goods are odd.
    Our vet returned Halo's ashes in a metal tin. I just can't bring myself to open it and put the ashes in another container. The tin is pretty enough, so I glued one of Halo's favorite toys (a champaigne cork) to the top.

I'm going to do the same for Willy's tin, but I haven't found his favorite ball yet. I know it's here somewhere and I'll find it when the time is right and glue it to the top.

I also get memory stones made from a couple on Etsy. http://www.etsy.com/shop/sjengraving?section_id=5703174

But, I'm with pomtzu. I don't think I'd change anything before talking to her about it.
    Ask your vet about microchipping. ~ It could have saved Kuhio's life.

Casey's ashes are in a beautiful wooden box. Kit-kats are in a black urn and so are Herbert T's. They are all lined up on my TV shelf where I can look at them and remember them.

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    <
    <
    <
    < I have the ashes of several beloved pets that have passed on, and when I pass on I will be cremated, and their ashes will be mixed with mine and we will scattered in the ocean.
    That's what I'm doing too. We don't have an ocean handy, but we all will be scattered together somewhere nice.
    I meant," said Ipslore bitterly, "what is there in this world that truly makes living worthwhile?"
    Death thought about it.
    CATS, he said eventually. CATS ARE NICE.

-- Terry Pratchett (1948—2015), Sourcery

I think your aunt needs to come to terms with her kitty's passing. In time, I'm sure she'll know when the time is right. My cats ashes will be combined with mine when I die and scattered in my favorite childhood place, Bolton Lake.

Rest In Peace Casey (Bubba Dude) Your paw print will remain on my heart forever. 12/02
    Mollie Rose, you were there for me through good times and in bad, from the beginning.Your passing will leave a hole in my heart.We will be together "One Fine Day". 1994-2009
    MooShoo,you left me too soon.I wasn't ready.Know that you were my soulmate and have left me broken hearted.I loved you like no other. 1999 - 2010See you again "ONE FINE DAY"
    Maya Linn, my heart is broken. The day your beautiful blue eyes went blind was the worst day of my life.I only wish I could've done something.I'll miss your "premium" purr and our little "conversations". 1997-2013 See you again "ONE FINE DAY"

DO NOT BUY WHILE SHELTER ANIMALS DIE!!

Quote Originally Posted by pomtzu View Post
    I wouldn't do anything unless your aunt wants you to.

And maybe you aunt doesn't want to scatter the ashes anywhere, but wants to keep them with her and perhaps be buried with her when she passes on. I have the ashes of several beloved pets that have passed on, and when I pass on I will be cremated, and their ashes will be mixed with mine and we will scattered in the ocean.
    My thoughts exactly.

For anyone who may not have looked at the actual ashes - they are beautiful. When we received the ashes of Phineas, the first cat we had cremated, I had to see what they looked like. What a surprise - they looked like crushed beach shells - pale orange/apricot and white. I never expected anything so lovely

We have many cats, and one dog, buried in the back yard. For each one, the ashes are in a ziplock bag, inside a tupperware container. I also enclosed a laminated picture of each pet, along with a copy of the Rainbow Bridge poem. On top of each grave is a marker with their name and years of their lives.

Right now we have Duffy's ashes waiting - for Spring. He died in December, so we need to wait for the ground to warm up. He will be buried in the Hill Garden in our back yard - a place where he loved to lie in the sun.

Thank YOU everyone for your kind worlds and sensible advice!

I broached the subject with my Aunt last night, and I really don't think the time is right to do anything at the moment. She said she wants her cat near, but does agree that looking at a cardboard box isn't very fulfilling! I have looked around on the web and there are quite a few items being offered and ash containers, memorial containers, but the all look,... so,... I don't know,... urn-like?!

I did find a picture that was quite fun, I will see if I can link it, it was on facebook and I am really not very good at these things. It was a vase that was made using the ashes of a cat in the glaze.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fb...type=1&theater

Thanks again to all, I think I will pop back and let you know what we conclude in the future. Morbid subject I know but we all need to think about these things at some point.

