Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Malachi's "big snip" - update: his neuter "out of norm" :(

Malachi's "big snip" - update: his neuter "out of norm" :(

I dropped Malachi off today for his neuter surgery. Gosh, it's been so long since I've had a pet in for a spay/neuter and it's just amazing how worried you get. Poor little Malachi was trembling when I dropped him off. He's gained 2 pounds since the last time I was at the vet! He's now 7 pounds! He's getting to be a big boy!

I sure hope everything goes ok!
    Last edited by wolflady; 04-06-2009 at 01:57 PM.

Best wishes for Malachi! I'm sure he'll be home and snuggling with Phinehas in no time.

Poor little Malachi. I remember that for boys it's rather easy but I still would be worried. All the best for the little guy.

Malachi just think what a Bigg Boy you will grow to be without those NumNums back there.. I just know you will be fine.. Yes its normal for meowmom to be so worried.. Update us ok..

~~~Thank You Very Much {Kim} kimlovescats for the Grand Siggy~~~

[[ Furr Babies are Like Potato Chips **** No One Can Have Just One ]]
    ****** Kindness, Mercy & Justice to All Living Creatures ******
    {{{{{Everyday is a Gift = That's why it's Called the Present }}}}}
    ((( Each Day With Our Pets is a Surprise Package Waiting to be Opened )))
    <Sunsets are God's Reminder to Us That At The End of the Day We're All In This Together>

malachi don't give up those widout a fight man!

yr friend don juan el gato magnifico y hermoso
    [b]"Virtue is triumphant only in theatrical productions." --The Mikado

I'm sure your boy Malachi will be just fine but we'll send up prayers anyhow because they're our furkids and they're so special to us.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

Update from Dr. Boltz - neuter "out of norm" :(

Of course something would happen *sigh*

I've been having so much trouble with my kitties lately that I guess I shouldn't be surprised that this wasn't a simple surgery. I'm glad that Rachel updated me, but now I'm expecting a huge bill since poor Malachi needed to be put under twice!

Dr. Boltz said his neuter was "a little out of the norm" because she noticed that after his surgery, he was bleeding from his scrotal sacks. He wasn't hemorrhaging, but he was bleeding more than she would have liked. She had to put him back under to find out which one the blood was coming from (the left) and she ended up putting a suture in.

She also ran a CBC to check on his blood cell count, because she couldn't quite figure out why he would be bleeding. She mentioned that Orientals can be prone to hemophilia (at this point I'm starting to panic) so she wanted to check the blood cell count to rule that out. Luckily, it came back fine (thank goodness!) and he wasn't anemic. She gave him an injection of antibiotics, so he shouldn't need anything when I pick him up tonight at 5pm. I just hope he's fine and once I get him home we won't have any more issues.

We're still fighting the feline herpes virus with both Malachi and Phinehas, which is pretty frustrating, so I don't want to add any additional medical issues for these guys.

Dr. Boltz said that she'll be checking him every half an hour until I pick him up, so hopefully this little glitch with his neuter was just that...a little glitch.

Sending best thoughts for sweet Malachi- hoping for good news tomorrow.

Oh no. I know how worried you were about taking him in today. I'm sorry he had to be put under twice. That alone is just scary!!
    I'll be glad (and I'm sure you will too) to hear that Malachi is home and on the road to recovery. I will also hope everything goes smoothly for his recovery as well.

Hugs to you!! And gentle hugs for Malachi when he gets home.
    Our goal in life should be - to be as good a person as our dog thinks we are.

Thank you for the siggy, Michelle!

Cindy (Human) - Taz (RB Tabby) - Zoee (RB Australian Shepherd) - Paizly (Dilute Tortie) - Taggart (Aussie Mix) - Jax (Brown & White Tabby), - Zeplyn (Cattle Dog Mix)

Ummm...not to be rude, but should you be charged for Malachi being put under again if it MIGHT - MIGHT have been the vet's responsibility? As in - if he wasn't stitched up properly the first time?

Not trying to create trouble, just wondering.

HUGS and I know Malachi will be better soon. I hope his Grandpa doesn't hiss at him because he smells funny!

HUGS to you all!
    "Do or do not. There is no try." -- Yoda

Malachi, wishing you a speedy recovery!

I have a feeling he will be feeling woozy for a while.
    Hugs to Mom!

Oh goodness, poor little guy and poor you. I know how worried you were. Prayers are continuing for Malachi's speedy healing w/no problems whatsoever.
    Blessings,
    Mary

"Time and unforeseen occurrence befall us all." Ecclesiastes 9:11

not sure about an extra charge Depends on the method they used. Some vets use sutures to tie off the vessles, some use surgical clips, and others just tie a knot in the blood vessel itself.

Does Malachi ever catch mice? I have heard that since mouse poison causes hemorraging in rodents, sometimes cats who eat those mice are slower to clot.

I thought for a minute you were gonna say that they only found one testicle and had to hunt for the other. Be glad that wasn't the case! Those retained testicles tend to hide real good

Quote Originally Posted by Catty1 View Post
    Ummm...not to be rude, but should you be charged for Malachi being put under again if it MIGHT - MIGHT have been the vet's responsibility? As in - if he wasn't stitched up properly the first time?
    My thinking is along the lines of aTailOf2Kitties's. It's actually not normal for a cat neuter to require ANY sutures, believe it or not. I think it sounds like this vet did a good job and caught the bleeding rather early.

Poor Malachi just can't get a break. I hope he recovers from his surgery lickety-split and can get back to the good things in life....like cuddling with sweet Phinehas!

Many thanks to Roxyluvsme13 & k9krazee for my great new siggy!!
    *click* Kirk's Recovery Thread *click*

Karen, I'm just now seeing this. I knew that today was the big snip and I've been thinking about him all day and hoping that everything went well. I'm so sorry to hear that he had bleeding and had to be put under twice. I'm glad that Dr. Boltz did the surgery and I'm sure that he'll be just fine. I hope that Malachi will heal up quickly and that both he and Phinehas will finally stay happy and healthy for a long time to come.