Emily xxx

Delaware, USA - The First State/Diamond State - home of The Blue Hens
    Not to shoot down your idea of the vase, but I personally would never put ashes into or incorporate them in anything glass or ceramic. What if it would get knocked over and broken??? - then what?

This cedar box is what I did for my "Bear" - a simple cedar box with his picture that I laminated and affixed to the top, and a brass nameplate. Simple, but it serves the purpose and I don't have to worry about it getting broken either. It has his ashes, along with his AKC papers, his favorite Nylabone, a piece of fabric I cut from "his" bed, and a few dried flowers from an arrangement that I received when he passed.

Just an idea for you - and your aunt could still sit this on the windowsill where her kitty liked to sit.

Sorry - had to post 2 pics since just one showed up too big and I couldn't make it smaller...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	other 2013003.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	954.3 KB 
ID:	56028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	other 2013004.JPG 
Views:	108 
Size:	922.1 KB 
ID:	56029  
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Wolfy ~ Fuzzbutt #3
    My little dog ~ a heartbeat at my feet

Sparky the Fuzzbutt - PT's DOTD 8/3/2010
    RIP 2/28/1999~10/9/2012
    Myndi the Fuzzbutt - Mom's DOTD - Everyday
    RIP 1/24/1996~8/9/2013
    Ellie - Mom to the Fuzzbuttz

To everything there is a season, and a time to every purpose under the heaven.
    Ecclesiastes 3:1
    The clock of life is wound but once and no man has the power
    To know just when the hands will stop - on what day, or what hour.
    Now is the only time you have, so live it with a will -
    Don't wait until tomorrow - the hands may then be still.
    ~~~~true author unknown~~~~

This is Tama's urn and the black box underneath has some sympathy cards, his medication and his sweaters in it.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_0786.JPG 
Views:	104 
Size:	1.83 MB 
ID:	56030
    `````````````````````````
    I love my furkid Neko!

^TAMA^ 8/24/00 - 4/27/12 Thank you for being in my life I love you always and forever

I never had had My Cats ashes returned they were cremated with other Pets at my Vets and then interred by the wishing well there.
    I have photo montages of My Dear Cats to remember them and their photos are there so we can share meals together
    THE RAINBOW BRIDGE FOUND HOTEL ANGELS HAVE A NEW FRIEND IN CORINNA.

ALMOND ROCCA BATON AND ELLIE ANGELS ARE GUARDIANS TO ETERNAL KITTENS ROCC-EL AND T TEEN ANGEL, ALMOND ROCA , VLAD , PAWLEE , SPRITE. LITTLE HEX, OSIRIS AND ANNIE ANGELS.
    EBONY BEAU TUBSTER AND PEACHES BW SPIKE & SMOKEY

NOW PRECIOUS AND SAM ARE TOGETHER WITH ETERNAL KITTENS SAMMY ,PRESLEY, SYLVESTER AND SCRATCHY JR , MIGHTY MARINA, COSMIC CARMEN, SAMSON ,UNDER KITTY AND SUNKIST AUTUMN & PUMPKIN.
    MIA AND ORANGE BLOSSOM ANGELS HAVE ADOPTED TUXIE , TROOPER , SONGBIRD AND LITTLE BITTY KITTIES MIA-MI BLOSSOMER, TUXEDO AND DASH AS THIER ETERNAL KITTENS.
    PRINCESS JOSEPH AND MICHAEL ARE CELEBRATING 19 YEARS AS LUCKY FOUND CATS

My RB Sassy's ashes are in a pretty paw print tin. I placed it on top of my dresser where she spent her kittenhood making me angry
    getting up there and throwing items off. Now she can sit up there forever.
    http://petoftheday.com/talk/signaturepics/sigpic9646_1.gif
    Forever in my heart...
    Casey.Ginger.Corey.Mandy.Sassy
    Lacey.Angel.Missy.Jake.Layla